Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 07:07 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well people always talk about atlanta's hilliness as being a reason for the way it's spread out, but look at all those other hilly cities that are still pretty dense: san francisco, seattle, pittsburgh, etc...is there something about atlanta's topography that's different?

as far as the comparison to houston goes, i have no idea which one is truly more dense or urban. but i do know that in many atlanta neighborhoods they have those huge lots which makes the area seem more spread out than houston (where homes are generally built a lot closer). because of this, some of houston's further-out suburbs feel more urban than some of atlanta's n'hoods that are ITP
That's true, but you have to realize that to build a road over our relatively smaller hills often times require dynamiting the granite underneath--as the metro area sits atop a slab of granite (Stone Mountain being an example). Additionally local governments simply do not have the money to build hundreds of bridges to cross creek beds, thus the roads follow and stay atop the ridge lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Great great post.. This is what needed to be said a long time ago
I agree; I'm on the record for having defended and praised Houston many times on this forum, but it's just silly to continue and try to present Houston as SO MUCH MORE than its' peers Dallas-Fort Worth and Atlanta...it's simply not. Afonega has it right.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I agree; I'm on the record for having defended and praised Houston many times on this forum, but it's just silly to continue and try to present Houston as SO MUCH MORE than its' peers Dallas-Fort Worth and Atlanta...it's simply not. Afonega has it right.
Exactly. I've said positive things about Houston myself. I like the city. But it seems like some of the Hypersensitive Houston Booster Squad on here likes to dismiss Atlanta as some also-ran country town. You'd think as much as Houston gets bashed on the threads by the anti-sunbelt and Dallas crowds, they'd be a bit less condescending about Atlanta. We're not the enemy here! But I guess as much as they get bashed on here, they had to find a whipping boy.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
come on guys, i think all three metros are equally guilty. atlantans are no saints when it comes to some of the "whipping" that's been done around here

Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Exactly. I've said positive things about Houston myself. I like the city. But it seems like some of the Hypersensitive Houston Booster Squad on here likes to dismiss Atlanta as some also-ran country town. You'd think as much as Houston gets bashed on the threads by the anti-sunbelt and Dallas crowds, they'd be a bit less condescending about Atlanta. We're not the enemy here! But I guess as much as they get bashed on here, they had to find a whipping boy.
The people you guys are arguing with aren't even Houstonians.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:12 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Ok here is me stirring up things,but im gonna say it anyway.Atlanta out of the entire C-D threads gets more heat from random people than any city.HALF of;no scratch that;most of those people have been at BEST past the airport door but can tell you because of the rude airport employee or employees,(which at the airport to be honest is not unheard of or unrealistic at all),yet can tell you all about Atlanta by just that fact.Mo

Most of the time people vote and complain based on a regional identification.The region in which Atlanta in is of course The South or more commonly referred to as the SouthEast.However really when compared to Southwest cities like Dallas and Houston,Atlanta tends to be group into the East Coast.There is much more travel and familiarity of Atlanta especially from with the environs of the East Coast.

Houston being in the Southwest is more being praised by people usually all points West of Texas.The Californians,Arizona,New Mexico,Lousianna(not west but still in Texas camp).That said you also have Dallas, Houston,even Austin both coming for Atlanta.Not to mention their are the ever so sensitive Charlottan's who think that if you remind them that they are no where "near ATL league yet and ;ook for EVERY little statement and blow it completely out of context as if just the by reminding them of how far they have to go,so they say you must hate their city.
Then you have the NYawk'er's who really cannot stand anyone dare call their city cosmopolitan,diverse,tolerant,educated or wealthy.It never fails.They have to remind everyone that they are NYC as if anyone would DARE to try and compete against them.I say it over and over that NYC is not typical in anyway.If it were there would be another city in America just like it.Yet Atlanta is so plebeian with nothing special in which to speak of.Almost like how dare ATL try to create something to compete with what we have.

So to have a poll such as this one.Nine times out of ten Atlanta has many "haters".Yet the city just keeps growing and growing

Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok here is me stirring up things,but im gonna say it anyway.Atlanta out of the entire C-D threads gets more heat from random people than any city.HALF of;no scratch that;most of those people have been at BEST past the airport door but can tell you because of the rude airport employee or employees,(which at the airport to be honest is not unheard of or unrealistic at all),yet can tell you all about Atlanta by just that fact.Mo

Most of the time people vote and complain based on a regional identification.The region in which Atlanta in is of course The South or more commonly referred to as the SouthEast.However really when compared to Southwest cities like Dallas and Houston,Atlanta tends to be group into the East Coast.There is much more travel and familiarity of Atlanta especially from with the environs of the East Coast.

Houston being in the Southwest is more being praised by people usually all points West of Texas.The Californians,Arizona,New Mexico,Lousianna(not west but still in Texas camp).That said you also have Dallas, Houston,even Austin both coming for Atlanta.Not to mention their are the ever so sensitive Charlottan's who think that if you remind them that they are no where "near ATL league yet and ;ook for EVERY little statement and blow it completely out of context as if just the by reminding them of how far they have to go,so they say you must hate their city.
Then you have the NYawk'er's who really cannot stand anyone dare call their city cosmopolitan,diverse,tolerant,educated or wealthy.It never fails.They have to remind everyone that they are NYC as if anyone would DARE to try and compete against them.I say it over and over that NYC is not typical in anyway.If it were there would be another city in America just like it.Yet Atlanta is so plebeian with nothing special in which to speak of.Almost like how dare ATL try to create something to compete with what we have.

So to have a poll such as this one.Nine times out of ten Atlanta has many "haters".Yet the city just keeps growing and growing
Don't leave Atlanta's competitive side out, just saying.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 AM

324 posts, read 659,547 times
Quote:

I agree we defend more than we start crap up at the end of the day none of our statments or worth anything. People are going to still have there views opinions etc... So I guess we will continue debate on this site

Old 04-24-2010, 12:02 PM

17 posts, read 31,892 times
Default Well!

Wow. When I started this thread I had no clue where this was heading. I must say the "debate" has been quite interesting to read and watch unfold. I never realized how folks really did not care for Atlanta. Or that there was some unwritten battle between the two cities. Just wow...and I guess that because I am on neutral ground I can't truly understand why the "hatred".

Everyone has posted information for me to think on. The whole part concerning the geographical location of each city was a whole 'nother thread in itself!

With my impending trip to Houston matched against what I already know about Atlanta combined with the thoughts and opinions posted here, I'm sure that I will be able to make the best decision for not only myself but my little one as well.

Thanks so much.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:

see, now i just think you're trying to make atlanta the victim. but like i said before, all three cities are guilty of the "hating" and atlantans are no more innocent

and by the way, houston is NOW and has ALWAYS been a southern city. it is in no way connected to...arizona and new mexico (?????). it's not really the southeast, but it's not the southwest either. it's south central.

houston and dallas' american sphere of influence includes the eastern half of texas, louisiana, oklahoma, arkansas, western tennessee, and western m'sippi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City