Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
5.8 million versus 5.5 million is a pretty similar size in population in the grand scheme of things--however your comparisons with Inner Loop Houston in the City of Atlanta are quite compelling and underlines the fact that both metros share way more similarities than differences. Houston is definitely more diverse, but both cities share similar growth patterns, similar urban landscapes, and somewhat similar climates. To argue in extreme superlatives (this isn't directed to anyone in particular) is complete folly when comparing and contrasting these two metros.
Yeah, 5.9 million versus 5.5 million isn't that big of a difference, but I wouldn't call it slightly larger. Slightly larger to me is the difference between Philly's MSA and Houston's MSA. I do agree with your post though. +rep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No it doesn't. It's just that Houston has a different scene than Atlanta. Houston has a great blues and jazz scene. It also has a great Tejano and Salsa scene which is superior to Atlanta's just as Atlanta's House scene (though this is the first I've heard of it) is superior to Houston's.
Well I admit that I should not have said "sucks".That would emply that it is so far behind.Houston has all those things,but Houston just is not known for its music overall like Atlanta.Yes they have the rap component.I do think Houston has better quality rap.But Atlanta owns the sales and the airwaves.Indie rock wise Atlanta has always had a good thriving scene,I just saw a buddies band last Saturday in L5P along with 3 other bands that were phenominal.

Latin music,partcularily Tejano is always gonna be Houston.s forte.No one is tring to deny Houston of anything.You can have Tejano music.(yuk...LOL),
Look its not scientific ,its just my opinion.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:16 AM

571 posts, read 1,281,992 times
I would argue that Houston and Miami share very strong reggaton (spelling?) scene too...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'd like to hear one Atlanta Rap/Hip Hop group that originated back in the 80's. There is none.
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
Two words...Geto Boys.

They helped define Southern Gangsta Rap back in the late 80's.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Well I admit that I should not have said "sucks".That would emply that it is so far behind.Houston has all those things,but Houston just is not known for its music overall like Atlanta.Yes they have the rap component.I do think Houston has better quality rap.But Atlanta owns the sales and the airwaves.Indie rock wise Atlanta has always had a good thriving scene,I just saw a buddies band last Saturday in L5P along with 3 other bands that were phenominal.

Latin music,partcularily Tejano is always gonna be Houston.s forte.No one is tring to deny Houston of anything.You can have Tejano music.(yuk...LOL),
Look its not scientific ,its just my opinion.
Well now this is a better comment. I dislike Tejano myself but I am fond of Salsa and other rythmic Latin music.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 AM

See this what I mean.The inner loop of Houston may have the same population but as far as I can remember is that some of those ethnic neighborhoods are out of the inner loop.It is not as diverse in the "inner loop" as the entire city.In any case even if that not correct,Houston's city limitys are more than 4 times as big.So we should compare apples to apples.Houston is bigger than NYC(area wise)

You posted a link that listed the international immigration rates in a column for each city.It does not take a rocket scientist to know that the majority of that migration is coming from Mexico.Nice try and very misleading.Yet this is what people look at and come up with conclusions without looking at the whole picture.The American Community Survey from the Census was posted and had it broke down.Many you(i don't know if you did) did not acknowledge that.Because again things change all the time.
And again,I NEVER said Houston was not as diverse or denied that it was even more.My argument was that as you see in those same numbers the margins are minuscule.Also my argument was that diversity is measured by different ways really depending on what what and who is doing the measuring.That is why I brought up the thing about House music.Also why I made the comment about being black is not African American.Its African too.That is why I posted the link and the info about Atlanta's African population.It ranks third in the nation after NYC AND DC.That is TOTAL numbers not percentage wise.Houstons African population much like its Hispanic population overwhelmingly comes from one country in .Nigeria and Mexico.In Atlanta the African population was definitely more spread out.Just like in Atlanta the Europeans were more represented in Atlanta.

It is a fact that Atlanta has and is attracting more people from more countries than Houston from all over the world and NOT Latin America.That is a Census fact.So all of you can say what you want but no one is providing statistical evidence to back up there claims.Here are the links.

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2006-2008

Look at the area where it says World Region of Birth in each city.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 7,965 times
I'll pick Houston over Atlanta any day.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I missed this before.Are you serious?Your comprehension is weak.I said :Atlanta has heavy rail system.I asked a question.How is that starting anything based on a question I asked?It was in reference to heavy rail that NO oNE has even brought up after that.Allenk893 started it when he said" atlanta is lacking and way too southern".That my friend is "starting something".

Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 7,965 times
Quote:
See this what I mean.The inner loop of Houston may have the same population but as far as I can remember is that some of those ethnic neighborhoods are out of the inner loop.It is not as diverse in the "inner loop" as the entire city.In any case even if that not correct,Houston's city limitys are more than 4 times as big.So we should compare apples to apples.Houston is bigger than NYC(area wise)

You posted a link that listed the international immigration rates in a column for each city.It does not take a rocket scientist to know that the majority of that migration is coming from Mexico.Nice try and very misleading.Yet this is what people look at and come up with conclusions without looking at the whole picture.The American Community Survey from the Census was posted and had it broke down.Many you(i don't know if you did) did not acknowledge that.Because again things change all the time.
And again,I NEVER said Houston was not as diverse or denied that it was even more.My argument was that as you see in those same numbers the margins are minuscule.Also my argument was that diversity is measured by different ways really depending on what what and who is doing the measuring.That is why I brought up the thing about House music.Also why I made the comment about being black is not African American.Its African too.That is why I posted the link and the info about Atlanta's African population.It ranks third in the nation after NYC AND DC.That is TOTAL numbers not percentage wise.Houstons African population much like its Hispanic population overwhelmingly comes from one country in .Nigeria and Mexico.In Atlanta the African population was definitely more spread out.Just like in Atlanta the Europeans were more represented in Atlanta.

It is a fact that Atlanta has and is attracting more people from more countries than Houston from all over the world and NOT Latin America.That is a Census fact.So all of you can say what you want but no one is providing statistical evidence to back up there claims.Here are the links.

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2006-2008

Look at the area where it says World Region of Birth in each city.
Shut up! No one is even reading your post its all TL;DR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City