Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times

Advertisements

People get hit by cars all the time in Boston. The difference is that these people suffer a broken leg or hip at most. We just do not have the big roads up here in the older cities that you do down in some of the southern metros.

I remember staying in a hotel on Kirkman rd in Orlando at the corner of International Drive when I was a teenager. Neither one of these roads are highways but they are still four lanes and divided so people drive 50 mph on them. Couple this with the fact that they are commercial areas with lots of restaurants and tourist attractions and you have a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I can concur; about 15 years ago (my first trip to a Sunbelt city) I was staying by the galleria - I am thinking why would i need a car i am in a city - long story short i tried to walk the half mile from the mall to my hotel. I now understand how froger felt. I think I have never felt so unsafe in in my life and I have had a knife pulled on me at an ATM
this story is questionable, to me. the galleria isn't super-dense, but the immediate mall vicinity is pretty pedestrian friendly. the average person wouldn't feel any less safe walking around this area than they would trying to cross broadway in times square

even still, that was 15 years ago.....1995....2010. i think it's pretty safe to say things have changed since then

Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Rank Metropolitan Area 2007-08 Pedestrian Danger Index

1 Orlando-Kissimmee, FL221.5
2 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL205.5
3 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL181.2
4 Jacksonville, FL157.4
5 Memphis, TN-MS-AR137.7
6 Raleigh-Cary, NC128.6
7 Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN114.8
8 Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX112.4
9 Birmingham-Hoover, AL110.0
10 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA108.3
I'm not surprised that it is all Southern cities. The South is probably the biggest "car culture" stronghold as people have to drive everywhere. Also, the South, being a leader in the obesity area, has a lower percentage of active people who would more likely drive everywhere. Plus, the "Walmart culture" of nothing but big box meccas has probably increased the car culture there.

What happens is with all the driving, all the walkable areas are reduced to widen streets and build parking lots/spaces. Many Southerners who come to NY City are baffled by how many in and around the city don't even have a car.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
I can concur; about 15 years ago (my first trip to a Sunbelt city) I was staying by the galleria - I am thinking why would i need a car i am in a city - long story short i tried to walk the half mile from the mall to my hotel. I now understand how froger felt. I think I have never felt so unsafe in in my life and I have had a knife pulled on me at an ATM
Wow! That's a dangerous place! I think because it's hot and there is a lot of poverty and a wide gap between poor and rich there, a lot of desperate people do a lot of desperate things there. What a shame, you can't even feel safe in that galleria area...

Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Can't speak for other cities but in Memphis a lot of it is the careless attitude taken by pedestrians.
I don't know if it's stupidity or laziness or some combination of both, but a lot of people in Memphis tend to ignore things like sidewalks and crosswalks and traffic signals.

I've also come close to hitting a few pedestrians myself, idiots standing in the turn lane on a busy road, in the dark, wearing dark clothing. I guess walking to the traffic light a block away was too much of an effort.

For years now there has been a huge problem with students at the university who ignore crosswalks and lights and dart across a busy street at will. Not surprisingly some students end up as statistics in these types of reports. It's so bad, the city is talking about lowering the street, at great expense, in order to protect the students from themselves.
Walking the Line | Viewpoint | Memphis Flyer

Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
this story is questionable, to me. the galleria isn't super-dense, but the immediate mall vicinity is pretty pedestrian friendly. the average person wouldn't feel any less safe walking around this area than they would trying to cross broadway in times square

even still, that was 15 years ago.....1995....2010. i think it's pretty safe to say things have changed since then

Yes 15 years ago and have seen some changes there since - the 55 mph just at the fringe of the parking lots was a surprise. I think the cars just didn't expect to see someone walking. Times Square probably has a different safety issue but crossing the streets is not one of them. the speed and volume of pedestrians make crossing feel safer. And BTW the comparison to the knife (that was in DC well really on King St in Alexandria) was not in Houston

But also to be fair, crossing the street here in KOP would have the same issues. I am just glad we stopped building those enclosed malls for the most part in the US

Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

The Galleria area is not pedestrian friendly regardless of who you see walking. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying in the area without a car. The area is built very suburban with wide streets, large parking lots, and small sidewalks.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Yes 15 years ago and have seen some changes there since - the 55 mph just at the fringe of the parking lots was a surprise. I think the cars just didn't expect to see someone walking. Times Square probably has a different safety issue but crossing the streets is not one of them. the speed and volume of pedestrians make crossing feel safer. And BTW the comparison to the knife (that was in DC well really on King St in Alexandria) was not in Houston

But also to be fair, crossing the street here in KOP would have the same issues. I am just glad we stopped building those enclosed malls for the most part in the US
yeah okay

all i can say is that i've been around the galleria several times in my life, and the traffic around that area combined with the all the lights makes it very hard to believe anyone was 55 mph. and everytime i've been there i've seen countless numbers of crowds and people walking around

getting around the galleria on foot requires the basic pedestrian skills you assume someone in dense, bustling cities like new york would have acquired

Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
In the interest of transparency, here's the link to all the data on this subject that the OP referenced:

Transportation For America » Dangerous By Design (http://t4america.org/resources/dangerousbydesign/ - broken link)

The more interesting bit of data for me were the cities with the highest share of pedestrian fatalities. The first list just showed the cities with the highest percentage per 100,000 residents, which obviously would be more pronounced in cities with populations of 500,000 or less (Houston is the exception here and oh my! ):

Table 2: 10 Metro areas (over 1 million residents) with highest share of pedestrian fatalities
Attached Thumbnails
The Most Dangerous Cities for Walking-ped.gif  

Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
^interesting info, i had a feeling SF would be up there.

pedestrian fatalities in SF city limits, 1998-2007:

1998 - 32
1999 - 25
2000 - 30
2001 - 16
2002 - 17
2003 - 22
2004 - 18
2005 - 14
2006 - 13
2007 - 24

there were 679 non-fatal pedestrian collisions in SF in 2006, 796 non-fatal pedestrian collisions in 2007, and a total of 3,598 non-fatal pedestrian collisions from 2004-2008.

Apparently, in most cities pedestrian deaths make up 15-20% of traffic fatalities, whereas in 2007 for example, they made up over 50% of SF's traffic fatalities. A 2003 report found SF to be the most dangerous city in CA for pedestrians.

S.F. a dangerous city for careless pedestrians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City