Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:05 AM

23 posts, read 25,840 times

Advertisements

Damaged
- Detroit
- Cleveland
- Pittsburgh
- Philadelphia
- Baltimore
- New Orleans
- St. Louis
- Cincinnati
- Las Vegas
- DC

Glorified
- New York City
- Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'm not feeding into anything really. How many people are moving to these cities? How many companies are taking their business to these cities?

One does not have an option to have good experiences anywhere if there aren't any jobs there. You can't fault the media for reporting the truth when it comes to foreclosures, crime, education, unemployment, and residents fleeing at every opportunity. Not sure if you've been to all of these cities, but I can tell you, from my own experience, New Orleans was a dump prior to Katrina and it isn't all that much better now.

I'm not knocking Detroit or Cleveland. I wish they would see a steady recovery, but it's not likely since most companies are taking their business overseas where they don't have to pay high overhead for production, real estate, and salaries. Honestly, how many families are going to move to these cities unless they can improve their current situation? Regardless of the media.
There are still people (a smaller ratio perhaps) living good lives, working good jobs, and having good experiences in New Orleans or Detroit or St. Louis. When the media has a whipping boy it only tarnishes the reputation even further. What if they reported more on the rebuilding of New Orleans. Perhaps more would be inspired to go down there and help out. You missed the point, you are seeing the glass half empty and that can happen anywhere!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
There are still people (a smaller ratio perhaps) living good lives, working good jobs, and having good experiences in New Orleans or Detroit or St. Louis. When the media has a whipping boy it only tarnishes the reputation even further. What if they reported more on the rebuilding of New Orleans. Perhaps more would be inspired to go down there and help out. You missed the point, you are seeing the glass half empty and that can happen anywhere!
It's like we're thinking the same thing, I was going to comment about the reconstruction of New Orleans just now.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
I'm french, so I can talk about french medias' perceptions

Glorified
NYC
LA
Chicago
Miami
Las Vegas
San Francisco
San Antonio (Because Basketball with Tony Parker)

Trashed

Detroit
New Orleans

Ignored
Houston
Dallas
Austin
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Boston
Cleveland
Atlanta
Nashville
Kansas City

Houston is ignored in US Medias, I don't understand why, it's fourth largest US city !!! And Houston's economy is very good !

Old 05-05-2010, 07:06 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
LA is always demonized by the media and what not, but is a great city, and much safer than say Chicago or SF.

Sf by contrast is glorified when it is infact quite gritty and is a high crime city, yet you get people who refer to it is a 'botique city' and such. I think people forget that SF lost its middle class and not its lower class some times...

Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Spoiler

Glorified
NYC
LA
Chicago
Miami
Las Vegas
San Francisco

Trashed

Detroit
New Orleans

Ignored
Houston
Dallas
Austin
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Boston
Cleveland
Atlanta
Nashville
Kansas City

Houston is ignored in US Medias, I don't understand why, it's fourth largest US city !!! And Houston's economy is very good !
Texas and its cities aren't really concerned with national notoriety. Texas has its own thing going on, Houston is the largest city in the U.S. with NO zoning laws that control how it will grow. The Port of Houston is one of the busiest in the nation, and historically Texans have the confidence to not worry about what the rest of the nation thinks. The media is centered in larger cities, principally on the east coast, plus Chicago and L.A. That's where their influence is, that's what they're going to report. But the only thing the media really produces is noise, not a widely sought after commodity.

If the media were to focus on Texas it would be reporting the successes of Texans. That doesn't fit their narrative.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I really hope the locals of Austin don't feel that I'm stabbing them in the back here, but it really is glorified a tad bit too much.
You're not.
I agree with you, as a former resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yah well the media makes it sound like Austin is the only spot in Texas that is civilized..when Dallas and Houston are really the progressive futuristic cities..which elect gay and lesbian mayors, city council persons and sheriffs and county judges, have black police chiefs, mayors and school supers, etc..when Austin really doesn't do that..
True.
I've seen Houston make so many "green" lists lately and other positive lists... but it's not thrown around much in the media. The media is plenty happy keeping the same old overused sprawl, heat, and nothing else that may actually give people the idea something in Texas other than Austin might be an alright or even a nice and progressive (gasp!) place. And how many people in other states really know about the mayor and all of the other things you mentioned. Now, if it were Austin or other more media-loved city with all of these, I'm sure we'd all have heard about it for the 20th time by now, and it would be used as more "evidence" for making the "best cities" lists. Just the way things are...

Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

Glorified
NYC
LA
Chicago
Miami
Las Vegas
San Francisco

Trashed

Detroit
New Orleans

Ignored
Houston
Dallas
Austin
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Boston
Cleveland
Atlanta
Nashville
Kansas City

I know it might seem like a bad thing sometimes to be ignored, but it'
s actually a good thing. I find the media as a center to brain washing, they're very uncultured, they bash and glorify what they feel, and over exaggerate and underrepresented credit and where it's due.
I'm glad Houston is able to keep itself away from that, that is not the kind of attention a big city needs.
For example;

Lets say this (It's just a made up example, please don't refute, I'm using it to make a point).
The media reports that in 2008 Houston was the greenest big city in America,
In 2009, they report that it's now 17th, all that negative attention that it would get because it can't live up to what it was at it's peak isn't a good thing.

The benefit of being ignored is that you don't really have to live up to your former reputation, because no one knows about them.

But it does come with a cost;

An ignored city is rarely ever looked upon by others, that's the only downside.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 PM

245 posts, read 215,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Phantom12 View Post
Damaged
- Detroit
- Cleveland
- Pittsburgh
- Philadelphia
- Baltimore
- New Orleans
- St. Louis
- Cincinnati
- Las Vegas
- DC

Glorified
- New York City
- Boston
No and no. Media damaged New York's image. Being the safest big city in America New York City is usually portrayed in movies as the opposite: run down, crime ridden and unfriendly place. Hollywood simply loves to destroy the city, the recent 2012 flick is a great example.

Is New York glorified in the media? I don't think so. It certainly draws a lot of attention as it hosts quite a few institutions of truly international caliber and after all it is the largest US city.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I know it might seem like a bad thing sometimes to be ignored, but it'
s actually a good thing. I find the media as a center to brain washing, they're very uncultured, they bash and glorify what they feel, and over exaggerate and underrepresented credit and where it's due.
I'm glad Houston is able to keep itself away from that, that is not the kind of attention a big city needs.
For example;

Lets say this (It's just a made up example, please don't refute, I'm using it to make a point).
The media reports that in 2008 Houston was the greenest big city in America,
In 2009, they report that it's now 17th, all that negative attention that it would get because it can't live up to what it was at it's peak isn't a good thing.

The benefit of being ignored is that you don't really have to live up to your former reputation, because no one knows about them.

But it does come with a cost;

An ignored city is rarely ever looked upon by others, that's the only downside.
You're certainly right !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City