Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Once again you are not being accurate.You said in one of your post"wait you mean to tell me Afonega1 started all this.I gave you the link to the post where I asked the question AFTER someone said "Atlanta was lacking".I said if anything the other way around like "Heavy rail system".then you changed it to something else I said because you were WRONG to say I started this.I initiated no such claims about superiority as if it were fact.I only gave my opinions and stated them as such.
The poster you quoted said Atlanta is lacking. Then, you turned around and said, and I'm paraphrasing again, "what does Houston have that Atlanta doesn't? If anything, it's the other way around. Heavy rail for one". So, what you're saying there is that Houston does not have everything Atlanta has, but Atlanta has everything Houston has, which isn't true. Some posters even called you out on that, but you must have missed it. I'd say a statement like that is starting something.

Quote:
I got no answer from you after I showed you what you posted.That post from the Texas Real Estate something or another.Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change All it had was the fact that Houston had more of a foreign born pop.Then on the census fact finder,it show you that the overwhelming percentage was from ONE region.Latin America.Out of that region it was then Mexico by double ahead of the next Latin American country.That is misleading to say because of that Houston is more diverse.
But, that's not the only group Houston has a higher percentage/number than Atlanta. You're the ONLY Atlanta poster still trying to say that Atlanta is more diverse than Houston. It isn't and get over it. Atlanta is a diverse city, but not on Houston's level. Just like Houston isn't on LA's or NYC. Are you going to tell me Miami isn't more diverse than Atlanta because most of its international residents come from Latin America/Caribbean? Please.

Quote:
It does have a much larger foreign born population and almost 3/4th of that is from LATIN AMERICA!!!!!!In Atlanta its is also true,but LESS than in Houston!!With the exception oof all other regions,Atlanta is double in that of TX in Europe,Africa,Asia.
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

You were saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
half of so so def is r&b, so they hardly count to me. and along with dungeon family, both labels have enjoyed more mainstream success, but that doesn't mean they've had better artists

and B.o.b. is decent. artistically, yeah he's bringing something new to the table. but lyrically, he still leaves a little to be desired

and houston has nothing like them? i guarantee you there's an underground artist bubbling somewhere under the surface in h-town that's doing something similar.
He must not have heard of H.I.S.D. I'd call them Houston's Little Brother:

Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Houston is just as bad when it comes to off the wall artist you have the good artist and you have your bad artist..

When it comes to urban music and hip hop scene Atlanta rules!!!!
You have your opinion and I have mine. If I wanted to snap my fingers and get crunk to Nitty beats then maybe I would prefer Atlanta or even Dallas. If I actually want to hear something with lyrical content that isn't over exposed and recycled I'll stick to Houston.

Atlanta has some good artist but they are one in millions. The majority of the music that makes it out of Atlanta is commercially driven bull****. Its sole purpose is to make quick money by overexposing catchy tunes to the masses and them moving on to the next one. IMO the majority of the popular music from Atlanta and Dallas is only for having fun or dancing to and half the time it just looks "country". Don't get me wrong I could listen to "Do The Heisman" or "Boogie Board 3000" all day, but it's still crap. It's just catchy. I could even listen to a little Dorrough, but Bone should be touched for taking an already bad New Orleans song and turning it into straight garbage.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You have your opinion and I have mine. If I wanted to snap my fingers and get crunk to Nitty beats then maybe I would prefer Atlanta or even Dallas. If I actually want to hear something with lyrical content that isn't over exposed and recycled I'll stick to Houston.

Atlanta has some good artist but they are one in millions. The majority of the music that makes it out of Atlanta is commercially driven bull****. Its sole purpose is to make quick money by overexposing catchy tunes to the masses and them moving on to the next one. IMO the majority of the popular music from Atlanta and Dallas is only for having fun or dancing to and half the time it just looks "country". Don't get me wrong I could listen to "Do The Heisman" or "Boogie Board 3000" all day, but it's still crap. It's just catchy. I could even listen to a little Dorrough, but Bone should be touched for taking an already bad New Orleans song and turning it into straight garbage.

Im so glad You know how to state your OPINION!!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Im so glad You know how to state your OPINION!!!!
Don't worry. Somebody will mis-construe it as fact and try to start a new pissing match.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:50 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Don't worry. Somebody will mis-construe it as fact and try to start a new pissing match.
Trust I know!!! Im not even going to get in it... Yall can go back and forth with who is the best and who aint who is garbage etc... WHile we are here on city data worrying about who is doing what on the music scene. There out making there garbage so called music and making millions... Im not made at them one bit someone likes it, Especially at the clubs.... Its All about personal taste and what the person wants to listen too.. I would rather them put out garbage music and make money then too be out here selling drugs or robbing people....

Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
He must not have heard of H.I.S.D. I'd call them Houston's Little Brother:

There's alot more where this comes from as well in Houston. Houston (while they still have crap itself but what city doesn't) still makes an emphasis on lyrics. I do get tired of the candy paint, sippin lean, choppin blades crap though. But that's what you get with the SUC and Swishahouse. But when you listen to SPC and Kay, Niyat, K-Otix, V-Zilla, and HISD, you would say that Houston has more depth. However, Houston's scene is not really mainstream. That's not the type of music they make and IMO, that's great.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
no, sir. it's you who is telling yourself that. houston has more nationalities than atlanta. why is that so hard for you to accept?

but that's not even half of how houston is more diverse. it also sits at a crossroad of regional cultures. southern, cajun, texan, and nowadays mexican culture meet in houston. take away all the foreigners and you still have culturally diverse metro. atlanta has nothing like that (even though i'm sure you'll try your hardest to say otherwise)
Nationalities?Is that what you got out of the argument I made?I never said it did or did not.My aguments are as follows:

You see the breaksown of the regions of the world in which the populations are represented in America.If you notice like I said before is that the main difference is that Atlanta has a more broad reach of people that itb draws from worldwide.Atlanta has more British,French,Italian from Europe.

Also in the 2000 census(which is not accurate anymore has Atlanta as the 3rd most populous city with African population by birth.Total numbers NOT percentages.After NYC and D.C.Atlanta has 34,302 from vs 22,683. More than half of that in Houston are from Nigerian.Now how is that more diverse?Or for that matter how is it not?What do you base your comments on?
//pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...s/confused.gif
The only argument I keep hearing is that Houston has a total number of more Nationalities?Well if they are from one region where there are the smallest concentration countries that are in greater proximity to Houston,then what exactly makes it more diverse?

The crossroads of regional cultures?
Quote:
take away all the foreigners and you still have culturally diverse metro. atlanta has nothing like that (even though i'm sure you'll try your hardest to say otherwise) say Atlanta does have anything close to it

No need to try hard at all if you really knew what you were talking about.The difference betwen what I have been saying and what you guys want to hear and what you actually believe is what is the sad irony.

I not once ever said WHAT it was that Houston was lacking other than rail system.Even then I then said they had one but its still vey developmental.Its not a "system".Funny how no one had anything to say about that,yet they lashed on the whole diversity issue.I said over and over that diversity is more than what some of you are making it seem.

You say its nationalities.I never said anything about this but you accused me of saying Houston had less.In YOUR mind,this is what diversity is,sans your emphasis.
Someone says you can tell by consulates.First off Houston has been bigger than Atlanta for a longer time.Atlanta has gained more new consulates in the last 20 years than any other city in America.There are exceptions like France ,but the bulk of Houston's consulates come from guess where?All South of Houston.

So for people who wanna use the number consulates and Nationalities to somehow equate that with diversity(at least soley),are really being obtuse .I already said that diversity is more than just one category .Yet you people act like you cannot understand that concept.

I also have said repeatedly that I have no problem if someone says they feel Houston is more diverse.Once again its though you guys keep saying it as if its a landslide and it simply is not.

The main difference between Houston and Atlanta is that Houston has actual communities designate where they are.In Atlanta its they are living all over.Its more integrated.Thats not to say there are not concentrations of such people.Forest Park for one is an extremely diverse suburb near the airport.It has a particularly huge Vietnamese and ,Latino community.The corridor as many know it ,along Buford hwy is extremely diverse.Over the years more West Indians and Africans have joined the Koreans,Chinese,and Latino residents.This is a stretch that runs from North Atlanta all the way in Duluth in Gwinnet County.

The area from Downtown near Auburn Ave(MLK.Jr. neighborhood),and in the Stone Mountain areas are where the Bulk of West Indians are.Jamaicans,Bajan,Virgin Islands,you name it.Also the Africans have a significant presence out there as well.

The Indian population is the most integrated.They can be found EVERYWHERE as well as the Latino population.

Now first off some of you insist that there are no crossroads of culture converging in Atlanta.Well thats not exactly true.Atlanta has been populated longer than Houston although age wise,they were incorporated around the same time.So some of the cultures that you refer to had a direct impact of how Atlanta was formed as well as the nation.

For example: Cabbagetown Atlanta as it exist today,is now a trendy urban neighborhood.It was the center for all the Appalachian people to work at one of the largest cotton mills in the country at the time.To this day their descendent's in much smaller numbers live in that area.The quilting industry later parlayed into the carpet industry in the nearby mountain town of Dalton Georgia which is known as the Carpet Capital of the World.More than 90% of the functional carpet produced in the world today is made within a 65-mile radius of the city.Shaw,Mohawk ,and Alladin Mills all are headquartered there.

Many people forget that Atlanta was just behind Nashville when it came to the influence of country music scenes.The father of Gospel Music was from Georgia(Thomas Dorsey)Villa Rica Georgia(suburb).So that scene in Houston that someone mention as being prominent as Atlanta's was not quite true.Just as when I say Atlanta has a large Latino culture scene with Tejano and you guys say it began in the Houston areas.

If you want to bring up cajun,then I suppose we can say the influence from the coast of Georgia and the Carolinas as with the Gullah and Geechie people brought there culture and foods on the landscape of not only Atlanta but African Americans everywhere.

The Native American presence is felt by names of our streets and towns and artifacts that you can sometimes find just digging up the ground.The Cherokee Nations home and before they were forcibly moved during the "Trail of Tears" was in North Georgia.Whenever you visit the our Chattahoochee River,or the mountains you can see what impact that they had on the land to this day.

P.S.AlGreen;I was posting this when I got your message.It just took me sometime to finish all I wanted to say.How is this for ignoring you

Old 04-28-2010, 01:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The poster you quoted said Atlanta is lacking. Then, you turned around and said, and I'm paraphrasing again, "what does Houston have that Atlanta doesn't? If anything, it's the other way around. Heavy rail for one". So, what you're saying there is that Houston does not have everything Atlanta has, but Atlanta has everything Houston has, which isn't true. Some posters even called you out on that, but you must have missed it. I'd say a statement like that is starting something.

But, that's not the only group Houston has a higher percentage/number than Atlanta. You're the ONLY Atlanta poster still trying to say that Atlanta is more diverse than Houston. It isn't and get over it. Atlanta is a diverse city, but not on Houston's level. Just like Houston isn't on LA's or NYC. Are you going to tell me Miami isn't more diverse than Atlanta because most of its international residents come from Latin America/Caribbean? Please.

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

You were saying?
Ive said it.YOU are the only one disputing those facts.Hispanics by far are the largest group that represents the foreign born population.So what are you saying?I cannot read?Maybe I can't.All i know is I see wat I see and you are feighning "blind willie" all of a sudden.

Miami is diverse more so because of the fact that it has a very much larger representation of tourist and people who live ALL over the world.Houston does not have boatloads of British,French or Italian residents and tourist like Miami or L.A.

Factually you have proved my point over and over.You're just too stubborn to admit it.Maybe you oughtta get more Houston Cheerleaders to back you up in another IM to discuss strategy.I for one SHALL NOT BE MOVED!!Halleluh!!!LOL

YouTube - Underground Ministries feat. Kenny Bobien - I shall not be moved (stand still) extended club mix

Old 04-28-2010, 04:29 PM

So you think Atlanta is more diverse than Houston? Please note than none of your fellow Atlanta forumers back you up and told you it wasn't a while back in this thread, yet you keep insisting. I'm done with this, because I'm just using it for cheap comedy now.

Last edited by Trae713; 04-28-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City