Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

My family(Navy) is ready to move!!!Any inputs would be VERY helpful!!! PLEASE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
I would choose San Diego.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:06 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
Are you Hawaiin? If not, you gotta go with San Diego (North County in particular where the schools are better and it is full of families). Hawaii is a great place to visit or retire, but a weird place IMO to raise kids unless your extended family is from there. Geographically it is one of the most isolated spots in the world. Whites without local ties are not always treated well if they are residents unless they are retirees. San Diego is very middle American, but just in a good climate.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 PM

515 posts, read 987,271 times
Definitely San Diego.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM

698 posts, read 1,510,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Are you Hawaiin? If not, you gotta go with San Diego (North County in particular where the schools are better and it is full of families). Hawaii is a great place to visit or retire, but a weird place IMO to raise kids unless your extended family is from there. Geographically it is one of the most isolated spots in the world. Whites without local ties are not always treated well if they are residents unless they are retirees. San Diego is very middle American, but just in a good climate.
I would disagree with this completely. Yea if you move to one of the more rural areas on one of the islands you might not be so welcome but if you were to move to Oahu/Honolulu the people are very accepting of outsiders considering the fact that a good amount of the of residents living there are outsiders themselves. I just moved out to Honolulu and the people I have met have been nothing but friendly and have wanted to include me into the culture and help make Island life as comfortable as possible for me. I have never been so socially active in my life.

I would choose San Diego based off of much better public schools but if schooling is not an issue or if you can afford private schools going the Hawaii route would be what I recommend.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,633,946 times
Oahu. I am sick of hearing that whites get treated unfairly there. That's completely false. Of course we sometimes make fun of mainlanders, it's not like you are going to be some social outcast. The state is made up of a fairly decent about of transients. Hawaii is amazing and I highly recommend that. The public schools aren't very good, but decent enough through grade school. For high school, I'd recommend Punahou School, but I'm biased because I went there for a year.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM

515 posts, read 987,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
I would disagree with this completely. Yea if you move to one of the more rural areas on one of the islands you might not be so welcome but if you were to move to Oahu/Honolulu the people are very accepting of outsiders considering the fact that a good amount of the of residents living there are outsiders themselves. I just moved out to Honolulu and the people I have met have been nothing but friendly and have wanted to include me into the culture and help make Island life as comfortable as possible for me. I have never been so socially active in my life.

I would choose San Diego based off of much better public schools but if schooling is not an issue or if you can afford private schools going the Hawaii route would be what I recommend.
Bingo. Hawaii is beautiful and fun, however I think SD is better for raising a family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Oahu. I am sick of hearing that whites get treated unfairly there. That's completely false. Of course we sometimes make fun of mainlanders, it's not like you are going to be some social outcast. The state is made up of a fairly decent about of transients. Hawaii is amazing and I highly recommend that. The public schools aren't very good, but decent enough through grade school. For high school, I'd recommend Punahou School, but I'm biased because I went there for a year.
Didn't Obama go there?

Old 03-19-2010, 02:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,633,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Bingo. Hawaii is beautiful and fun, however I think SD is better for raising a family.

Didn't Obama go there?
Yes he did!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,944 times
Hawaii public schools are not good. As much as I love Hawaii, the "culture" is not one that fosters academics. Though there are good private schools throughout Hawaii. If I were raising kids (been there, done that! I'm a grandma now!) it would definitely be San Diego. I have been living in Hawaii (and working a lot on the mainland) for about six years; just retired, and as I have friends who are teachers there, I plan to volunteer in the schools...they are VERY underfunded.
KonaSue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City