Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are the culture wars most intense?
Maryland 2 3.45%
Virginia 9 15.52%
North Carolina 1 1.72%
Texas 21 36.21%
Florida 9 15.52%
California 16 27.59%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Republicans lost California because of racism, plain and simple. After proposition 187 fifteen years ago, Latinos fled the Republican party en-masse. But it is not simply the number of Hispanics [recent immigrants or multi-generational] that assure that Democrats win in California. There is a strong coalition of voters that includes huge numbers of minorities [Asians\ Blacks\ Latinos] who don't trust Republicans for good reason or gay people who have been persecuted by Republicans. Combine these groups with very liberal-minded Anglos in urban settings and, BINGO, Republicans lose, big time. Democrats are the only "big tent" as the GOP continues to purge whatever moderates they once had as well as any respect they once had.

The culture war has been won already in California & why such things as legalizing marijuana is even possible. The "Bible-belt" mentality is mocked & ostracized for incredible hypocrisy and just plain ignorance. Not a happy combination for anyone with half a brain.

I chose Texas as the prime example of where the culture war is going strong. State school boards insisting on "creationism" in science text books and a governor suggesting that Texas succeed from the U.S. are indicators of how powerful the religious right & fringe Confederate groups are. But the writing is on the wall and it is most apparent in the large cities of Texas that are Democratic and growing. Also a strong Libertarian mindset is beginning to peal off former Republicans away from a party they don't recognize or outright reject. That is the future of Texas and they only need to look west to California to see what is coming.
I 100% agree with this post. Texas is changing everyday and as the demographics continue to change along with the state becoming more urbanize, there is a reason why people think this state will be purple and perhaps blue as early as 2016 (some say 2012).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Although the term "culture war" started on the right the idea of radically changing the culture is traditionally a Left-wing thing. Specifically 1960s counter-culture and Sexual Revolution. (Both of which I oppose) The "culture war" also is sometimes used to refer to people who support a party for cultural reasons when it's not in their economic interests to do so.

I guess then New England could be a "cultural war" places. Wealthy New Englanders vote against their economic interests because they are socially liberal. It is also a region where the law is changing to support a Left-wing cultural view. Reaction against this can be seen in Scott Brown winning in Massachusetts and Maine voting against same-sex marriage.

Or "culture war" could refer to places that are strongly divided Right/Left with few moderates. Going by Gallup this would more fit "conservative states." The states with the lowest percent of self-described "moderates" were Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina, Mississippi, New Mexico, Montana, Oklahoma, Alaska, Georgia, and New Hampshire. New Hampshire and New Mexico are the only ones in that top ten to have above average amounts of self-described liberals. Massachusetts, New York, and Oregon are among the closest to being "split in three" with equal amounts conservative, moderate, and liberal.

State of the States

So possibly Massachusetts and New Hampshire should really be here. I've heard New Hampshire has had something of a "culture war" between liberal New York emigres, libertarian emigres, and natives.

Note: I'm putting in these terms as CS was doing the "social liberalism is the future/Republicans are bigots" schtick.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although the term "culture war" started on the right the idea of radically changing the culture is traditionally a Left-wing thing. Specifically 1960s counter-culture and Sexual Revolution. (Both of which I oppose)
Civil rights was part of that also.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
There is nothing racist about Proposition 187 in California and I'm of Asian descent. It targets ILLEGAL immigrants, not minorities in general. I also happen to support the current law in Arizona and any measures to crack down on illegal immigration. However I have to say as much as I care about this issue abortion still and will always come first when I go to the voting booth.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Civil rights was part of that also.
True. That part I like, but also that part was almost as much a 1950s thing or at least was not at base due to the culture changes of the 1960s. Eisenhower sent in the troops to Little Rock in 1957 in defense of integration and by 1959 the majority of states allowed interracial marriage. Although a great deal of the most important Civil Rights work occurred from 1961 to 1968.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I 100% agree with this post. Texas is changing everyday and as the demographics continue to change along with the state becoming more urbanize, there is a reason why people think this state will be purple and perhaps blue as early as 2016 (some say 2012).
Yep, I'll also co-sign. Texas most definitely. Another example, Houston voted in a lesbian mayor even with groups mounting an unsuccessful last minute campaign against her. It's a crucial time in Texas right now to see which way the state will go. I'll disagree with californio that Texas will wind up like California, though. For all their commonalities, the two states also have completely opposing mindsets, values, and approaches to certain issues which will prevent that from ever happening.

Compared to Texas, Massachusetts doesn't seem to have a culture war going on at all, which helps makes living here pleasant. I guess the war was won long before I got here.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Yep, I'll also co-sign. Texas most definitely. Another example, Houston voted in a lesbian mayor even with groups mounting an unsuccessful last minute campaign against her. It's a crucial time in Texas right now to see which way the state will go. I'll disagree with californio that Texas will wind up like California, though. For all their commonalities, the two states also have completely opposing mindsets, values, and approaches to certain issues which will prevent that from ever happening.

Compared to Texas, Massachusetts doesn't seem to have a culture war going on at all, which helps makes living here pleasant. I guess the war was won long before I got here.
One big reason I believe Texas will follow California in voting Democratic is the Latino factor. To my knowledge, Texas has the largest Hispanic population of any state besides California. What happened in California will very likely occur in Texas. The sleeping giant, once Latinos begin voting in large numbers they will vote as a block against Republicans. That's how Latinos have gained significant political power in California as well as Nevada & Arizona. Nevada is now a Blue state in spite of a huge Anglo Mormon population. Las Vegas is very diverse and very Democratic. The people in Arizona see the writing on the wall & know the Republican days are coming to an end.

This will occur in Texas and radically change the political balance; it's just a matter of time.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Republicans lost California because of racism, plain and simple. After proposition 187 fifteen years ago, Latinos fled the Republican party en-masse. But it is not simply the number of Hispanics [recent immigrants or multi-generational] that assure that Democrats win in California. There is a strong coalition of voters that includes huge numbers of minorities [Asians\ Blacks\ Latinos] who don't trust Republicans for good reason or gay people who have been persecuted by Republicans. Combine these groups with very liberal-minded Anglos in urban settings and, BINGO, Republicans lose, big time. Democrats are the only "big tent" as the GOP continues to purge whatever moderates they once had as well as any respect they once had.

The culture war has been won already in California & why such things as legalizing marijuana is even possible. The "Bible-belt" mentality is mocked & ostracized for incredible hypocrisy and just plain ignorance. Not a happy combination for anyone with half a brain.

I chose Texas as the prime example of where the culture war is going strong. State school boards insisting on "creationism" in science text books and a governor suggesting that Texas succeed from the U.S. are indicators of how powerful the religious right & fringe Confederate groups are. But the writing is on the wall and it is most apparent in the large cities of Texas that are Democratic and growing. Also a strong Libertarian mindset is beginning to peal off former Republicans away from a party they don't recognize or outright reject. That is the future of Texas and they only need to look west to California to see what is coming.
Rick Perry, the governor of Texas has stated reasons of succession because Texas is the only state in the union that still can do that, not because of confederacy, but because of economical advantages, that's his reason for his proped succession of the Grand state of Texas! =)
See the housing crash in California where illegal immigrants making 30K a year purchasing homes in California for 750K (This was discussed in a economical book) and it was approved by trust funds and loan grants by the state. Which led to that. I can't believe they paid little attention to it, the government of the state was the downfall.

The same concept is appearing in Texas due to national influence, which is why our business minded governor wants to make that break. However, that's not going to happen, Texas won't be stepping into the same realm. We're safe.

Anyways, he's not a good example of the entire state, he's just one person, and he's struggling for reelection this year anyways.

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-03-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
The way people rant on about Texas is really giving me second thoughts about relocating there sometimes. I'm a politically moderate (socially liberal, somewhat fiscally conservative, somewhat-but-not-very religious) black man, and I feel like I'm going to stand out like a sore thumb in some parts. I don't like extremism on either side, and given the virulent political climate lately, I can see things only getting worse.

Last edited by grindin; 05-03-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
One big reason I believe Texas will follow California in voting Democratic is the Latino factor. To my knowledge, Texas has the largest Hispanic population of any state besides California. What happened in California will very likely occur in Texas. The sleeping giant, once Latinos begin voting in large numbers they will vote as a block against Republicans. That's how Latinos have gained significant political power in California as well as Nevada & Arizona. Nevada is now a Blue state in spite of a huge Anglo Mormon population. Las Vegas is very diverse and very Democratic. The people in Arizona see the writing on the wall & know the Republican days are coming to an end.

This will occur in Texas and radically change the political balance; it's just a matter of time.
It won't be happening anytime soon, because Texas is still an overwhelmingly Red state. It's one of the safest Republican strongholds. And by soon I mean by next election.

Latino voters may have an influence but all the people in the Pan handle regions of Texas which makes up a lot of voters, and the suburban areas of Texas are strongly Republican. Unlike California, Texas's population is mainly in the Texaplex, which is a very strong Republican area, the big cities no, but the suburbs which have larger populations than the cities in general, yes.

We'll see where Texas politics takes us later, but as far as I can see, there's a better chance getting North Carolina to turn blue before Texas.

Texas by the next election and even the election after that will still be the red state everyone see's today. After that, I don't know, too far into the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_of_Texas

^ Texas has a STRONG Republican presence.

http://mydd.com/users/inoljt/posts/e...america-part-1

^^ Considered the strongest region for Republican stronghold in USA along with Oklahoma.

California and Texas are VERY different in their mentality, California has a very liberal setting, legalizing gay marriage and marijuana. I hate to say it but Texas isn't like that, because those are the last things the state of Texas will EVER do.
Texas is pro-business, and that's a very Republican characteristic, especially because majority of the governors have been business men and make the state business friendly.

Also take a look at the demographics for California and Texas.

California is a minority-majority state, where minority racial groups make up majority of the state's population, where as Texas is a majority-minority state, with an overwhelming 70.6% majority versus California's 42.3% majority. 20% of the national minority population lives in California. 102 million people in the US of minority ancestry out of 305 million people recorded. And 20% of those minorities live in California.

Also one can say that their close proximity to California and influx of Californian residents has influenced the shift towards the democratic party in Nevada, which still is a swing state because it's not majority one party, and Arizona, which is becoming a swing state while holding Republican prominence, even though it appears to be diminishing.

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-03-2010 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City