Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 AM

269 posts, read 468,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't think people outside the U.S. recognize Texas other than the stereotype of a cowboy. They might know Texas by old western movies but otherwise it is not well-known.
Completely false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:52 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
It is the most well known US state in the world,not trying to sound superior or anything but that's the truth,some Europeans (which is what most people on here consider "the rest of the world") and other well educated peoples of other countries know many different if not all the states but on a scale of most common even in highly uncommon places,California will ring a bell before say Texas or Rhode Island or Nebraska,so on,so forth. New York is 2nd (or tied) by name recognition thanks to NYC.
California is probably the most well-known subnational entity (that is states, provinces, territories, regions, etc) in the world. What else even comes close?

Maybe Texas/Hawaii/Florida? Ontario? Quebec?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 AM

672 posts, read 1,789,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
California is probably the most well-known subnational entity (that is states, provinces, territories, regions, etc) in the world. What else even comes close?

Maybe Texas/Hawaii/Florida? Ontario? Quebec?
Absolutely correct. California by far based on my travels, backpacking in through India, Southeast Asia, Australia, Europe.

Nothing more has to be said after you say you're from California. For those who have been there, people automatically gush and will tell me it's the only place in the US they would consider living in. For those who have never been there, the image of California is so overwhelmingly positive that that I have to calm them down because it gets too embarrassing for me.

I don’t know if it’s Hollywood, the weather, the beauty, the liberalism, or the schools, but CA truly moves people in a way I don’t think any other state can.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:33 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
People are concentrating on what states are popular in the united states instead of the world. California and texas are extremely popular states in America but are no competition to New York when it comes to name recognition overseas.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
People are concentrating on what states are popular in the united states instead of the world. California and texas are extremely popular states in America but are no competition to New York when it comes to name recognition overseas.
I disagree. People know New York because of NYC. But I don't think they know that NYC is in the state of New York nor could they tell you anything about it other than Niagara Falls. NYC is obviously the most identified city. But when it comes to states, Texas, Florida, and especially California rapidly closes the gap.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I would think California would be more popular then NY in Asia as far as name recognition. Same thing CA, TX, and FLA in Latin America.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I disagree. People know New York because of NYC. But I don't think they know that NYC is in the state of New York nor could they tell you anything about it other than Niagara Falls. NYC is obviously the most identified city. But when it comes to states, Texas, Florida, and especially California rapidly closes the gap.
Exactly, people in the US barely know much about NY state beyond NYC.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM

I remember seeing an NFL player on TV talking about how he got drafted to play for Buffalo, and he thought Buffalo was in the NYC metro area.LOL

Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Than maybe new york should be dismissed from the argument than. Considering the city and state share the same name. If not, it still stands that the name "New York" (which happens to be the name of the state) is the most recognizable. Regardless if it comes from the city or not

Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
NYC is the most known city in the U.S to outsiders, but are they really knowledgeable?

I had people saying New Jersey was a city, and the state of NJ was a part of NY state. (This was in Ireland)

Last edited by BPerone201; 03-09-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City