Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
I would argue that Houston and Miami share very strong reggaton (spelling?) scene too...
And I would agree with you, having been involved in that scene a few years ago, though I've never been to Miami.

As another poster pointed out, Houston's music scene has a lot going on, more than people give it credit for. The scene there is much more DIY/homegrown/organic... it's not as "pro" or mature as Atlanta's, outside of maybe rap, country, zydeco, and Tejano... but it's there. Houston's scene it's just not as media-savvy so it doesn't play up its positives, but this is also Houston's problem overall... bad publicity, and lack of publicity. I think this homegrown/organic component is true of most Texan/Southern cities. It's something I haven't experienced much in other parts of the country anyway. This tendency for Texans/Southerners to still play and create music locally is pretty strong, but that also means these places are maybe not as connected to genres with international appeal like house and other electronic music. But that's part of the charm, IMO. It's what gave birth to American music forms originally.

Okay, tangent over... LOL

Back on-topic... Atlanta probably has a better house scene because of the influx of New Yorkers and other East Coast residents.

Last edited by houstoner; 05-14-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Probably Atlanta since I'm not too far away to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City