Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Ill agree to disagree here...I actually think Dallas people talk noticeably slower than people from the Southeast. I dont think they talk as slow as Houstonians but I do think they talk slowly compared to people from Florida, Atlanta or Memphis. From what Ive experienced, people from East of Mississippi talk with a quicker clipped pace than people in Mississippi and westward.
I agree with this. I think Houstonians talk slow ,but Dallas people just talk normal or at an average pace; I wouldn't say they talk slow. As far as blacks go in Dallas and Memphis; they talk at about the same pace to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Why do Texans feel this bizarre obligation to be so fiercely loyal to their state? It's almost like you don't question it, its just the "Texan" thing to do. I will never understand that mentality.
When all things are equal you're damn right i'll choose the city in my state. I have no problem giving props to any place if I feel they do something better than Texas. Hell, I would take Atlanta over Austin personally. But nice job trying to make something out of nothing. Comment removed: This is not necessary - watch the insults.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-07-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Play nice folks, or the door closes.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
it's actually not dyin, there's just no way to actually spell the pronunciation that I know of. I disagree, Atlanta has a very distinguishable southern accent, as does Houston, Dallas, etc. I don't know where all these people that claim that the accents are gone spend their time, but hang in any areas where there are natives and the accents are there. Sometimes natives make these claims and I think to myself "maybe they're so used to it that they don't realize it." or maybe it's just more noticeable when you live in a place where drawls are rare.
I don't think the accent is gone but I do think that it's a blend. There are tons of Southern transplants in this metro, there are tons of Midwesterners in this metro, and there are tons of Northeasterners in this metro (along with a lot of Vietnamese, at least in Clayton County and Latinos). I guarantee you that, like me growing up, the natives (30yrs old and below) have heard a bunch of different accents growing up and can't help but to take digest it in. I have so many examples of people who don't even sound like they're from GA or the South (going by stereotypes) really. I have done some work for some old money Buckhead folks and they sound closer to the stereotypical Southern way of speaking (slight drawl, slower speech,etc). What area(s) of Atlanta do you have family in what do their accent sound like (if you can put it in type) for certain words?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Houston

Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yeah, that's what it is ....PLEASE. there are palms all over the place where i live, and i get sick of them here too

but anyway, i think you're missing my point. yes, houston's climate can support this type of vegetation, but does that mean they should plant them all over the place? NO. like i told the other guy, i'm not the only person who feels this way. you can go to some threads in the texas forum and find HOUSTONIANS saying the same thing. they over do it with the palms. period

besides, most of houston is only kind of coastal. it's not as if sits directly on the water. most of the city like 50 miles from galveston bay
I disagree. Houston has just the right amount of palms for the area. At least the climate in Houston can support it. I kind of agree that there is a little bit of envy on your part.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I disagree. Houston has just the right amount of palms for the area. At least the climate in Houston can support it. I kind of agree that there is a little bit of envy on your part.
not too fond of palm trees, but somehow envy houston for having a butt-load of them thrown all over....yeah, okay

Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM

22 posts, read 61,708 times
i read these messages with great interest. this advice is from someone who has lived in houston for 11 years: live in denver. i lived there 18 years. i don't hate houston as much as i used to (easier to live here once you are not dealing with the school system any more) but i still don't like houston. if i had to absolutely stay in texas i would go to austin. i am moving to an area 2 1/2 hours north of atlanta, and my relatives who live there adore it; i was surprised to read on this forum all about the horrible crime rate in atlanta. houston's is really bad. the crime rate went up after katrina and hasn't gone back down. there are also lots of illegals in the houston area and they are bringing drug crime from mexico.

part of the problem with texas is that attitude. they tend to shoot off their mouths a lot about how christian they are, but i don't think that is reflected in local attitudes. i loved denver for its "live and let live" attitude.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceinTexas View Post
i read these messages with great interest. this advice is from someone who has lived in houston for 11 years: live in denver. i lived there 18 years. i don't hate houston as much as i used to (easier to live here once you are not dealing with the school system any more) but i still don't like houston. if i had to absolutely stay in texas i would go to austin. i am moving to an area 2 1/2 hours north of atlanta, and my relatives who live there adore it; i was surprised to read on this forum all about the horrible crime rate in atlanta. houston's is really bad. the crime rate went up after katrina and hasn't gone back down. there are also lots of illegals in the houston area and they are bringing drug crime from mexico.

part of the problem with texas is that attitude. they tend to shoot off their mouths a lot about how christian they are, but i don't think that is reflected in local attitudes. i loved denver for its "live and let live" attitude.
What lies.

The crime rate shot up after Katrina (should be obvious why), but DEFINITELY went back down after. I have no idea where you are getting your stats from. Have not heard of any of the drug crime in Houston because of the Mexican Drug Cartels, either.

And those last couple of sentences don't even deserve a response.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
What lies.

The crime rate shot up after Katrina (should be obvious why), but DEFINITELY went back down after. I have no idea where you are getting your stats from. Have not heard of any of the drug crime in Houston because of the Mexican Drug Cartels, either.

And those last couple of sentences don't even deserve a response.
I think that poster watched Fast & Furious 4 and thought LA was Houston because well the two cities do resemble one another by sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City