Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i'll never understand how the west coast is so "connected" to folks all the way down in houston. two completely different worlds
Well just like New York and the East Coast is connected with Atlanta which are two completely different worlds or how London and NYC and Tokyo are connected to each other when they are all completely different worlds.

Houston and the state of Texas has a connection with the west because many Westerners migrated from Texas. There is also a large West Coast population in Texas and possibly the largest in the Southern US because of mostly proximity. Not to mention that people see that Texas was what California use to be 40 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well just like New York and the East Coast is connected with Atlanta which are two completely different worlds or how London and NYC and Tokyo are connected to each other when they are all completely different worlds.

Houston and the state of Texas has a connection with the west because many Westerners migrated from Texas. There is also a large West Coast population in Texas and possibly the largest in the Southern US because of mostly proximity. Not to mention that people see that Texas was what California use to be 40 years ago.
last i checked, californians and texans couldn't stand each other lol

Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
I just took a look at the OP's first post, and then I read some of the posts after my last one.

Looks like we're on a witch hunt to find out which of these two cities out do each other huh?
The topic was relocation, I don't think the OP could care what city Kanye represents.

The real topic should be about the amenities offered in both cities and how they differentiate between each other, not how one outdoes the other... lets stick to the topic here people.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
last i checked, californians and texans couldn't stand each other lol
Yeah and Southeast Texans can't stand South Louisianians, but look how connected they are. Many people in these areas, especially blacks, have ties to SoCal and the Bay Area.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yeah and Southeast Texans can't stand South Louisianians, but look how connected they are.
yeah, but these two areas are culturally very similar

Quote:
Many people in these areas, especially blacks, have ties to SoCal and the Bay Area.
still, i'm sure most have more ties to the southeast

i just think people put too much emphasis on whatever connections california and texas have

Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I just took a look at the OP's first post, and then I read some of the posts after my last one.

Looks like we're on a witch hunt to find out which of these two cities out do each other huh?
The topic was relocation, I don't think the OP could care what city Kanye represents.

The real topic should be about the amenities offered in both cities and how they differentiate between each other, not how one outdoes the other... lets stick to the topic here people.
You should have tried to reform this thread on like page 5. It's too late now.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You should have tried to reform this thread on like page 5. It's too late now.
Hahaha, I'm always late to enter the thread parties taking place here on CD.
We are now cursed! Lol! I mean seriously it got to the point where they started comparing the people born in both cities and talking about influence of other people like Kanye! This is so crazy!!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No argument when it comes to volume and exposure.
Quality when it comes to lyricism, Houston has Atlanta beat on this regard. I can name all the lyrical rappers in Houston if you like, but you most likely never heard of many of them because Houston lacks that exposure. Houston's hip hop scene is known all over the world and is very popular on the West Coast.
Actually it's rhetorical I knew and listen to alot of Houston rappers when alot of them were underground all through the 90s and early 2000s especially swishahouse and rap-a-lot artists. so surprise me.

I say it again I dare someone to name all lyrical rappers in Houston that have a deal and I come back name someone of the lyrical rappers from Atlanta I guarantee you Atlanta scene will out number Houston in both quality and quantity. Again lets say people don’t like D4L snap music and don’t like BME crunk music, most artists part of Grand Hustle, Dungeon family, DTP are lyrist, and than some.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Actually it's rhetorical I knew and listen to alot of Houston rappers when alot of them were underground all through the 90s and early 2000s especially swishahouse and rap-a-lot artists. so surprise me.

I say it again I dare someone to name all lyrical rappers in Houston that have a deal and I come back name someone of the lyrical rappers from Atlanta I guarantee you Atlanta scene will out number Houston in both quality and quantity. Again lets say people don?t like D4L snap music and don?t like BME crunk music, most artists part of Grand Hustle, Dungeon family, DTP are lyrist, and than some.
well you have to remember that "quality" is subjective. what might be good to you may be junk to someone else. even still, it's pretty safe to say that houston is the more respected city when it comes to lyricists

you mention grand hustle, dungeon family, and dtp. and i can honestly say that not one single artist on either of those rosters do i consider to be an above average lyricist. big mike is cool, though

Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
I'd go with Atlanta only because the location is more convenient to my friends and family who are all on the east coast or west coast (but not middle of the country).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City