Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
yea but northern california isnt next to alabama, so the similarities kind of end there
When I say Florida and California, I'm not talking about the climate necessarily. I mean as far as urban set up. SoCal and SoFla have a VERY similar urban setup, that is UNSEEN in many other states. The way the houses are built(Spanish, Mediterranean style) the HIGH density both have, even in suburban areas, the beach cities, and beach culture, the high Hispanic population, the way the highways run through the cities and how they use highway sound walls to block out the car noises for the residents that live adjacent to the highway(kinda long, I know). The urban setup between the 2 are virtually unseen outside the these 2 respective regions. You can Google map alot of places within the LA basin and Google map alot of places in in the SoFla tri-county area and see the similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
California doesn't have a twin, but has plenty of relatives. It seems like its an amalgamation of 3 US regions in one.

Northern California has a whole lot in common with the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon), in terms of topography (coastal forests, hills, agricultural valleys, mountains, etc.) and culture.

Southern California has a whole lot in common with the Desert Southwest (Arizona and New Mexico) in terms of culture (both HEAVILY Mexican influenced, libertarian and somewhat conservative) and topography (except the coast, of course, but both have high mountains and dry deserts)

The Sierra Nevada region and much of Eastern California has a whole lot in common with the Intermountain West (Utah and Colorado), since there are not only high mountains but also an arid region to the east of those mountains.

Nevada is pretty much an extension of California, especially considering that 90% of its population lives within an hour of the California border.

I can see why people would think Texas and California would be twins, since they are both mega states with 4 relatively prominent metro areas (LA, SF Bay, San Diego, and Sacramento in CA/Houston, DFW, San Antonio, and Austin in TX), but I wouldn't consider them twins but rather separated brothers.

Coastal SoCal COULD have a lot of commonalities with SoFla/Florida since they are both heavily Hispanic and geographically restricted in terms of where people could live, but SoCal doesn't have the Caribbean influences nor the 'tropical wonders' that SoFla is known for.

Just IMO.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:29 PM

26 posts, read 23,760 times
PA AND NY
CLOSE
SAME SIZE
both use jersey
major cities in the south east
all sports teams
historic
architecture
tourist traps
POCONOES
WEALTHIEST.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
When I say Florida and California, I'm not talking about the climate necessarily. I mean as far as urban set up. SoCal and SoFla have a VERY similar urban setup, that is UNSEEN in many other states. The way the houses are built(Spanish, Mediterranean style) the HIGH density both have, even in suburban areas, the beach cities, and beach culture, the high Hispanic population, the way the highways run through the cities and how they use highway sound walls to block out the car noises for the residents that live adjacent to the highway(kinda long, I know).
Not just a Florida thing...that is very common here in Texas too, to build sound isolating walls along roads & freeways.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
California doesn't have a twin, but has plenty of relatives. It seems like its an amalgamation of 3 US regions in one.

Northern California has a whole lot in common with the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon), in terms of topography (coastal forests, hills, agricultural valleys, mountains, etc.) and culture.

Southern California has a whole lot in common with the Desert Southwest (Arizona and New Mexico) in terms of culture (both HEAVILY Mexican influenced, libertarian and somewhat conservative) and topography (except the coast, of course, but both have high mountains and dry deserts)

The Sierra Nevada region and much of Eastern California has a whole lot in common with the Intermountain West (Utah and Colorado), since there are not only high mountains but also an arid region to the east of those mountains.

Nevada is pretty much an extension of California, especially considering that 90% of its population lives within an hour of the California border.

I can see why people would think Texas and California would be twins, since they are both mega states with 4 relatively prominent metro areas (LA, SF Bay, San Diego, and Sacramento in CA/Houston, DFW, San Antonio, and Austin in TX), but I wouldn't consider them twins but rather separated brothers.

Coastal SoCal COULD have a lot of commonalities with SoFla/Florida since they are both heavily Hispanic and geographically restricted in terms of where people could live, but SoCal doesn't have the Caribbean influences nor the 'tropical wonders' that SoFla is known for.

Just IMO.
That's basically the jist of what I was trying to say. I should've worded it like that. LA County with the unpopulated desert region, and South Florida with the unpopulated Everglades.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not just a Florida thing...that is very common here in Texas too, to build sound isolating walls along roads & freeways.
True, I have seen that in Houston.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Yeah, I ALWAYS said TX and CA were similar, but when I said it here on C-D(about a year ago) people were like "What the heck are you talking about, you're crazy!!" All of a sudden when other people say THE SAME THING THAT I SAID A YEAR AGO, everyone seems to like that ideal and embrace it. That's not fair!!!lol

Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM

I'm just saying, when you look at South FL from above, on Google maps, and you look at SoCal from above, the juxtaposition of the all the smaller cities and larger cities to form one big conglomerate of densely populated counties and urban area, they look similar.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
True, I have seen that in Houston.
They are in Dallas too!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
Upstate New York and parts of Michigan have eerily similar place names. (Probably due to settlers coming from NY and taking the place names with them when they went to michigan.) Except, the sizes of the places are different, so it's kind of like Bizarro World version.

For example, in NY, Lansing is a small town, while in Michigan it's a city (and the capital). Other shared place names: Waverly, Oneida, Dewitt, Bath, Locke, Leroy, Aurelius, Onondaga, Brookfield, Eaton, Clarence... the list goes on and on. It's kind of creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City