Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Normally I have noticed that the Starbucks attached to Barnes & Nobles are highly successful, making another one yards away from it must really downsize on the other ones business, because from what I have noticed most prefer going to Starbucks in Barnes & Nobles. Especially high school and college kids who go with a study group...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
You must of just had bad people. The employees working at those starbucks are hired through starbucks. They have nothing to do with the stores they are inside of. There are long term employees in them. They are no different.
then how come they have those pump action coffee pot holders instead of the large tanks to brew fresh? this is the setup they have in safeway.

it is like this little station, and I swear they are safeway workers b/c they have safeway registers, etc.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
then how come they have those pump action coffee pot holders instead of the large tanks to brew fresh? this is the setup they have in safeway.

it is like this little station, and I swear they are safeway workers b/c they have safeway registers, etc.
Oh the ones I see inside of Krogers and Targets in Houston area are actual Starbuck's. Like they have places where you can sit, and look like a real Starbuck's.

But I have seen those weird cart designed kinds at Randall's.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:

That is safeway. I have been talking about target where they are actual real starbucks locations with all the same amenities as a starbucks store. Not a little station like at safeway. The one in my target has actual starbucks employees.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
That is safeway. I have been talking about target where they are actual real starbucks locations with all the same amenities as a starbucks store. Not a little station like at safeway. The one in my target has actual starbucks employees.
k gotcha, I'll just concede that they are probably different, I am referring to the stations. The few I know of are worse looking than that pic, there is nowhere to sit, its sitting by some rotissirie chicken and some tostitos. I haven't had a problem with the ones at Barnes and Noble though.

BTW i thought seattles best was Borders not B&N

Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,919 times
Quote:
None of the Starbucks in Target stores are owned or operated by Starbucks. The employees are Target employees trained to be just like a Starbucks barista. Starbucks licenses the drinks, the branding, the design, etc... all to Target. Starbucks gets a portion of the sales out of the deal and doesn't have to have operating costs/employee costs then.
Again, even though it looks like Starbucks, it is still managed and employed by Target (but you get Starbucks drinks!).
All these sources confirm the employees are Target's.
Starbucks to Set Up Coffee Shops in Target Stores (http://www.organicconsumers.org/starbucks/101402_fair_trade.cfm - broken link)
Dow Jones: Target Plans to Put Starbucks Coffee Shops in its Stores | Retail > Retailers from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/food-stores/4250521-1.html - broken link)

Here are some people on yahoo answers who work for a Starbucks in a Target. They are trained by a Starbucks rep and wear Starbucks uniforms, but are under Target management and are paid BY Target. Target Starbucks workers can't get tips because they make the same as all Target employees in the store:
Working at Starbucks In Target stores? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 05-16-2010, 02:44 PM

thanks coo...that is what I thought all along. That verifies the quality of the baristas I was talking about. They don't know what they are doing, just pushing buttons. If its anything other than pouring a coffee or a common frap, they eff it up (in my experience) and I don't even order complicated drinks, just maybe something they aren't used to making. I can easily tell if they mess it up, and most of the time you can watch them make it and do it wrong (like filling half the cup with water, wtf). I am not sure about everywhere, but the ones here, at least other coffee shops I have seen peet's want them to have 1-2 years barista experience... I was helping my gf looking through jobs so that is where I know that from. I hate to sound like a coffee snob, but these are pretty easy drinks I order for a *normal* barista who knows what they are doing, not tommy from the bakery who decided he wanted a change of scenery My gf has the same exp, we just went in not too long ago and she got a no whip drink, of course, loaded whip allover it, then the dude grabbed the drink and scooped off the whip in the sink and handed it back LOL.

Last edited by grapico; 05-16-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
thanks coo...that is what I thought all along. That verifies the quality of the baristas I was talking about. They don't know what they are doing, just pushing buttons. If its anything other than pouring a coffee or a common frap, they eff it up (in my experience) and I don't even order complicated drinks, just maybe something they aren't used to making. I can easily tell if they mess it up, and most of the time you can watch them make it and do it wrong (like filling half the cup with water, wtf). I am not sure about everywhere, but the ones here, at least other coffee shops I have seen peet's want them to have 1-2 years barista experience... I was helping my gf looking through jobs so that is where I know that from. I hate to sound like a coffee snob, but these are pretty easy drinks I order for a *normal* barista who knows what they are doing, not tommy from the bakery who decided he wanted a change of scenery My gf has the same exp, we just went in not too long ago and she got a no whip drink, of course, loaded whip allover it, then the dude grabbed the drink and scooped off the whip in the sink and handed it back LOL.
That doesn't mean the quality is any different.. Starbucks partially owns them by getting a % of the sales, the employees are trained BY starbucks and they wear starbucks uniforms, they don't work anywhere in target, they just get paid by target. And the stores are set up to match regular starbucks stores exactly, with all the same amenities and menu items. I've been to starbucks in target and a regular starbucks and I have not noticed any difference. If you have really been to one of those target locations and you noticed a difference than you must notice a difference everytime you go to any starbucks because it's impossible for everyone to make the same drink EXACTLY the same. Or maybe you just had a bad experience.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
That doesn't mean the quality is any different.. Starbucks partially owns them by getting a % of the sales, the employees are trained BY starbucks and they wear starbucks uniforms, they don't work anywhere in target, they just get paid by target. And the stores are set up to match regular starbucks stores exactly, with all the same amenities and menu items. I've been to starbucks in target and a regular starbucks and I have not noticed any difference. If you have really been to one of those target locations and you noticed a difference than you must notice a difference everytime you go to any starbucks because it's impossible for everyone to make the same drink EXACTLY the same. Or maybe you just had a bad experience.
actually they have guide lines to make the cups, there is a giant manual of drinks, they just do not follow it accurately, b/c they are lower quality workers, and don't know how to make an off menu item or tweak a drink. I'd hate to see them try to operate a real espresso machine, where as I go into a starbucks in a city 'hood, the quality is always better and they make better drinks. I really have no reason to make this up. I asked somebody for a red eye @ 190 the other day and they looked at me like I was crazy. I've had the same looks when I ask for light water/ ez water. It is not just a bad experience man, I drink coffee out everyday, for I Dunno, forever? So I've probably been there over 1000 times, I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about. I'll stick with what I originally said, the quality of the drinks at non starbucks, flagship stores, high volume stores, whatever you may call them is inferior in my mind.

Last edited by grapico; 05-16-2010 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 06:16 PM

If the employees are both trained by starbucks, make the same drinks using the same guidlines, ingriedience and tools idk how they could be any different. Maybe the target near you has sucky people working at the starbucks. But the ones I go to, taste no different from regular starbucks stores.. You can keep your opinion, I'm just gonna believe my own personal experience before I believe someone from the Internet. As you are with your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City