Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 01:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
DUDE
You said that Texans don't like Californians as if that means they can't be connected. I brought up that many Southeast Texans seem to resent South Louisianans, even tough we both know that Texas and Louisiana are beyond connected. THAT WAS MY POINT with that. Not only that, but South Louisiana have the same connections to California as Southeast Houston versus being connected more to say Atlanta.

For the last time, nobody is claiming anything CULTURAL. You are pulling that from thin air. We are talking about connections between people, ie: relatives, migration patterns, and the small cultural exchanges that occur as a result from them.
okay, i understand that but this whole conversation started from you comparing southeast texas' relationship with california to its relationship with louisiana, and my point was that comparison is apples and oranges

Quote:
Trust me when I say that the number of people moving to Houston from Alabama and Mississippi (especially) is much larger than the number moving from Houston to Mississippi. The number of people moving between GA, NC, SC and Houston are not that strong compared to the number of people moving westward.
i seriously doubt that houston has more transplants from california than it does from the southeast. you're going to have to prove that

Quote:
We are so far off topic that I'm gonna just agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
okay, i understand that but this whole conversation started from you comparing southeast texas' relationship with california to its relationship with louisiana, and my point was that comparison is apples and oranges
Obviously you don't understand. Southeast Texans are known to dislike both, but they still have connections with both.

Quote:
i seriously doubt that houston has more transplants from california than it does from the southeast. you're going to have to prove that
What does people from Houston migrating to California long ago and having familial connections with California have to do with transplants from California in Houston?

My Point -> you haven't gotten much of anything we've said or you just don't want to.

-----------------------------------------
Oh actually there is a post on here that proves that.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Obviously you don't understand. Southeast Texans are known to dislike both, but they still have connections with both.

What does people from Houston migrating to California long ago and having familial connections with California have to do with transplants from California in Houston?

My Point -> you haven't gotten much of anything we've said or you just don't want to.

Oh actually there is a post on here that proves that.
(sigh)...i don't think it's so much that we disagree with each other, but we're misunderstanding each other.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:

BAM! SOI Tax Stats - Migration Data - Texas (http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/article/0,,id=214167,00.html - broken link)

2007- 2008 State To State Migration Flows - INFLOW

TO: 48-Texas

CA CALIFORNIA 30,286

LA LOUISIANA 12,613

AR ARKANSAS 6,069

TN TENNESSEE 4,812

MS MISSISSIPPI 3,253

Texas (2007-2008)

Top 5 Inflow States
1. California
2. Florida
3. Louisiana
4. Oklahoma
5. Florida

BAM! http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

BAM! http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-8.pdf

Old 04-29-2010, 02:14 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Domestic migration data. -> post #13 | Texas -> post #1 | California

Old 04-29-2010, 02:32 PM

And before anyone gives me any crap:

2007-2008 County-to-County Inflow SOI Tax Stats - Migration Data - Texas (http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/article/0,,id=214167,00.html - broken link)

Harris County, TX (2007-2008)

Top 10 Inflow (From Out of state)

1) Foreign (Overseas)
2) Los Angeles County, CA
3)
Cook County, IL
4) San Diego County, CA
5) Miami-Dade County, FL
6) Orleans Parish, LA
7) Maricopa County, AZ
8) Jefferson Parish, LA
9) East Baton Rouge Parish, LA
10) Orange County, CA

Fort Bend County, TX (2007-2008)

1) Los Angeles County, CA
2) San Diego County, CA
3) Cook County, IL
4) Broward County, FL
5) Miami-Dade County, FL
6) Tulsa County, OK
7) Orange County, CA
8) Maricopa County, AZ
10) Clark County, NV

*Drops mic and walks out with my finger lifted up like I'm in church*

Old 04-29-2010, 02:37 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Like I said, the connection is there and I said it was significant but from looking at those stats, it maybe is even stronger than I thought. Also surprised how high Miami is concerning Houston.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
And before anyone gives me any crap:

2007-2008 County-to-County Inflow SOI Tax Stats - Migration Data - Texas (http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/article/0,,id=214167,00.html - broken link)

Harris County, TX (2007-2008)

1) Foreign (Overseas)
2) Los Angeles County, CA
3)
Cook County, IL
4) San Diego County, CA
5) Miami-Dade County, FL
6) Orleans Parish, LA
7) Maricopa County, AZ
8) Jefferson Parish, LA
10) Orange County, CA

Fort Bend County, TX (2007-2008)

1) Los Angeles County, CA
2) San Diego County, CA
3) Cook County, IL
4) Broward County, FL
5) Miami-Dade County, FL
6) Tulsa County, OK
7) Orange County, CA
8) Maricopa County, AZ
10) Clark County, NV

*Drops mic and walks out with my finger lifted up like I'm in church*
close, but where are the stats saying that inflow from california outnumbers inflow from the south?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
close, but where are the stats saying that inflow from california outnumbers inflow from the south?
Texas connection with the south only goes as far as Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Arkansas. Texas and California have had a strong connection and it's not anything recent.

Houston and Dallas are to the West Coast what Atlanta and Miami is to the northeast.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I led you to the water, but I'm not about to show you how to drink it. Click the link and look up the numbers. Also, I posted some links in the post right up above //www.city-data.com/forum/13962555-post274.html one regarding Harris County that answered your question, PLUS I posted some numbers that showed that the California-Texas Migration outnumbered the top Southeastern state inflow migration to Texas combined.

It's obvious there is no convincing you of this, even when I provided links and stats. If you want to stubbornly hold on to what you're saying despite evidence to the contrary, be my guest. It seems that the Houston posters are essentially saying the same thing and backing up what I'm saying.

Last edited by grindin; 04-29-2010 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City