Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You win. Here's your gold star: http://www.library.drexel.edu/blogs/thesuggestionbox/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/gold-star-2.jpg (broken link)

Wear it with pride.
Now was that so hard to do? BTW...thanks for the star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
it's not that much of an over-statement. it's not like i'm saying beaumont and new orleans are the exact same place, but they are FAR more similar than texas and california.
Who's saying that Texas and California are exactly alike? I'm saying that the two have connections. To go on, SE TX, SW LA, and SE LA all have similarities, but they are 3 distinct places with 3 different dominant cultures.

Quote:
i wouldn't be surprised by anything. i have lived in south carolina and i have lived in eastern texas (including houston) and the cultural differences are trivial at best. houston is in the south, so how could it possibly be more similar to california than places it shares a region with?
Again, I'm not saying that they are exactly alike. The regions are connected via migration patterns and history. Nobody said they were similar, even though they are, and no one is talking culture . I don't know anything about East Texas, but the South Coast has strong ties with Cali from SE Texas well into Coastal Mississippi where they begin to gravitate towards GA, etc.

Quote:
as far as the rap goes, yes there are some houston artists with connections to california, but they do not represent the whole city. many of the artists underground have that pure, southern, REAL houston sound
Even the PURE Houston music is closer to the west than the southeast. Just compare rap from Dallas to music coming from Houston. Compare it any music on the Gulf Coast from Chorpus Christi to New Orleans. It doesn't shift until Biloxi and eastward.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Even the PURE Houston music is closer to the west than the southeast. Just compare rap from Dallas to music coming from Houston. Compare it any music on the Gulf Coast from Chorpus Christi to New Orleans. It doesn't shift until Biloxi and eastward.
Yep. If you listen to to old K-Rino and South Park Coalition sound from back in teh late 80s and 90s, you would think you're hearing something from LA.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Who's saying that Texas and California are exactly alike? I'm saying that the two have connections. To go on, SE TX, SW LA, and SE LA all have similarities, but they are 3 distinct places with 3 different dominant cultures.

Again, I'm not saying that they are exactly alike. The regions are connected via migration patterns and history. Nobody said they were similar, even though they are, and no one is talking culture . I don't know anything about East Texas, but the South Coast has strong ties with Cali from SE Texas well into Coastal Mississippi where they begin to gravitate towards GA, etc.
half of this makes no sense to me. all i know is that houston is more connected to the southeast than it could ever be to california. i'm even pretty sure that there are blacks from places like mississippi and alabama than there are californians

Quote:
absolutely not. you mean to tell me that people like juve and soulja slim are more comparable to california artists than say artists from georgia or florida? new orleans bounce music sounds way more like something you'd hear in atlanta or birmingham than you'd hear in los angeles

and as far as houston goes, all you and spade are doing is taking artists with obvious west coast influences (spm? really?) and probably comparing them to crunk/snap music in georgia

all of this really isn't saying much anyway, because a lot of folks used to say groups like outkast and goodie mob sounded west coast back then

Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
half of this makes no sense to me. all i know is that houston is more connected to the southeast than it could ever be to california. i'm even pretty sure that there are blacks from places like mississippi and alabama than there are californians
You really don't get it.........

Quote:
absolutely not. you mean to tell me that people like juve and soulja slim are more comparable to california artists than say artists from georgia or florida? new orleans bounce music sounds way more like something you'd hear in atlanta or birmingham than you'd hear in los angeles
You do realize that Juvenile and Slim were actually bounce artists turned rappers right and only 2 out of thousands. You also should know that Bounce and New Orleans Rap are two completely different genres. Cash Money started as a bounce label and bounce can be traced to Harlem M.C.s (there are several sub genres to bounce that all sound different.
NOLA has always had a large undrground hip hop seen and I guarantee 90% of it sounds west or east coast vs southern. Atlanta and Dallas style music barely gets airplay in NOLA anyway.

Quote:
and as far as houston goes, all you and spade are doing is taking artists with obvious west coast influences (spm? really?) and probably comparing them to crunk/snap music in georgia
Well hasn't our argument been that it was influenced by the west? I'm looking at more than just GA

Quote:
all of this really isn't saying much anyway, because a lot of folks used to say groups like outkast and goodie mob sounded west coast back then
Well why go this far with it?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
No.. You really REALLY don't get what I'm saying.

Houston is in the south. Mississippi and Alabama are in the south. Of course they will have CULTURAL similarities and Houston as a little influence on MS as well.
DO REALIZE that during the migration, while people from MS and AL were moving to IL, IN, and MI in droves; people from the Gulf Coast were moving to CA.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
No.. You really REALLY don't get what I'm saying.

Houston is in the south. Mississippi and Alabama are in the south. Of course they will have CULTURAL similarities and Houston as a little influence on MS as well.
DO REALIZE that during the migration, while people from MS and AL were moving to IL, IN, and MI in droves; people from the Gulf Coast were moving to CA.
you say that, but then turn around and compare SE texas' relationship with louisiana to its relationship with california

what i'm trying to get you to understand is that southeast texas and louisiana are very similar in culture, southeast texas and california ARE NOT. therefore, SE texas is far more connected to louisiana than it could ever be to california

Old 04-29-2010, 01:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
My argument is not that one area is connected more to a certain place over the other. My argument is that a connection between Houston and the West Coast exists and it is pretty significant.

Quote:
i'm even pretty sure that there are blacks from places like mississippi and alabama than there are californians
Maybe so, but that does not mean there are not many Black Californians in Houston. Most Black Californians choose Texas over any Southern state due to proximity and history.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:19 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
you say that, but then turn around and compare SE texas' relationship with louisiana to its relationship with california

what i'm trying to get you to understand is that southeast texas and louisiana are very similar in culture, southeast texas and california ARE NOT. therefore, SE texas is far more connected to louisiana than it could ever be to california
I don't think WBNola is denying that there are stronger connections between SE TX and LA than there are between SE TX and Cali. It's pretty obvious that the Louisiana/Texas connections are much stronger, so how you interpreted that from his statements, I have no idea.

But he is making a case that there are SE Texas-California connections as well. They may not be as strong as the connections to Louisiana, but they are there and strong in their own right. You make it sound as if there are virtually no connections between the two, and that's simply not true.

An analogy would be the connections between Georgia and New York. Obviously, the connections with other parts of the Southeast to Georgia would be stronger, but there is a strong Georgia-New York connection. It may not be necessarily all cultural, but the connections are there.

Last edited by grindin; 04-29-2010 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
DUDE
You said that Texans don't like Californians as if that means they can't be connected. I brought up that many Southeast Texans seem to resent South Louisianans, even tough we both know that Texas and Louisiana are beyond connected. THAT WAS MY POINT with that. Not only that, but South Louisiana have the same connections to California as Southeast Houston versus being connected more to say Atlanta.

Quote:
For the last time, nobody is claiming anything CULTURAL. You are pulling that from thin air. We are talking about connections between people, ie: relatives, migration patterns, and the small cultural exchanges that occur as a result from them.

Trust me when I say that the number of people moving to Houston from Alabama and Mississippi (especially) is much larger than the number moving from Houston to Mississippi. The number of people moving between GA, NC, SC and Houston are not that strong compared to the number of people moving westward.

We are so far off topic that I'm gonna just agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City