Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Trust me, they talk like that down there. I've dated someone from Louisiana and she talked just like that. It was like she was trying to talked with a northern accent, but failing miserably.
what do you mean "trust you" lol? as if my own personal experience of southeastern louisiana means nothing?

anyway, you sound like you're talking about a new orleans accent, which is VERY different from the rest of the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
what do you mean "trust you" lol? as if my own personal experience of southeastern louisiana means nothing?

anyway, you sound like you're talking about a new orleans accent, which is VERY different from the rest of the state
He could be talking about anywhere east of Baton Rouge or south of I-12.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well Dallas accent is very similar to NOLA, Ark, and parts of TN (specifically Memphis).

I agree northern LA, ARK and North Texas accents are very similar. I have a friend from Little Rock and he sounds no different from the people in DFW. From "First 48 Hours" I found that Memphis black people are very similar in nature (attitude & accent) to the blacks in Dallas.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:41 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Where in that post did you feel the need to make a post discussing his supposed bizarre obligation to his loyalty to Texas? Why does it matter anyway? But in his post, he didn't knock Atlanta but just gave him information about Houston.
Where he said "I'm from Texas so of course I am going to say Houston"...his only justification for suggesting Houston is that he is from Texas.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Is there someone around here with a PhD in linguistics? LOL...

Yes, even the great know-it-all Grindin is admitting that I don't exactly know what in heck a dipthong or how to properly describe a vowel shift.

That's the best way to really describe the variety of dialects within The Southern accent
I studied speech-language disorders for a little while, and study voice.

A dipthong is two vowel sounds that glide from the first vowel to the second vowel, like OO OU AI EI. There are also tripthongs

Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Get a person from Houston and a person from Atlanta to say down. Your going to hear "dine" vs. "dyin'"
Get a person from Mississippi and a person from Louisiana to say car and you get "kah" vs "kawh"

The drawls decrease from east to west and the twangs from north to south, so the individual words have to shift as well.
I haven't heard "dyin" for down yet. I don't think that Atlantans today have a distinct/noticeable accent. It was already mentioned, but, it does depend on the person's family background (are they from ATL?), education level, and surrounding. I have a theory, ATL's accent will become a weird blend of Southeast(the Carolinas, Alabama, VA, and FLA), Midwest (Ohio, Illinois, Michigan) Northeast(tri-state area and PA), Appalachian (TN), and Canadian (the Ontario province). I don't know any Canadians yet but that's based on either people I know (or people I have crossed paths with) and the tags I see around town.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I haven't heard "dyin" for down yet. I don't think that Atlantans today have a distinct/noticeable accent. It was already mentioned, but, it does depend on the person's family background (are they from ATL?), education level, and surrounding. I have a theory, ATL's accent will become a weird blend of Southeast(the Carolinas, Alabama, VA, and FLA), Midwest (Ohio, Illinois, Michigan) Northeast(tri-state area and PA), Appalachian (TN), and Canadian (the Ontario province). I don't know any Canadians yet but that's based on either people I know (or people I have crossed paths with) and the tags I see around town.
it's actually not dyin, there's just no way to actually spell the pronunciation that I know of. I disagree, Atlanta has a very distinguishable southern accent, as does Houston, Dallas, etc. I don't know where all these people that claim that the accents are gone spend their time, but hang in any areas where there are natives and the accents are there. Sometimes natives make these claims and I think to myself "maybe they're so used to it that they don't realize it." or maybe it's just more noticeable when you live in a place where drawls are rare.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times
Gotta agree that Southeast Louisiana people pronounce car, Kawh...I also agree that Dallas' accent is some sort of odd confluence between an Arkansas, a Western Tennessee, and a Midwestern accent. While Houston's accent strikes me as being a blend of Louisiana with maybe a mild Atlanta semblance; but much slower of course. Texans in general talk slow.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Gotta agree that Southeast Louisiana people pronounce car, Kawh...I also agree that Dallas' accent is some sort of odd confluence between an Arkansas, a Western Tennessee, and a Midwestern accent. While Houston's accent strikes me as being a blend of Louisiana with maybe a mild Atlanta semblance; but much slower of course. Texans in general talk slow.
I disagree. I think only certain parts of Texas talk slower like East Texas and Southeast Texas. However, central and North Texas do not.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I disagree. I think only certain parts of Texas talk slower like East Texas and Southeast Texas. However, central and North Texas do not.

Ill agree to disagree here...I actually think Dallas people talk noticeably slower than people from the Southeast. I dont think they talk as slow as Houstonians but I do think they talk slowly compared to people from Florida, Atlanta or Memphis. From what Ive experienced, people from East of Mississippi talk with a quicker clipped pace than people in Mississippi and westward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City