Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Kansas City 73 48.67%
Nashville 77 51.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Two of the most uncredited cities I have seen on CD. They're both unique and offer something different to the table.

I would like better information about these two, as I do not know much about them, but would like to visit them one day.

Nashville or Kansas City, based on the following criteria.

The criteria to do comparisons on;

- Growth
- Diversity (food)
- Diversity (Economy)
- Diversity (People)
- Education
- Professional sports
- Parks/Recreation
- Waterfront
- Public transportation
- Airport
- Natural Scenery

You may include the metropolitan area.

Those would be the criteria. Please keep this civil and on topic, discussions about certain aspects of a city are okay, but please don't boast about or bash a city not in this thread.

Last edited by JMT; 01-29-2017 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Skyline discussions are not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:33 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Nashville !

Old 05-15-2010, 01:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Not sure how each stacks up in every category, but here are my answers nonetheless:

- Growth: Nashville
- Diversity (food): I'm leaning towards KC on this one because it specializes in a particular cuisine (BBQ)
- Diversity (Economy): tough one, not sure
- Diversity (People): not sure
- Education: Nashville
- Professional sports: KC
- Parks/Recreation: not sure
- Waterfront: not sure
- Public transportation: not sure
- Airport: would think it would be KC because it's a larger metro area, but Nashville has a larger tourism sector so I'm not sure
- Natural Scenery: toss-up

Last edited by JMT; 01-29-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 03:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,424,922 times
This is kind of funny. I visited Kansas City for the first time a year ago. I really liked it. I see lots of negative things said about it and I wasn't sure what to expect. I love living in Nashville....but KC was one of the few cities that I've visited that I could actually see myself moving to. I've visited some great cities...but I'm usually ready to go home after a few days. One thing that I didn't care for was that I felt like I was out in the middle of nowhere. Obviously, it was my frame of reference. It does seem kind of isolated though. Kansas City is bigger and has an older feel. There were things that I thought were better in Kansas City...but then there were things that I thought were better here as well. Both are great cities, imo.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
I voted Kansas City.

I think Kansas looks nicer scenery wise. I love BBQ. I love Jazz. I could care less about education at either of them because neither one is good for my field. I think Kansas City has a denser downtown core which I like. I like that Kansas City is more centrally located nationally. Nashville is closer to a lot of major cities on the East, South, and even Great Lakes but its very far from the Rocky's and the West. I'm trying to relocate to somewhere in the middle like Oklahoma City or Kansas City so I can be more centrally located. I could care less about sports in either city since I'm an NBA fan.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I voted Kansas City.

I think Kansas looks nicer scenery wise. I love BBQ. I love Jazz. I could care less about education at either of them because neither one is good for my field. I think Kansas City has a denser downtown core which I like. I like that Kansas City is more centrally located nationally. Nashville is closer to a lot of major cities on the East, South, and even Great Lakes but its very far from the Rocky's and the West. I'm trying to relocate to somewhere in the middle like Oklahoma City or Kansas City so I can be more centrally located. I could care less about sports in either city since I'm an NBA fan.
Another city you can check out is Omaha. It's dead in the center of the USA, IMHO.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Already did.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Nothing against Nashville, but there is just a lot more to do in KC, it's a bigger city, has more of an urban feel to it and it just seems more like a major city than Nashville.

Nashville is a major city, but KC just has more to offer.

Nashville might get the edge on topography and location though. Nashville is in a pretty part of the country and the Smokey Mountains are cool, but as far as the city and metro, KC wins IMO.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
^I'd imagine that Nashville could give KC a run for its money in the nightlife department, if not flat out win.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
In case you didn't hear, Nashville was severely flooded a few weeks ago causing over $1 billion in damage (making it one of the costliest disasters in US history). Much of downtown was underwater due to the Cumberland river rising 13 feet above flood level. A good number of the bars, nightclubs, and honky tonks in Nashville's tourist district are severely damaged.

So Nashville won't be winning any nightlife competitions right now.

It didn't get hardly any national media attention due to the oil spill and the times square bombing attempt (go figure) but this is what Nashville looked like about two weeks ago...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...villeFlood.jpg

Lower Boadway & 2nd Ave tourist district: Flooded
Schermerhorn Symphony Hall: 8 Feet of water in basement.
LP Field (home of the Titans): Flooded
Grand Ol' Opry: Flooded/Closed indefinitely
Opryland Hotel and Resort: Flooded/Closed indefinitely
Opry Mills Mall: Flooded
etc
etc
etc

Here's a good slideshow video:

YouTube - Nashville Tennessee Flood 2010

And an article in Newsweek:
Why the Media Ignored the Nashville Flood - The Gaggle Blog - Newsweek.com

Last edited by JMT; 01-29-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City