Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfax County VA vs. Harris County TX
Fairfax County VA 41 61.19%
Harris County TX 26 38.81%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:04 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Houston is more diverse than DC?

He is referring to the geographical diversity of the area, not the ethnic diversity. I sort of agree, but it isn't by THAT much.

It really boils down to personal preference. Do you want to live between Hill Country and the Gulf, or do you want to be between the Alleghenies and the Chesapeake Bay.

Now I want some crab cakes and fries seasoned with Old Bay... *drools*

Last edited by grindin; 05-10-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The only thing I find diverse regarding Houston's landscape is that there are the pine forest on the North side, coastal plains on the south side, broken up by water (bayous, lakes, the bay, and the gulf). However, It's no San Francisco or San Diego by any means, so lets not delude ourselves here.

DC is where the Piedmont and Coastal Plain meet, and some of the metro area extends into the foothills of the Appalachians to the Chesapeake Bay. I personally find the area more naturally attractive than Houston. To me, it's a wash between the two as to which has a more diverse landscape. Both are not THAT diverse in landscape to me, but they're not as generic as people seem to think.
You forgot to mention something in that DC lies on the Fall line. You have waterfalls JUST outside the DC area. I find the DC area landscape more aesthetically pleasing. Lot more green throughout the area, obvious and rolling hills, and from it's westernmost suburb, you can see the mountains.

Now Houston's Northern part and Houston's Southern part is night and day and that's pretty unique. But I never heard of the Texas hill country starting at Houston either. People in the actual hill country do not consider Austin in the hill country.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You forgot to mention something in that DC lies on the Fall line. You have waterfalls JUST outside the DC area. I find the DC area landscape more aesthetically pleasing. Lot more green throughout the area, obvious and rolling hills, and from it's westernmost suburb, you can see the mountains.

Now Houston's Northern part and Houston's Southern part is night and day and that's pretty unique. But I never heard of the Texas hill country starting at Houston either. People in the actual hill country do not consider Austin in the hill country.
Great Falls is a pretty cool spot. I'll be in the DC Area next week, and I just may make a stop there.

I'm an outsider, and don't consider Austin in hill country either, LOL.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:24 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
People in Marble Falls would throw a BBQ rib in your face if you say Austin is in the hill country. The area to the west is rolling plains or prairie. That's why the university to the west of Houston is called Prairie View. They maybe rolling. But they aren't hills.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM

182 posts, read 540,799 times
To anyone from Houston wondering about the "allure" of Tyson's Corner, let me help you visualize. It's 2 malls, and lots of low to mid-rise office buildings surrounded by horribly congested roads that twist, turn, and change names with each intersection. Regardless of some office space statistic, the Houston skyline is definitely more impressive. Save yourself the air fare!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
The Hill Country starts like 3hrs WEST of Houston, and about 5mins west of Austin. HECK, West Austin considered part of the Hill Country.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM

There are so many hills in West Austin.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Let me be honest. I don't think Fairfax County is comparable to Houston. It's a suburban county on the outskirts of DC. Harris County is a County of 4million people, with a city of 2.2million people, Houston is also the 4th largest city in the US. This isn't a DC vs Houston comparison, this is a Fairfax County vs Harris County(which CONTAINS Houston and MORE) comparison.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Yeah the Hill Country is typically considered the area just west of Austin and just north of San Antonio but there isn't really an exactly line for it. It starts to get drastically hilly not even five minutes west of downtown Austin. But the Hill Country is NOT the only place in Texas with nice rolling hills. Just east of Austin around Bastrop has some nice hilly land scape as well, but I don't think Bastrop is considered part of the Hill Country. There are also some very nice rolling hills just north of Houston around Huntsville, but I don't think any of that is in Harris County.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
People in Marble Falls would throw a BBQ rib in your face if you say Austin is in the hill country. The area to the west is rolling plains or prairie. That's why the university to the west of Houston is called Prairie View. They maybe rolling. But they aren't hills.
Yeah but Marble Falls people are weird. I actually used to live in Burnet so I know the area well. I think the reason Austin isn't considered the Hill "Country" is because it's the city not the country, even if Austin does get VERY hilly. Although, Austin is kind of the "main hub" for the Hill Country though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City