Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfax County VA vs. Harris County TX
Fairfax County VA 41 61.19%
Harris County TX 26 38.81%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM

220 posts, read 703,812 times

Advertisements

This thread was kinda stupid to begin with, comparing a suburban county of DC with a county with a major US city of over 2 million. But I'm not complainin', Fairfax is still winning the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
This thread was kinda stupid to begin with, comparing a suburban county of DC with a county with a major US city of over 2 million. But I'm not complainin', Fairfax is still winning the poll.
But in real life, Harris County is winning.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:21 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
If we are talking about the city, Houston is flat and dry as a pancake. DC has hills inside the city limits, plus cliffs that rise up above the Potomac heading west. Like I mentioned earlier, FF County is one of the top ten richest counties in the US. Where is Harris County ranked? FF also has top schools. It's no comparison!
So what your saying is that Fairfax County is for the elite, makes sense. So obviously, the average, middle class American family is going to prefer Harris County. So unless your upper class, Harris County is the place for you.

Houston had the most domestic migration, and 2nd total migration last year, so in real life, people are more likely to move to Harris County.

And the lack of knowledge of Harris County is due to Houston comprising the majority of the county, so Harris County is really irrelevant. Unlike Fairfax County which is fulll of suburbs, where people are more likely to associate with a county rather than a specific 20,000 suburb.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
So what your saying is that Fairfax County is for the elite, makes sense. So obviously, the average, middle class American family is going to prefer Harris County. So unless your upper class, Harris County is the place for you.

Houston had the most domestic migration, and 2nd total migration last year, so in real life, people are more likely to move to Harris County.

And the lack of knowledge of Harris County is due to Houston comprising the majority of the county, so Harris County is really irrelevant. Unlike Fairfax County which is fulll of suburbs, where people are more likely to associate with a county rather than a specific 20,000 suburb.
Actually, Houston was also first in this category.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
No one has mentioned the weather in Houston. The summers last longer,much longer, are much hotter, and MUCH more humid. Just miserable. The hordes of mosquitoes are large enough to carry off small pets and children. If you go outside during Houston's 8 or 9 months of summer, you will be devoured by mosquitoes.
^Likewise, no one has mentioned how people greatly exaggerate the "bad" weather as well, and make ridiculous claims like 9 months of summer (um, no) or stupid mosquito comments. You do realize DC and Chicago were built on swamps as well?

But nice try...

Quote:
If we are talking about the city, Houston is flat and dry as a pancake.
"Dry" is one of the last words I'd use to describe Houston. Have you ever taken a look at the annual rainfall amounts?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Houston is flat and dry as a pancake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
"Dry" is one of the last words I'd use to describe Houston.
Or a pancake.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Compared to the east coast, especially VA, Houston is flat as a pancake. It's also hotter than hell and VERY humid. But to each his own.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
This definitely isn't true. DC summers are shorter than Houston's but DC is also pretty humid. And we don't have hordes of mosquitoes down here. Houston's summers are from May until mid to October. It's really nice here the rest of the time.

You sure? About two hours away from the Houston metro, you are deep in the Texas Hill Country:
Yes, two hours away Houston has HILLS. Two hours from Fairfax we have MOUNTAINS, large enough for great ski runs!

Anyone who thinks the Hill country is beautiful has never seen Skyline Drive. http://z.about.com/d/forestry/1/0/3/...Beahms_Gap.jpg

Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Yes, two hours away Houston has HILLS. Two hours from Fairfax we have MOUNTAINS, large enough for great ski runs!

Anyone who thinks the Hill country is beautiful has never seen Skyline Drive. http://z.about.com/d/forestry/1/0/3/...Beahms_Gap.jpg
I don't see how that is much more beautiful than the Hill Country to be honest.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:47 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:

I don't see how the beauty of one group of hills negates the beauty of the other. And before you ask, I've been to DC, Virginia, Smoky Mountain National Park, Eastern Tennessee (obviously, if I've been to the Smoky Mountains), and Western North Carolina, used to live in the Hill Country (and unless you've been to Kerville, Fredericksburg, Horseshoe Bay, Inks Lake, and the Guadalupe, you haven't seen the best of the Hill Country), the Rockies, and hell, I've even been to the Ozarks. All of beautiful in their own right, but fact that Rockies are more majestic and amazing then any of the places mentioned doesn't make those places any less beautiful. Anyway, the Hill Country is still one of the most gorgeous places I've seen. The hills in central Texas have quite a different character then anything I've seen on the east coast.

Here's a picture of the Guadalupe
http://www.castellguideservice.com/a...Guad_view1.jpg

Last edited by wpmeads; 05-11-2010 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City