Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I've noticed that NYC drivers tend to be the slowest drivers ever on not urban roads. On urban roads, they'll fly past, but heaven forbid there's more than 50 yards where you don't have to stop, they seem baffled.
That's probably because the speed limits aren't as high as other places. Plus people tend to drive slow when they don't know where they're going, that's probably why people are seeing NY/NJ drivers "cruise" on the highway in other places. I've witnessed this first hand in Florida on I-4 when we blazed through 70 miles then slowed down for about 10 miles trying to find an exit.

I'd say NY/NJ drivers drive the fastest, on urban streets, suburban streets, highways, etc. It is not a game lol. I don't know anyone that drives slow. People drive fast but I've only witnessed maybe 3 accidents in my life, they know what they're doing.

I think NY/NJ is the Speed Demon capital. Never have I seen the pull-over lane and the grass on the side used as extra lanes, that happened last year on the NJ turnpike when we was going to Six Flags, like who does 50 in the grass lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Which city have you driven in where people just seem to not be aware of the existence of a speed limit?
Indianapolis on Memorial Day weekend.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:59 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Okay...you are wrong. Consider yourself corrected.

Seriously, the drivers in Raleigh/Durham are tame compared to where others are suggesting.

Houston, Miami, Atlanta, DC and Chicago come to my mind as particularly fast driving cities. Of course, these places also have ridiculous traffic. So, they only drive really fast when they aren't sitting still or crawling in rush hour traffic.

Conversely, I find California cities to be quite tame in regards to driving and speed when compared to many, many places in the East. Perhaps the PNW is also tame? This might be why you think Raleigh/Durham is "fast".
Yeah felt like the PNW, or at least from my impression from I-5 through Seattle, drivers are pretty tame.

In Southern California, particularly SD, LA, and OC, I found a mix of fast and slow drivers, and not in any particular lane either. Someone could be doing 50 in the left lane, or 100 in the right lane. Here is my impression from driving in Cali: the car in front of you is driving too slow, the car behind you is tailgaiting you, and the car in lane you're trying to merge into is driving too fast so you can't get in front of it.

Of the other cities you mentioned, the only one I've driven in is ATL, and yeah we do drive fast. The speed limit on the freeways is only 55, but everyone does 80.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 AM

20 posts, read 49,564 times
Definitely Atlanta on I-285. If you drive under 75 mph expect to get ran off the road.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Okay...you are wrong. Consider yourself corrected.

Seriously, the drivers in Raleigh/Durham are tame compared to where others are suggesting.

Houston, Miami, Atlanta, DC and Chicago come to my mind as particularly fast driving cities. Of course, these places also have ridiculous traffic. So, they only drive really fast when they aren't sitting still or crawling in rush hour traffic.

Conversely, I find California cities to be quite tame in regards to driving and speed when compared to many, many places in the East. Perhaps the PNW is also tame? This might be why you think Raleigh/Durham is "fast".
Thanks for the correction.

Actually I have driven in most major cities in the U.S., and seriously, Raleigh/Durham (atleast on the freeways) was quite fast. But, again, this was just one day, perhaps I hit a time when everyone had just visited Starbucks.

Funny, the south in general seems quite sedate on city streets, but turns up the heat on freeways. NYC is just the opposite, quite fast and agressive on city streets, but slow on the freeways (or "expressways" as they are called locally).

Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 AM

335 posts, read 675,773 times
Chicago.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
People in LA drive fast on the freeways, but are extremely slow on city streets. Everyone says that Bay Area drivers are slower than their LA counterparts, but my experience has been the direct opposite. The drivers up here are insane! - then again, I do live in Oakland...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
I have driven extensively in every major city, here is my take.

Noticeably or excessively fast: Chicago, Atlanta, LA, Houston, Miami

Honorable mentions: Dallas, DC, Toronto, San Fran (san jose), Nashville

A little slow for a bigger metro: Minneapolis Seattle, Boston, Denver, Baltimore, Phoenix, Philly

Annoyingly slow: Austin, San Antonio, Memphis, Kansas City, St Louis, New Orleans

Worst drivers: San Antonio and Kansas City

San Antonio due to their proximity to Mexico where drivers have no idea how to drive in big USA metros. The Mexican trucks towing cars down the left lane of I-35 to Mexico are the worst, but slow drivers are always to the left etc and all the pickup trucks are just annoying.

Kansas City just has the worst drivers period and they are not from Mexico. KC is the WORST city in the country for people trying to get onto a freeway going 30-40mph. You run into that in all metros on occasion, but in KC, it's every time you get on the freeway. Very dangerous. Plus, people in KC drive very slow during commute times as though to create a rush hour problem that should not exist because it's simply slow driving that caused gridlock in KC, not volume 90% of the time.

Best drivers: Chicago and DC.

People drive stupid in all towns, but I think Chicago and DC both have the best drivers for their respective conditions and traffic. People tend to know how to merge and most are attentive enough to let others merge, they tend to use signals more often and there is "less" people totally clueless on the cell phone. They do this while managing to drive at high speeds when they can while not totally losing their minds when things are all clogged up still pretty friendly allowing merging etc.

Every city has a fair share of absolutely retarded drivers though.

I also find it true that NYC drivers are slow outside of NYC, especially the further away from the east coast they get when the speed limits hit 65-70 mph, but they drive very fast on the urban freeways and parkways around NYC when you are feet from other cars and walled in with retaining walls and sharp turns. The highways around Manhattan are a blast to drive on when it's not rush hour, it's like a video game.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 60,934 times
Surprised at no mention of Michigan drivers or Kansas drivers

Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
New York and Miami definitely have the fastest drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City