Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM

17 posts, read 31,905 times

Advertisements

...To live in, which one and why? I'm trying to figure out where I'd like to move to. I currently reside in the "most dangerous city in the world" (Detroit), and want to relocate but would like others input on the two cities. I know far more about Atlanta than Houston, but it was suggested that I check Texas out...so have it at...give me your thoughts .

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by OnlyCuzImMe; 04-17-2010 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
You can't go wrong with either one of them imo.

In the South: Check
Big city amenities: Check
High Black Population: Check
Close proximity to other nice places: Check (Atlanta to Charlotte NC, Myrtle Beach SC, Charleston SC, Savannah GA and Houston to Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, South Padre Island)

I'm from Texas so of course i'm gonna say Houston but Atlanta is no loser.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:05 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,543 times
Houston. Warmer Weather Closer to a Beach. Better city.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Houston. Warmer Weather Closer to a Beach. Better city.
Yeah which means Houston also is susceptible to hurricanes like the one that hit a few years ago.

Atlanta is close to mountains.

But unless the OP is independently wealthy, retired, or can work from home, I assume getting a job should be priority #1 in which case Houston would be the better choice right now.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Atlanta IMO, and I love Texas. I just couldn't live in Houston because of the super-high humidity. It's bad enough here in the DFW area, but in Houston it's awful, almost as bad as New Orleans or somewhere in Florida.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 AM

324 posts, read 659,809 times
Least see how this thread turns out...

Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCuzImMe View Post
...To live in, which one and why? I'm trying to figure out where I'd like to move to. I currently reside in the "most dangerous city in the world" (Detroit), and want to relocate but would like others input on the two cities. I know far more about Atlanta than Houston, but it was suggested that I check Texas out...so have it at...give me your thoughts .

Thanks in advance!
It depends on what your looking for. Atlanta and Houston are different cities and they both offer something the other doesn't. Perhaps a little more information on what your looking for in a city will help.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:57 PM

17 posts, read 31,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It depends on what your looking for. Atlanta and Houston are different cities and they both offer something the other doesn't. Perhaps a little more information on what your looking for in a city will help.
Thanks so much for everyone's input.

Here's a little more info....

I'm looking for a city that has warmth and sun most of the year. A somewhat mild winter, a great school system, a stable economy (as stable as it could be in 2010), great dining, shopping, and night life. Lots of activities and events. Diversity, but also offers a solid African American Community that showcases and promotes growth, stability, focus, and success. Somewhere that is friendly and when you say hello or good morning people don't look at you like you are speaking a different language. Low crime, and family oriented.

Hope that helps.

Once again thanks.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
0My love is for Atlanta.That said in this economy Houston is doing better than not just Atlanta,but almost every major city.That does not mean Atlanta's economy is in the tank either but depending on what type of job you are looking for,Atlanta may not be the right choice for now.On almost any other measure though,Atlanta wins IMO.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:01 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCuzImMe View Post
Thanks so much for everyone's input.

Here's a little more info....

I'm looking for a city that has warmth and sun most of the year. A somewhat mild winter, a great school system, a stable economy (as stable as it could be in 2010), great dining, shopping, and night life. Lots of activities and events. Diversity, but also offers a solid African American Community that showcases and promotes growth, stability, focus, and success. Somewhere that is friendly and when you say hello or good morning people don't look at you like you are speaking a different language. Low crime, and family oriented.

Hope that helps.

Once again thanks.
Houston has sunnier and warmer weather, though more humid. Also, Define mild winter, do you prefer winters without snow? Then its Houston, if you want at least some snow yearly, then Atlanta.

Don't know much about schools, but it looks like Houston schools are better. Just by looking at the top 100 schools in the nation, you can see 4 are in Houston, and I found none in Atlanta. Although that is just one tiny metric to compare. It all depends on where you end up living.

Dining goes to Houston.

Shopping goes to Atlanta.

Lots of activities and events in both cities.

I think night life goes to Atlanta.

I think Atlanta is more African-American oriented, although Houston is good as well.

Diversity goes to Houston, and its very open and accepting, for the most part.

Houston has a lower crime rate, and would probably be more family oriented.

Overall, I would go with Houston, however if having that African-American oriented community is what you think is the most important, then I can see why one might lean towards Atlanta.

Last edited by SouthmoreAve; 04-18-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City