Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times

Advertisements

In what way? If you don't want to go with Zagat's that's fine but give me something besides your lone opinion. Most people seem to agree that Orlando has a considerable amount of dining options because of its tourism industry. People gotta eat. You are the first person I have ever heard mention Buffalo for food. So please give me more specifics as to what "everything" encompasses that Orlando lacks and Buffalo has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
In what way? If you don't want to go with Zagat's that's fine but give me something besides your lone opinion. Most people seem to agree that Orlando has a considerable amount of dining options because of its tourism industry. People gotta eat. You are the first person I have ever heard mention Buffalo for food. So please give me more specifics as to what "everything" encompasses that Orlando lacks and Buffalo has?
First of all, Orlando lacks foods specific to Orlando. Buffalo has foods like Wings and Beef on Weck that are Buffalo born. Orlando lacks a plethora of mom and pop type places. That is a category Buffalo thrives in. There are little diners, buger joints and grills all over Buffalo. Orlando has too many chains. If we are talking fine dining, Orlando will have more.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
A) Orlando lacks foods specific to Orlando: Orlando has restaurants that serve Alligator, I don't know of many places outside of Orlando even in other parts of Florida that have this.
B) Orlando lacks a plethora of mom and pop type places: While its not the diner mentality of the Northeast Orlando certainly has a large selection of 'independent' restaurants or small local chains.
C) Orlando does have too many chains, I hate chains, but we also have a ton of non chain restaurants. And another thing to consider is that a lot of those chains started in Orlando. So in a sense they're local businesses.

If you want to say Buffalo has better wings, diners, burger joints... I could easily see that being true. But you were the one stating "all encompassing" I hardly see how the american diner and sports bar is really all encompassing.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:15 PM

419 posts, read 447,949 times
oh, boo hoo. My city isn't on the list, so I'm going to go ignorantly attack other cities on the list I never even been too.

These lists are just for fun and mainly for journalist to put tuna sandwiches on the table. They are not to be taken seriously.

Seriously, a most fun city list? I like bingo, watching Golden Girls re-runs, and spending the whole day planning what to cook for dinner, so maybe my city deserves on the list.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
A) Orlando lacks foods specific to Orlando: Orlando has restaurants that serve Alligator, I don't know of many places outside of Orlando even in other parts of Florida that have this.
B) Orlando lacks a plethora of mom and pop type places: While its not the diner mentality of the Northeast Orlando certainly has a large selection of 'independent' restaurants or small local chains.
C) Orlando does have too many chains, I hate chains, but we also have a ton of non chain restaurants. And another thing to consider is that a lot of those chains started in Orlando. So in a sense they're local businesses.

If you want to say Buffalo has better wings, diners, burger joints... I could easily see that being true. But you were the one stating "all encompassing" I hardly see how the american diner and sports bar is really all encompassing.
ehhh, I really wouldn't call gator specific to Orlando. It's served all over Florida. Unless there is some sort of special gator dish that is specific to the city that many restaurants serve. Orlando lacks mom and pop restaurants if you have ever been to the northeast, especially Buffalo. Orlando has great fine dining, but for everything else, I'm taking Buffalo.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Of course you'd agree with the list; it has Philadelphia in the top 10.

Well that would be accurate - Philly in the top ten

Old 05-10-2010, 05:57 PM

166 posts, read 376,193 times
lol dallas at 39 for shopping? wtf

Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 AM

77 posts, read 200,224 times
The list isn't really about which cities are the most fun. As the article says, it is about which cities are best for running a business in each of those different categories. That is why places small cities that aren't usually renowned for being fun, such as Syracuse, Rochester, Bridgeport, Providence, Poughkeepsie, Albany, Youngstown, Omaha, and Buffalo are higher up on the list than many large cities such as DC, Houston, Atlanta, San Diego, Orlando, Cincinnati, and Tampa. The article probably not only includes gross figures, but also per capita figures and other statistics. I mean, I highly doubt anyone thinks Syracuse or Omaha are more fun than DC or Atlanta. It's all about the business climate of entertainment/leisure facilities, not where to actually go to have fun.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
^^providence is actually a pretty fun city

i don't know about being #11 though

Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
ehhh, I really wouldn't call gator specific to Orlando. It's served all over Florida. Unless there is some sort of special gator dish that is specific to the city that many restaurants serve. Orlando lacks mom and pop restaurants if you have ever been to the northeast, especially Buffalo. Orlando has great fine dining, but for everything else, I'm taking Buffalo.
They serve gator all of the place. Not just Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City