Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times

Advertisements

Everybody, please ignore durf. I don't even think he's from or possibly even been to San Jose. I think he's just another one of those unpleasant clowns that created yet another ID and persona to incite arguments. He's not being truthful about San Jose or anywhere else he's mentioning (Philly, SF, now Houston) and he's bringing up points that don't favor SJ at all. His consistent referencing of flickr as opposed to showing any pics of his own or anything else appears to be where he's learned what he learned about San Jose to play his SJ-booster role. San Jose is not lame like he's making it seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
jman650, you're wrong. I've been to all those places and know what it's really like over there. I just don't take pictures when I travel. I'll go so far to tell you if there's some type life in dt Houston, it would be around Macy's which is formerly Foley's, but most people hang out there are homeless and poor people. I'm not to trying to people down or the city down. I'm only trying to prove that I've been there recently. How do I know the shabby areas of Philly, which I've mentioned the threads before. I wouldn't know that on flickr. My favorite area in Philly is South Street and Penns landing, along the waterfront. I like Ben Franklin impersonator at the liberty Center, at the Franklin park in Center City. They even have 25 cent shuttle around Center City. Would I know that on flickr? You should try Jim's cheese steak on South St. They claim they're the best. I also like Pat's and Geno's on 9th street by the school in S. Philly. I guess it's on flickr, too? In San Jose, the Tech museum on Market st. across the street from the Fairmont. Safeway is on Second and San Fernando in dt San jose. Go check them out and verify. jman 650 is not believable. By the way, go check out Love's cupcake, which is right across the street from Market by Safeway on San Fernado. Market by Safeway faces Second st. across the street from the parking lot. Go see if that's on flickr. Please verify the info in person. After all, it's up to you all to believe if I'm just a blogger clown or for real.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Just look at the new cityhall in dt San Jose on Flickr.com and tell me that it doesn't look as good as Houston's. Also look at the Axis Condo of San Jose on flickr.com. Just type those buildings on when get on flickr.com or type downtown San Jose and keep looking. You can also look for them on google by typing downtown San Jose and then press image.
You're the one going on and on about how great San Jose is and how we simply don't understand (even those of us who have been there). The onus is on you to find the pictures showing how dense and vibrant downtown San Jose is. So far you've given us absolutely nothing while others have shown how downtown SJ isn't what you're making it out to be. Go ahead, if it's so evident, give us the evidence.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
jman650, you're wrong. I've been to all those places and know what it's really like over there. I just don't take pictures when I travel. I'll go so far to tell you if there's some type life in dt Houston, it would be around Macy's which is formerly Foley's, but most people hang out there are homeless and poor people. I'm not to trying to people down or the city down. I'm only trying to prove that I've been there recently. How do I know the shabby areas of Philly, which I've mentioned the threads before. I wouldn't know that on flickr. My favorite area in Philly is South Street and Penns landing, along the waterfront. I like Ben Franklin impersonator at the liberty Center, at the Franklin park in Center City. They even have 25 cent shuttle around Center City. Would I know that on flickr? You should try Jim's cheese steak on South St. They claim they're the best. I also like Pat's and Geno's on 9th street by the school in S. Philly. I guess it's on flickr, too? In San Jose, the Tech museum on Market st. across the street from the Fairmont. Safeway is on Second and San Fernando in dt San jose. Go check them out and verify. jman 650 is not believable. By the way, go check out Love's cupcake, which is right across the street from Market by Safeway on San Fernado. Market by Safeway faces Second st. across the street from the parking lot. Go see if that's on flickr. Please verify the info in person. After all, it's up to you all to believe if I'm just a blogger clown or for real.
You're completely wrong. You're talking about the Downtown Houston of 15 years ago. Downtown Houston today:

http://www.pbase.com/lsyd/image/126163374/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lsyd/image/126163376/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lsyd/image/126163382/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lsyd/image/126163405/original.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/...73f86ab9_b.jpg

But, you can't forget that Downtown Houston has one of the most extensive tunnel systems in the world. It's filled with shops, restaurants, beauty salons, etc. A lot of people are there when it's hot outside. If that activity was street level, no one would be talking about Downtown Houston being dead.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 PM

Wow, that picture of downtown Houston from that looks small and uninteresting. There's that new Hines building nearing completion. Dt Houston, is not only not dense, but it's small. There are only 53 highrises, includes the 3 that are nearing completion, in Dt Houston that are 7 stories or taller. The tallest one, being said, is 80 story commerce tower to the left on this picture. Dt. San Jose has 60 towers that are 7 story or taller. I count all their highrises in their downtowns when I visit cities. That's my one Ammo.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 PM

The tunnel system is a distaster with only convenient stores and restaurant. The tunnel system has robbed Dt Houston of its life. However, it can mesh with street level by a cafe/ restaurant along with some cute store linking the underground with street level like in Dt Montreal, Canada, it would work. It takes a loooooooooong time for to happen if they start working on it soon.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Post a picture of Downtown San Jose and all of it's buildings. It's laughable that you think it's more than Houston, off of your own count.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:44 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Post a picture of Downtown San Jose and all of it's buildings. It's laughable that you think it's more than Houston, off of your own count.
Fort Worth has taller buildings than San Jose.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 PM

832 posts, read 3,852,920 times
Oakland has taller buildings than San Jose

Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 AM

I never said the buildings were taller. They're not that short either. Most of the buildings in Dt San jose are 15-20 stories, and that's not bad. The tallest is the Mariott in dt San Jose, which is 28 stories. The second tallest is 23 stories, the 360 residences. The skyline of Dt San Jose is actually prettier than Houston's because they're are very colorful. When you drive along Highway 280 and 87, the skyline is very impressive. Oakland has relatively few highrise, albeit taller than San Jose's. Houston's skyline is taller with the tallest one being 80 story, but it's less dense and bland. When you go to Dt San Jose, just count all the buildings 7 stories and taller. You'll see who has more highrises. The fire department classified buildings 7 stories or higher as highrises, and I'm sticking to it. Sorry! Yeah, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Toledo, Ohio have very tall buildings, taller than San Diego, Phoenix, San Antonio and Baltimore, but they're skimpy skylines. You guys are one hundred feet taller, are ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City