Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities in the same metro area are the most distinct?
Dallas and Fort Worth 16 15.69%
Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS 3 2.94%
Minneapolis and St. Paul 5 4.90%
Washington, D.C. and Baltimore 47 46.08%
San Francisco and San Jose 27 26.47%
Miami and Fort Lauderdale 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

The reason why Baltimore/DC is leading this poll is simply because there is no other metro region in this country that is in this distinctively unique situation. Miami and Ft Lauderdale have no major differences other than the ones stated above. Dallas and Ft Worth do not really have a strong cultural disconnect within its own metro area to seperate the two.

Baltimore is a traditonal East Coast port city built on a harbor off the Chesapeake Bay, the largest estuary in the nation. It has always been blue collar and many of the residents worked in many plants that have been shut down in the past 15 years. The culture resembles that more of a Philadelphia or Pittsburgh than of Washington DC. There are enclaves of poor whites, latinos, and blacks scattered across Baltimore. As well as affluent areas in the city also. The Baltimore suburbs especially to the North and East are more quiet traditional American towns and do not have a lot of sprawl. Most of these people are middle class citizens.

Washington DC's "half" of the CSA area is quite different. The Capital is a government center and headquaters for just about every important government department. The city proper is a vibrant international destination and business center for the United States. Surrounded by colleges and universities and suburban counties on it's borders that are among the wealthiest in the nation. There are WAY more transplants from all over the country and the world located here than in most cities. The poor population is typically reduced to the African American and immigrant population in the city, very few poor whites. The MSA is twice the size that of Baltimore's. The downtown area of DC is only behind NY and Chicago in terms of office space, and DC's metro system is the 2nd busiest in the US after NYC. It's a much faster paced and congested city even with a smaller city proper population at the moment. Washington's immediate 495/Beltway suburbs are the wealthiest in the nation, many have been know for having great schools, and the suburbs also have been fastly gaining ground as a Tech and IT cooridor also.

The slang is different in both cities, the accent (particularly in African Americans) has a difference to it. Baltimore cats sound more like they are from Philly than DC at times. Style of dress is different as well as two entire genres of music that seperate the cities Go-Go and Bmore Club music. And after all that said its a little over a 30 mile drive between the two major cities. I guess some things will just never change.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-09-2010 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Good Post^^^^^^

But a few post back, somone said that DC feels like a sunbelt city? DC is denser than Baltimore. And if you are only talking about the burbs, what is Sunbelt about Bethesda, Arlington, Alexandria and Silver Spring? And the DC and Baltimore accent is very different yet similar. They both share certain words like Merland = Maryland for example.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:14 PM

220 posts, read 703,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Maryland for example.
Murrlyn lol

Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Good Post^^^^^^

But a few post back, somone said that DC feels like a sunbelt city? DC is denser than Baltimore. And if you are only talking about the burbs, what is Sunbelt about Bethesda, Arlington, Alexandria and Silver Spring? And the DC and Baltimore accent is very different yet similar. They both share certain words like Merland = Maryland for example.

Areas like Tysons, Sterling, Rockville, Dulles Tollroad corrider - Route 28 for example etc - to me feel more like the Sunbelts than most of NE burbs

And Bethesda honestly feels like areas in Sunbelts too (the more urban ones closer to their cores) - more modern development and architecture - more planned etc.

Old Town no; definately not but meant a lot of the suburban development

I have lived in DC, Philly and NYC - DC feels more Sunbeltish than the others - and Baltimore reminds more of the other two

Though all have a bit of both

Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Areas like Tysons, Sterling, Rockville, Dulles Tollroad corrider - Route 28 for example etc - to me feel more like the Sunbelts than most of NE burbs

And Bethesda honestly feels like areas in Sunbelts too (the more urban ones closer to their cores) - more modern development and architecture - more planned etc.

I have lived in DC, Philly and NYC - DC feels more Sunbeltish than the others - and Baltimore reminds more of the other two

I think you're right on in this statement.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Agreed. Fairfax County feels very much like the "Sunbelt." (Shudder!)

Old 05-11-2010, 05:34 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
FF County looks like any other burb in the country. I don't see anything in Montgomery County (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Wheaton or Silver Spring) as sunbeltish at all. Rossyln, Ballston, Pentagon City and Crystal City either. I have also lived in BK and Chicago.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
FF County looks like any other burb in the country. I don't see anything in Montgomery County (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Wheaton or Silver Spring) as sunbeltish at all. Rossyln, Ballston, Pentagon City and Crystal City either. I have also lived in BK and Chicago.
I do think he has a point. Most of the people in Rosslyn, Ballston, Pentagon City, and Crystal City are transplants and the are young professionals or young families. They feel like sunbelt cities because they are practically nothing more than transit oriented developments over areas that were not there 20-30 years ago. No different than Atlantic Station in Atlanta.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:43 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
DC and Baltimore proper are distinctly different. Even though they are very close to each other..but their suburbs feel the same.

SF and SJ to me feel the same..a part of the bay area. SF is much more urban, and SJ is more suburban, but both feel very connected to each other. Both MSAs should be one MSA and not CSA. But they are far apart from one another.

Dallas and Ft. Worth are the same. So are the rest on the list.

So obviously DC and Bmore are very distinct from one another. I think the economic power of the government brings the vast distinction between the two.
Actually. No, they are not. The only big similarities between the two is that they are in Texas, they are suburban, and they cover a large area. Other than that, they are night and day.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually. No, they are not. The only big similarities between the two is that they are in Texas, they are suburban, and they cover a large area. Other than that, they are night and day.
they are very different and distinct, but "night and day" is an exaggeration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City