Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 11:24 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'd go with Atlanta only because the location is more convenient to my friends and family who are all on the east coast or west coast (but not middle of the country).
How is Atlanta more convenient than Houston for people on the West Coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
So you think Atlanta is more diverse than Houston? Please note than none of your fellow Atlanta forumers back you up and told you it wasn't a while back in this thread, yet you keep insisting. I'm done with this, because I'm just using it for cheap comedy now.
I cant say it is or is not.It does not seem aqny more ore less.That has been my point all along.You keep wanting to hear me say that but honestly I think its too hard to tell.Although based on those numbers and other factors(if I were soley looking at numbers)I say Atlanta has a slight edge.

By the way I don't need someone to tell me what I Know or how I feel.You apparently do need that.I'm sure a nice cult in a small town a few hours North west of Houston would have loved to have had you join them back in the day.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:57 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well you have to remember that "quality" is subjective. what might be good to you may be junk to someone else. even still, it's pretty safe to say that houston is the more respected city when it comes to lyricists

you mention grand hustle, dungeon family, and dtp. and i can honestly say that not one single artist on either of those rosters do i consider to be an above average lyricist. big mike is cool, though
The average person in Atlanta does not know about Houston rappers and The average person in Houston dosen't know about Atlanta rappers. but like I said it's dare and you can post videos. People like to count Atlanta bad rappers and not good I have a friend back in Texas who saying stuff about Atlanta and how Texas is so lyrical. Until I show him a few this things about Atlanta. I telling you straight the amounted of Lyrical work from Houston does amount to Atlanta, I not saying Houston have good rappers but Atlanta has alot more lyrical rappers than Houston.

Houston

YouTube - DJ DMD - 25 Lighters Feat Lil Keke & Fat Pat

Atlanta

YouTube - Goodie mob - Cell therapy

Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
yeah, but these two areas are culturally very similar
"very" is an over-statement. Not to mention significant amounts of sub cultures like creole (not Haitian) can only be found in CA and Mexico outside of TX and LA.

Quote:
still, i'm sure most have more ties to the southeast

i just think people put too much emphasis on whatever connections california and texas have
apparently, you'd be surprised. even the music from those areas and CA is closer to each other than the rest of the south. You can even look at the number of people moving back and forth to those places vs the southeast.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
last i checked, californians and texans couldn't stand each other lol
Not really. While they maybe some disagreements. There is still a connection. Look at the colloborations in hip hop between the two states. It's pretty deep especially between Houston and the Bay Area. You go to both areas, and they know about each other's hip hop scenes. There are more examples but that's just one. Also, Westbank brought up a good point. Many black Californians have alot of family with black Texans and I am one of them as I have family in the Bay.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The average person in Atlanta does not know about Houston rappers and The average person in Houston dosen't know about Atlanta rappers. but like I said it's dare and you can post videos. People like to count Atlanta bad rappers and not good I have a friend back in Texas who saying stuff about Atlanta and how Texas is so lyrical. Until I show him a few this things about Atlanta. I telling you straight the amounted of Lyrical work from Houston does amount to Atlanta, I not saying Houston have good rappers but Atlanta has alot more lyrical rappers than Houston.

Houston

Atlanta

That's not a good comparison. A better comparison is Trinity Garden Cartel vs Goodie Mob. The first video was just a bunch of solo rappers on a song together while Goodie Mob was an established group. I still stand by my statement that Houston has more lyrical rappers and I can post the names, if you'd like.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
well you have to remember that "quality" is subjective. what might be good to you may be junk to someone else. even still, it's pretty safe to say that houston is the more respected city when it comes to lyricists

you mention grand hustle, dungeon family, and dtp. and i can honestly say that not one single artist on either of those rosters do i consider to be an above average lyricist. big mike is cool, though
And grand hustle has TI and Dro is ok. Not really great lyricists in that camp. Dungeon Family speaks for itself. Legends in Atlanta no doubt. DTP has Luda and that's about it. Everybody else is average at best in that camp.

Now I see that chiatldal brought up swishahouse and rap-a-lot. NO sir. swishahouse is not nearly the best lyricists Houston has to offer. None of them are in the top 30, let alone one of the best. Well this is when it comes to the history of Houston hip hop.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I cant say it is or is not.It does not seem aqny more ore less.That has been my point all along.You keep wanting to hear me say that but honestly I think its too hard to tell.Although based on those numbers and other factors(if I were soley looking at numbers)I say Atlanta has a slight edge.

By the way I don't need someone to tell me what I Know or how I feel.You apparently do need that.I'm sure a nice cult in a small town a few hours North west of Houston would have loved to have had you join them back in the day.
All I did was ask if you think Atlanta is more diverse than Houston. Now, you're getting personal. It really isn't that big of a deal, and you're on an island alone by thinking Atlanta is more diverse. The numbers don't back up your point. For example, Houston is only 44% White, while Atlanta is 53% White. You say they all come from Latin America (specifically Mexico), but Houston still has a higher percentage than Atlanta from other Latin America countries, so your point is moot.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Houston

Atlanta

For real? Why would you use 25 Lighters? K-Rino and Snapp in this song alone are better than Cell Therapy:

Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
For real? Why would you use 25 Lighters? K-Rino and Snapp in this song alone are better than Cell Therapy:

Lol, damn! You beat me to it, I was just about to throw some K-Rino on these boys. But the people here need to know that his name is actually Snap with only one p and he is in the group called The Niyat. It took me forever to find info on him spelling his name with two p's lol.

YouTube - K-Rino- Step into the mind (3:10 to about 4:20 in this one has to be the sickest 70 seconds in Hip-Hop history)

YouTube - K-Rino- illusions

YouTube - The Niyat - "We Got It"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City