Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'll vote for Chicago, since you have the same parking issues that you'll find in NYC or DC plus the weather extremes are worse, and road salt destroys your car.
What year are all these cars??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
For modern cars road salt is no longer an issue, but for classic rods it is murder.
Road salt is no respecter of a car's age.
Many newer cars are absolute rust buckets underneath. It all depends on how often the owner washes it in the winter. Also some brands just hold up better than others. Fords are notoriously rust prone, while Hondas are not nearly as bad from what I've seen. Some cars have the optional undercoating which helps.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Boston. Since I'd spent my childhood in Seattle and my parents had a garage, I was horrified after I let my Boston-native ex borrow my car, and when she picked me up, both bumpers were spiderwebbed and had gouges from license plate screws in them. "Bumpers are for bumping into things," she said to me, like I had missed the most obvious thing in the world. People in Boston do, indeed, just bump into cars with abandon... you'll walk past a brand-new Audi, and its bumper is all cracked and gouged from love-tap after love-tap. If I end up going back home for school or something, I'm going to have to shell out an extra few hundred bucks a month for a place with a garage or a space, and swap out for a hardtop

LA's Koreatown is horrific. The parking is a disaster - there are nowhere near enough spaces - so consequently, space is at a premium, and people love tap your car way too much. In some of the areas around Beverly and Vermont, over towards Normandie and third, it's epic-horrible, and the theft is pretty awful too. After I moved and got a place with its own space, my car still got vandalized twice when parked in... let me be blunt... poorer areas. It wasn't a super-nice car, but it was a late-model Jetta VR6 with rims and tinted windows, and probably the newest car on the block by at least ten years when someone keyed it taillight-to-headlight. Just sockin' it to the man for parking his car in the 'hood to while he beds a native girl, I guess.

My S2000 got broken into three times in Seattle; twice on First Hill, and once in Maple Leaf, which is a pretty benign neighborhood. By contrast, my car has never been broken into in SF, and while my car was keyed up in LA, it was never actually broken into. One of the times my car got broken into in Seattle, when the realized there was nothing of value, they slashed my seats up for good measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City