Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:03 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times

Advertisements

Utah and Colorado.

I've lived in both. Politics aside (polar opposites), both have large, sparsely populated areas with the exceptions of the CO Front Range and UT Wasatch Front, in which most of the population of each state resides. Both have the Rocky Mountains, with deserts, red rocks, canyons, skiing, outdoor lovers of nature, biking, and similarly dry climates (including micro climates). CO has the Great Plains on the east. UT has the Great Basin on the west. CO was carved out of the Utah and Kansas territories which met at the Continental Divide.

I've always perceived Utah as Colorado's little brother (or sister). I love both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Utah and Colorado.

I've lived in both. Politics aside (polar opposites), both have large, sparsely populated areas with the exceptions of the CO Front Range and UT Wasatch Front, in which most of the population of each state resides. Both have the Rocky Mountains, with deserts, red rocks, canyons, skiing, outdoor lovers of nature, biking, and similarly dry climates (including micro climates). CO has the Great Plains on the east. UT has the Great Basin on the west. CO was carved out of the Utah and Kansas territories which met at the Continental Divide.

I've always perceived Utah as Colorado's little brother (or sister). I love both places.
Just came to say CO and UT!

Old 12-16-2017, 05:59 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
North Dakota and South Dakota

Montana and Wyoming

Vermont and New Hampshire

Mississippi and Alabama

Arizona and New Mexico

Utah and Colorado

Oregon and Washington State

North Carolina and South Carolina

Illinois and Indiana

CT and MA

Old 12-16-2017, 09:55 PM

4,604 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Kansas & Nebraska?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Arizona and New Mexico
Some similarities.. red rocks, mesas, desert plains, sky island mountain ranges. Both have young statehood along with very old Native American settlements and present day reservations. New Mexico is more center left, Arizona has been trending more hard right politically. New Mexico has no parallel to Phoenix and the Valley Sun, it has no warm Sonoran desert, and it doesn't have the huge transplanted population base like Arizona. New Mexico has a more distinct native born culture and food style, and it has more older settlements than Arizona.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-16-2017 at 10:49 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
AL and Ga definitely. AL looks more towards Ga than Ms

Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

Illinois and Indiana
Definitely NOT.

The two states are completely different outside of the fact that they border one another.

Ohio/Pennsylvania

Minnesota/Wisconsin

Michigan/Wisconsin

Kansas/Nebraska

Ohio/Indiana (a stretch but I could see it because Indy and Columbus are VERY similar cities in many ways)

These might be the best Midwest pairings.

Illinois and Indiana are actually very unique states to both the Midwest and to each other. Moreso in terms of culture, government, and cities than simple geography.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:26 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
This thread was just recently done. However I always think of ND and SD, SC and NC, VT and NH, WA and OR, MN and WI...
You just told me you have no knowledge of NC and SC. They are basically the opposite of each other.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You just told me you have no knowledge of NC and SC. They are basically the opposite of each other.
You've gotta be kidding me.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:11 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Just to make it clear, I don't see "twin cities" or "twin states" as mirror images of each other. Minneapolis and St. Paul are different and Tampa and St. Petersburg are different. But they are large cities (one primary city, the other the secondary city) of influence within the same metro area and work within that relationship. That being said, some "twin states", per say, that come to my mind are:

NC/SC - They ARE twin states. Our main home is in NC and I've lived there all of my life. They are different, but have a kindred spirit with each other. We love visiting each other's vacation spots, playing each other in college sports, and having family members across state lines.

Some others: NY/NJ, WA/OR, GA/AL, NH/VT, TX/OK........I know there are others and I'm sure to get some who will swiftly correct me on my choices, lol. But these are just my personal impressions off of the top of my head. Interesting thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City