Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko. View Post
Average people are poor not wealthy. Here in the real world, we don't use the "average" to gauge wealth.
Yeah we usually look at median income since averages can easily be thrown off.
Quote:
You should be used to average, coming from that dump San Diego obviously.
Haha, so bitter and defensive and for what reason? I didn't even insult NYC, talk about some insecurity issues.
Quote:
If we're talking wealth, nothing comes remotely close to New York City. As seen by billionaire/millionaire/top% stats/.
I'm talking about how wealthy an entire region is OVERALL, not the top 5% of just millionaires and billionaires. Obviously you need to focus on that b/c then you can't "win" or whatever but I don't really care. Most stats use median incomes.

Quote:
And you might want to update your info, New York City metro (with our massive diversity and vast ghettos) does have the second highest per-capita income in the United States.
It's using a different source so that may be why.

I'm not denying that NYC has some of the wealthiest people in the US and has an incredible concentration of wealth, b/c it does, but overall as a metro it is not the wealthiest due to various reasons that you've already stated. Being so big and diverse it will have the wealthiest as well as the poorest.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:57 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Mhmm east coast posters superior complexes are on level mars. Ok of course the sky is red, no green, no apple pie, just like it not boasting when posters are trying to argue which one of two places that’s basically equivalent by Population and GPD is more powerful. It’s like a older twin saying I’m older than you because I was born 2 minutes earlier, ummm ok! Instead of comparing the two places, which you rather stay and etc. Yall arguing something that even if true, the difference is minor. That’s why I said, are yall doing this for yall egos? Because the answer equal pointless.

New York coast of living has more to do with density and the scarcity of land, and also politics and taxation, so it make sense that it cost more in which salaries are higher I don’t know how this is relevant to a city power? But anyway cost of living, now that I think about LA-Chi combine cost of living will be to .
Your arguing with the wrong person. I'm not being egotistic here, YOU'RE the one assuming I am because apparently, you glanced at my location. What does that say about you? Are you looking for an argument?
Everyone has an opinion, and my opinion is NYC is the more powerful city. It (in reality) stands alone, and even with 2 great cities being fused together, NYC still manages to have a higher GPD & Population. Even if it's not by a whole lot (though I feel 2million pop is a big diff), NYC is the real city- not Los Anchicago (plus I don't have a good feeling about LA and Chi being fused together into one)
Therefore I say NYC is the more powerful city.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 AM

73 posts, read 132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah we usually look at median income since averages can easily be thrown off.
Haha, so bitter and defensive and for what reason? I didn't even insult NYC, talk about some insecurity issues.
I'm talking about how wealthy an entire region is OVERALL, not the top 5% of just millionaires and billionaires. Obviously you need to focus on that b/c then you can't "win" or whatever but I don't really care. Most stats use median incomes.

It's using a different source so that may be why.

I'm not denying that NYC has some of the wealthiest people in the US and has an incredible concentration of wealth, b/c it does, but overall as a metro it is not the wealthiest due to various reasons that you've already stated. Being so big and diverse it will have the wealthiest as well as the poorest.
Did you not notice my name? Why would I care how much more pennies the masses/middle class i.e. "median" class in DC brings home versus the one in New York?

X having an income of $34,000 versus Y having an income of $36,000 doesn't make any one of them wealthier than one another. Both destitute. Neither wealthy.

The only figures that matter is which has the most and highest concentration of wealthy people. i.e., which has the most robust and prestigious economies. And it's clearly New York City and its environs.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Did you not notice my screen name? Why would I care how much more pennies the masses/middle class i.e. "median" class in DC brings home versus the one in New York?

X having an income of $34,000 versus Y having an income of $36,000 doesn't make any one of them wealthier than one another. Both destitute. Neither wealthy.

The only figures that matter is which has the most and highest concentration of wealthy people. i.e., which has the most robust and prestigious economies. And it's clearly New York City and its environs.
It hurts...
To constantly see how much arrogance you NYers developed. It really takes a lot out of the true greatness of NYC. If only more NYers noticed this.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Did you not notice my screen name? Why would I care how much more pennies the masses/middle class i.e. "median" class in DC brings home versus the one in New York?

haha, I could care less about what your screen name is, it means nothing to me. If you don't care about the median income stats then why did you respond to my post with them in it? My original post wasn't even directed at you.

If the Top 5% is the only thing that matters to you then so be it, it's not what matters to me or most people out there.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Your arguing with the wrong person. I'm not being egotistic here, YOU'RE the one assuming I am because apparently, you glanced at my location. What does that say about you? Are you looking for an argument?
Everyone has an opinion, and my opinion is NYC is the more powerful city. It (in reality) stands alone, and even with 2 great cities being fused together, NYC still manages to have a higher GPD & Population. Even if it's not by a whole lot (though I feel 2million pop is a big diff), NYC is the real city- not Los Anchicago (plus I don't have a good feeling about LA and Chi being fused together into one)
Therefore I say NYC is the more powerful city.
LOL wow this funny.

Are you comparing the two places which one you rather stay and etc. Not so much, so what are you doing then? Arguing about something pointless. I never said, I was just talking to you "east coast posters" and I have said this Several times. It’s not just your location mainly the argument it self, again it’s like an older twin boasting he or she is older it’s just pointless, it’s going to come off egoistical. The GDP gap is less than 5% “pointless“, yes New York proper would be 2 million more but the Los Anchicago MSA would be 3 million more and the CSA would be 5 million more, Then technically the Greater Los Angeles already has the densest urban area by it self, but then combined with Chicago! You don’t see LA posters boasting that, why cause it’s pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
All I am going to say is that this thread is a bad idea.
All well this could have been a interesting thread.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
LOL wow this funny.

Are you comparing the two places which one you rather stay and etc. Not so much, so what are you doing then? Arguing about something pointless. I never said, I was just talking to you "east coast posters" and I have said this Several times. It’s not just your location mainly the argument it self, again it’s like an older twin boasting he or she is older it’s just pointless, it’s going to come off egoistical. The GDP gap is less than 5% “pointless“, yes New York proper would be 2 million more but the Los Anchicago MSA would be 3 million more and the CSA would be 5 million more, Then technically the Greater Los Angeles already has the densest urban area by it self, but then combined with Chicago! You don’t see LA posters boasting that, why cause it’s pointless.
...I'm lost.
Are you saying I'm boasting? I'm not boasting about my city.. You know why? Because my city isn't any of the 3. Last time I checked, NJ was a different state, and just because I live in the NYC metro doesn't mean I'm like the rest of these NYers on this thread, but go ahead and keep on assuming- judgmental southerners/arrogant northerners, as long as I don't fit the bill.
The point was, you quoted me to call out North easterners/NYers (pretty much a vent session)... Well, I don't like that.
I'd rather work, live, and play in NYC because I feel that the city offers more things that suite me. (IMO, IT'S A MORE POWERFUL CITY) THAT'S IT. Can I say that without you jumping all over me calling me bias and egotistic... No, you can't, because you fit the bill.

And if it's so pointless, why were you so agitated with my opinion?

Quote and argue with me if you want, but I honestly don't want to be stuck in such an idiotic argument with you.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Default ...the hell

am i the only dude who thinks its crazy that people are actually gettin in to it over an imaginary city vs a real city? lol yall crazy.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
am i the only dude who thinks its crazy that people are actually gettin in to it over an imaginary city vs a real city? lol yall crazy.
Hahaha, My point exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
NYC overall is just the stronger city in this make believe comparison.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
That's not the conflict

I don’t care if someone prefer New York or not, or whatever it’s the Superior complex it’s crazy the thread can’t even get started, and I been said that this suppose to be fun my goodness. The OP made this thread because no solo city can compare to New York. Chicago and Los Angeles can hold there own already, but the OP combine them hypnotically for a comparison because LA-Chi would be basically equivalent to NY the city population, the metro population and the GDP. Instead of comparing amenities, sites, neighborhoods and etc East coast posters are not giving any detail and there giving circular reasoning it‘s annoying. They rather speak broadly about pointless exaggerate air. Expressing nothing more than a superior complex. I saying east coast posters not specifically New York posters and I apologize because not all East coast posters are doing this but it’s crazy the thread can’t even get started.

Basically me asking for more detail reasons to support their opinions and a lot of east coast posters got made at me. To make it worse I ask in question form are yall saying this cause of yall egos? And it turn into a dude arguing saying I’m assuming him to be egotistical which is contradicting to the fact that I ask him a question ) and later he call me bias and egotistic “because you fit the bill” I guess because I trying to get an detail opinion dang people are unfriendly on these threads.

Last edited by chiatldal; 04-22-2010 at 03:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City