Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfax County VA vs. Harris County TX
Fairfax County VA 41 61.19%
Harris County TX 26 38.81%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Really? Tell me something I didn't know. I did indicate that in my post about the regions of Houston after all.

Also, you seem to have a really broad definition of what is Hill Country. This is the first I've heard of Houston being anywhere near there. The Hill Country consists of limestone/karst hills and generally lies on the Edwards Plateau. Which is nowhere near Houston

Level III Ecoregions of Texas
Look at this map: http://www.landkarten.aridocean.com/...le1a_thumb.jpg

Not sure if that's the best map to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
This definitely isn't true. DC summers are shorter than Houston's but DC is also pretty humid. And we don't have hordes of mosquitoes down here. Houston's summers are from May until mid to October. It's really nice here the rest of the time.

You sure? About two hours away from the Houston metro, you are deep in the Texas Hill Country:
I visited the hill country and was really impressed. It is a very beautiful area of Texas and the U.S. There is also a northern extent of it an hour west of Dallas starting in Parker County that area is very cool too.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I visited the hill country and was really impressed. It is a very beautiful area of Texas and the U.S. There is also a northern extent of it an hour west of Dallas starting in Parker County that area is very cool too.
DFW actually has a "mini" Hill Country in SW Dallas County.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Look at this map: http://www.landkarten.aridocean.com/...le1a_thumb.jpg

Not sure if that's the best map to use.
It's not. It's a relief/elevation map. And it still shows that Houston is about as flat as a billiard table and the chest of the waitress that served my food yesterday.

And it still shows that the Hill Country is further to the west, over by Austin and San Antonio.

Other Eco-Region maps of Texas that I've seen consistently put the region of Metro Houston in the region of the Western Gulf Coastal Plain/Piney Woods/Post-Oak Savannah/Blackland Prairie:

http://www.ucratx.org/APPENDIX_A.pdf

Texas Forest Service - Trees of Texas - Eco-Regions

Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
It's not. It's a relief/elevation map. And it still shows that Houston is about as flat as a billiard table and the chest of the waitress that served my food yesterday.

And it still shows that the Hill Country is further to the west, over by Austin and San Antonio.

Other Eco-Region maps of Texas that I've seen consistently put the region of Metro Houston in the region of the Western Gulf Coastal Plain/Piney Woods/Post-Oak Savannah/Blackland Prairie:

http://www.ucratx.org/APPENDIX_A.pdf

Texas Forest Service - Trees of Texas - Eco-Regions
Blackland Prairie....which is also what Austin and almost all of what Bexar County (San Antonio) is in. All of Dallas County is even covered.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Blackland Prairie....which is also what Austin and almost all of what Bexar County (San Antonio) is in. All of Dallas County is even covered.
Okay, and your point is? This is about DC vs Houston, this has nothing to do with DFW, SA, or Austin

Old 05-10-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
And your point is?
That the NW side of the Houston metro is the geographical start of the hill country. It's where the coastal plain transitions into the grasslands of the hill country.

And I got you before you edited your post. Not sure what that last sentence was for. It isn't like you're helping.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
If we are talking about the city, Houston is flat and dry as a pancake. DC has hills inside the city limits, plus cliffs that rise up above the Potomac heading west. Like I mentioned earlier, FF County is one of the top ten richest counties in the US. Where is Harris County ranked? FF also has top schools. It's no comparison!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
That the NW side of the Houston metro is the geographical start of the hill country. It's where the coastal plain transitions into the grasslands of the hill country.

And I got you before you edited your post. Not sure what that last sentence was for. It isn't like you're helping.
Like I said, this is the first I've heard of Grasslands being defined as Hill Country, but whatever helps you sleep at night. I showed ecoregion maps that show that assertion is a falsehood.

And you're not exactly helping by making such ridiculous assertions that grasslands/Post-Oak Savannah and the Hill Country are the same thing. They're not, geographically or geologically. And NW Harris County? Not exactly a hilly area. Hill Country it ain't.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Like I said, this is the first I've heard of Grasslands being defined as Hill Country, but whatever helps you sleep at night. I showed ecoregion maps that show that assertion is a falsehood.
No, you showed a map that shows parts of Houston's metro under the same formation as the areas around San Antonio/Austin.

I'll tell you how my sleep tonight goes.

Quote:
And you're not exactly helping by making such ridiculous assertions that grasslands/Post-Oak Savannah and the Hill Country are the same thing. They're not, geographically or geologically. And NW Harris County? Not exactly a hilly area.
Huh? I didn't say NW Harris County. I said the NW side of Houston's metro, which is Waller County. Waller County is hilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City