Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle314 View Post
We are coming from Seattle as well and are looking to move to a mid-smaller size southern city. We are looking at either Savannah or Charleston. We went to Savanah for a few days and loved it but like what everyone has to say about Charleston. Savanah was beautiful but we would love it if there were more things to do that werent touristy. Is there a liberal crowd in Charleston? Cool places to get drinks and hang out that arent too douchey? Also, is it easy to find an affordable older apart/home like it is in Savannah?
Thanks!
You'd probably get better responses in the Charleston forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
I'll buck the general trend and vote for Savannah. Any historic city that celebrates its Irish Catholic history by throwing the largest St. Patrick's Day event that I have ever attended gets two thumbs up from me! I love that it's a little bit naughty, mysterious and less buttoned up.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I've never been to either, but can't wait to go. The beaches look nice, but so does all the greenery and architecture. Both also seem to have nice weather.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM

31 posts, read 49,665 times
I'm from Charleston so no need for me to tell you which city I would recommend, but honestly both are nice and have similarities, but I think Charleston gives more variety considering it's proximity to so many different amenities. To many to list, but check for yourself...

Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,542 times
You can see both if you have a rental car, they are lovely. I found Savannah to quieter but slightly prettier than Charleston.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
In my opinion Historic Savannah would almost be the perfect city if only it were much larger and had more going for it economically. It's a little too warm a good part of the year but most of the year its really nice. Tybee Island also needs better stores and restaurants and things to do. The economy and Tybee Island are improvements that could definitely be done and hopefully I will live to see those improvements in not too long.

I visited Savannah two times this year and it just blows my mind. It's absolutely wonderful. The architecture, the beautiful Squares, the history, the people, stores, restaurants. I stand in one spot and feel like I could be in Back Bay Boston or Brooklyn Heights another and I'm reminded of the row houses of San Fransisco another and it looks like maybe SoHo but then you have the beautiful Mossy Oaks and gorgeous gardens and fountains to remind you you are in the South (not to mention provide shade from the heat and just create a nice atmosphere that's hard to describe). The old colonial buildings and cobblestones remind you just how much history this city has. Everything is walkable but you also have the buses, trolleys, taxis and horse carriages and even bicycle taxis. Pedestrians of all types from all over are always everywhere and nowhere do you see the ugly surface parking lots that litter Atlanta and so many other cities nor the aggravating panhandlers and homeless. It even smelled good between the food, the spice stores and the blossoms. I think it has nowhere near reached it's potential yet however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City