Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could the USA make it without California and New York City?
Yes 124 67.39%
No 60 32.61%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,276,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I don't think anyone here is putting stock into anything, just merely stating what they found interesting. I heard this British woman once say something like, "Wow America, I'm glad to finally call you my ally. You've finally joined the rest of the world." Whatever that's supposed to mean.
Exactly my point.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:43 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Exactly my point.
Yes, lots of people notice how Europeans love Obama. The media especially makes note about it. I assume that they feel they can relate to him, while some Americans feel that he is not relating to the people of his country.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Of course the US would make it. NYC and California are important, but if they were gone, cities like Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, etc would have probably took their spot.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Of course the US would make it. NYC and California are important, but if they were gone, cities like Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, etc would have probably took their spot.
California and New York City simply seceding would be manageable because the economic ramifications would be less damaging.

The financial infrastructure in NYC would continue to be the most mportant to the US, even though its not part if the US. I would expect NYC woulf become like Hong Kong which is somewhat autonomous from China, except NYC would be totally independent, like Singapore or Monaco.

As far as Silicon Valley, its highly simplistic and unrealistic to say that Seattle or somewhere else will simply 'take over', especually if SV is still present. Its corporations and innovation arent going anywhere. They dont really need to. Suddenly the internet is no longer controlled by US concerns. Imagine 200 million Americans' email accounts, social media and hand held devices ALL now managed from a foreign country. Almost sounds like a national security issue, no?

California would instantly have friends in China, India, Russia, Latin America and Europe. Imagine the cross border scandal if California was enticed to join BRICS?

Between NYC and Silicon Valley, by far the 2 largest concentrations of global investment in the present day US, that deals a huge blow to the US' status as the dominant superpower of the world.

And that's just a very small taste of how the world would change.

And what about the dollar? Ugh.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM

And if NYC and California were taken out by natural catastrophe or aliens or whatever, I think that would be more difficult to recover from in the beginning. Some US haters migh view this vulnerability as an opportunity to strike against the US.

And note to TX: they hated u when u were 2nd, now its gonna be worse as number 1. Lol

Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
US would be fine. Finances would take a hit, but the brunt could be taken up by other financial areas. Government, Military, Ag/Commodities, Energy would be stable. Technology/Innovation would be hit, some im sure could be absorbed in other areas of the US, but there may be a higher reliance on other countries.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
For some real perspective:

California has 52% of the population and 55% of the economy of the entire western United States (including Alaska and Hawaii). By contrast, the New York City CSA has only 16% of the population and 19% of the GDP of the entire eastern United States. California absolutely dominates the western U.S. This is because most states in the western U.S. have very small populations and economies compared to states in the eastern U.S.

Therefore, losing California would be FAR more dramatic and devastating, relative to its respective part of the country, compared to losing New York City would be.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-23-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

And what about the dollar? Ugh.
NYC can have the dollar and their financial infrastructure so long as we can remove ourselves from it completely and start fresh with our own currency and economy.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
NYC can have the dollar and their financial infrastructure so long as we can remove ourselves from it completely and start fresh with our own currency and economy.
Speaking of which, with NYC and California gone, Im thinking that the country swings more red and the South I think will have roughly half of the population and GDP.

So the new power center of the country will be the South and their lead will be increasing fast since they are the fastest growing part of the country anyway.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Speaking of which, with NYC and California gone, Im thinking that the country swings more red and the South I think will have roughly half of the population and GDP.

So the new power center of the country will be the South and their lead will be increasing fast since they are the fastest growing part of the country anyway.
You'd be surprised. Most of the large population centers in the South are blue anyhow and some states such as North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Florida, Georgia, etc. are increasingly blue. New England and The Mid-Atlantic are arguably the most progressive parts of the country. Not to mention The Pacific Northwest and places like Minneapolis, Chicago, etc. The population growth and GDP trends have everything to do with the unstable and semi-fradulent financial system in NYC-something that we will no longer be responsible for figuring out. I don't know if the rest of the country would form one nation to be honest. Without the US Dollar and financial system keeping us together economies would form to be more regional, effective and beneficial to the local market they serve.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-23-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.