Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 03:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I agree; I'm on the record for having defended and praised Houston many times on this forum, but it's just silly to continue and try to present Houston as SO MUCH MORE than its' peers Dallas-Fort Worth and Atlanta...it's simply not. Afonega has it right.
Wait, what? Afonega is the one who started this mess. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Atlanta has everything Houston has, but Houston doesn't have everything Atlanta has. Heavy rail for one". How is that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 04:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Wait, what? Afonega is the one who started this mess. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Atlanta has everything Houston has, but Houston doesn't have everything Atlanta has. Heavy rail for one". How is that right?
They're blind to their own issues.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:17 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Al Green, and that other dude aren't from Houston......

As far as the debate with Houston being southern or not. The only people wo really deny Houston as a southern city (On city data) are southerners because it's located in Texas. I've heard people many times on this forum say that.

This whole Atlanta vs. Houston thing esculates when Atliens try to play the victims and call Houstonians out, but in reality it goes both ways. The majority of the REAL Houstonians in this forum haven't said anything bad about ATL. However, once one person goes in on the ATL; ATliens group the Houstonians with everyone else.
Are you serious?Do I need to go through theis forum and give you some of the most vile hateful things that people can say about an inanimate object?

For instance.Do people use code words (about Houston)like vwhen they say things about Atlanta like:

Atlanta reminds me of Detroit?
"I got of the airport and thought I was in Lagos"(yet does Houston get compared to Mexico City

"The school system in a Atlanta is terrible."Yet when measured against its regional competition it edges them out.Miami schools are TWENTY times worse,but HEy;"Its Miami"!
"The black people in Atlanta are reverse discriminatining"(Not saying it does not happen ever but again is this never happen anywhere else?

"Atlanta is backwards"(yet the first city in the entire South to provide Domestic benefits for gay couples,first black mayor in the South,First female mayor in the South and first openly gay lesbian City Council president.
Downtown Atlanta is dangerous,everywhere you go.You will get mugged almost anywhere in Atlanta.(statistic show that type of crime is not at all that common).

One of the Houston supporters said:"Well Houston wins the dining over Atlanta because they have more options like Tex-MEX.
" What?Yet Atlanta has better Soul Food/Southern food options than Houston.So does that alone make the case that Atlanta should win?You cannot even find great Tex-Mex food in NYC or Chicago!!

Or Houston is so much more diverse.Yet Atlanta has the 3rd or fourth largest gay population,the highest concentration of people from the continent of Africa in the South, The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Atlanta in adjacent Lilburn, Georgia is currently the largest Hindu temple in the world outside of India (Asian Indian Hindu)
YouTube - BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir,Atlanta’s Jewish community is the 11th largest in the USA – after New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and three counties in Florida: Broward, South Palm Beach and Greater Palm Beach(retirees mostly).
In 1996, Atlanta’s Jewish community was the 17th largest.

People say "oh Atlanta is black and white not while it to an extent is true but its not Black American and White American.Its Europeans and Blacks from the Carribien,and all of Africa(the Continent not the Country Mr.Bush)

If I hear one more Houstonian say:"we have the most Nigerians in America"!So what about the rest of Africa?In which case Atlanta has more hands down.About 10,000-15,000 more!ANd guess what else?ALL AFRICANS ARE NOT BLACK!!!

Houston has played that diversity card so well.Like i have stated before:Things change.All the time.
Metros with largest African-born population (2000 Census)
Washington
New York
Atlanta
Minneapolis-St.Paul
L.A.
Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Boston
African immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So believe what you want,but facts are facts opinion is....well...opinion.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Please tell me where I said that..You are getting other people question mixed in with my answers.Please read before you speak and accuse me of something I never said.

The only thing I said about rail is that Atlanta has a system in place.Houston has one but its not even a real system yet.If MARTA gets called in adequate,then what is Houston's?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Are you serious?Do I need to go through theis forum and give you some of the most vile hateful things that people can say about an inanimate object?

For instance.Do people use code words (about Houston)like vwhen they say things about Atlanta like:

"I got of the airport and thought I was in Lagos"(yet does Houston get compared to Mexico City

"The school system in a Atlanta is terrible."Yet when measured against its regional competition it edges them out.Miami schools are TWENTY times worse,but HEy;"Its Miami"!
"The black people in Atlanta are reverse discriminatining"(Not saying it does not happen ever but again is this never happen anywhere else?

"Atlanta is backwards"(yet the first city in the entire South to provide Domestic benefits for gay couples,first black mayor in the South,First female mayor in the South and first openly gay lesbian City Council president.
Downtown Atlanta is dangerous,everywhere you go.You will get mugged almost anywhere in Atlanta.(statistic show that type of crime is not at all that common).

One of the Houston supporters said:"Well Houston wins the dining over Atlanta because they have more options like Tex-MEX.
" What?Yet Atlanta has better Soul Food/Southern food options than Houston.So does that alone make the case that Atlanta should win?You cannot even find great Tex-Mex food in NYC or Chicago!!

Or Houston is so much more diverse.Yet Atlanta has the 3rd or fourth largest gay population,the highest concentration of people from the continent of Africa in the South, The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Atlanta in adjacent Lilburn, Georgia is currently the largest Hindu temple in the world outside of India (Asian Indian Hindu)
YouTube - BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir,Atlanta’s Jewish community is the 11th largest in the USA – after New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and three counties in Florida: Broward, South Palm Beach and Greater Palm Beach(retirees mostly).

People say "oh Atlanta is black and white not while it to an extent is true but its not Black American and White American.Its Europeans and Blacks from the Carribien,and all of Africa(the Continent not the Country Mr.Bush)

If I hear one more Houstonian say:"we have the most Nigerians in America"!So what about the rest of Africa?In which case Atlanta has more hands down.About 10,000-15,000 more!ANd guess what else?ALL AFRICANS ARE NOT BLACK!!!

Houston has played that diversity card so well.Like i have stated before:Things change.All the time.
Washington
New York
Atlanta
Minneapolis-St.Paul
L.A.
Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Boston

Keywords: Houston supporters

Instead of attacking that individual; you guys start downplaying everything about Houston than try to make Houstonians out to be inferior. DO you see us crying and complaining about the dude who said Houston sucks or whatever??? NO! Do you see us talking down on Atlanta and it's residents?? NO!

You guys need to chill out and learn to let stuff go sometime and quit feeling the need to justify every single negative thing said about Atlanta. As long as you play like the victim; you will be the victim.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
They're blind to their own issues.
Oh please. I think I've said before that both the Houstonians and Atlantans are both guilty of this childish bickering and downplaying. Neither one is a saint in this. We all have our hands dirty from the BS most of us have spewed. Hell, I admit to being guilty of it myself. But now people want to have temporary amnesia. For the record, I know I havent downplayed Houston, I can't speak for the rest of the Atlanta posters.

Someone pass me some hand soap!

And as for advising the Atlanta posters to "chill" and not be so sensitive (which I agree with to an extent), it seems that many in the Houston Booster crowd could stand to look in a mirror and take their own advice. Just saying...

Also, @Afronega, a lot of those comments that you referenced in regard to Atlanta were not made by Houston posters. Like Houston, we deal with the Anti-Sunbelt/Anti-South sentiment on here, but unlike Houston, we deal with a lot of subtle/borderline racist comments because of the racial makeup of the area.

Last edited by grindin; 04-24-2010 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Please tell me where I said that..You are getting other people question mixed in with my answers.Please read before you speak and accuse me of something I never said.

The only thing I said about rail is that Atlanta has a system in place.Houston has one but its not even a real system yet.If MARTA gets called in adequate,then what is Houston's?
//www.city-data.com/forum/13851772-post69.html

So what do you call that?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:42 PM

529 posts, read 1,300,833 times
^ pwned

Old 04-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Washington
New York
Atlanta
Minneapolis-St.Paul
L.A.
Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Boston

Let's try this:

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Atlanta is diverse. More than people will give it credit for, but overall, it isn't more diverse than Houston, which is what most of us say anyway. Just some people take that as an insult and not calling Atlanta diverse.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:05 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Keywords: Houston supporters

Instead of attacking that individual; you guys start downplaying everything about Houston than try to make Houstonians out to be inferior. DO you see us crying and complaining about the dude who said Houston sucks or whatever??? NO! Do you see us talking down on Atlanta and it's residents?? NO!

You guys need to chill out and learn to let stuff go sometime and quit feeling the need to justify every single negative thing said about Atlanta. As long as you play like the victim; you will be the victim.
Wait wait wait I have seen threads with Houstonians down playing Atlanta. You said on a thread How come Houston is not seen as important like SF and Boston but a average place, the thread was also Atlanta vs. Houston so I guess Houston is important and Atlanta is a average place. So to answer your question "DO you see us crying and complaining about the dude who said Houston sucks or whatever??? Do you see us talking down on Atlanta and it's residents??" YES.

Quote:
Let's try this:

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Atlanta is diverse. More than people will give it credit for, but overall, it isn't more diverse than Houston, which is what most of us say anyway. Just some people take that as an insult and not calling Atlanta diverse.
I think what afonega1 is trying say Houston dosen't beat Atlanta is every Demographic. When someone say one city is more diverse they be acting like it’s a sweep across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City