Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more diverse?
San Francisco Bay Area 52 40.31%
Tri-State Area 77 59.69%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea ok mr im 15 and still in the 8th grade , not to mention you have more then 1 account , with different names how lame
LOL being 15 and in 8th grade would mean that he got held back, you mean 14?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Soooo NYC>SF, NYC Tri-State<Bay Area? That makes sense.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
you are not very smart, people on this board are talking about ethnic diversity which is obviously more of a factor then just naked race.

with that being said nyc own the bay area in ethnic diversity. how diverse are your black population or hispanic population or even white population.

the bay area only has ethnic diversity in its asian communities compared to nyc which has ethnic diversity in every race so please stop

This isn't a very smart argument either... do you really think that out of all the black/white/asian/hispanic people in the bay area, there's no italians/germans/irish/carribean/puerto ricans/haitians/etc? If we win in racial diversity there's a VERY good chance we also win in ethnic diversity. Just because we don't have a neighborhood for every ethnicity doesn't mean they're not there.

Is it just me or is this ethnicity argument pretty meaningless?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:53 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

I would actually prefer an accurate Ethnicity ranking...way more fun.

HOWEVER, most of the people who report that they are German or Italian(etc) are actually US born Americans who are assimilated into the US already several generations.

We can't really get a good gage of diversity from just ethnicity, which is why I would rather look at Foreign Born populations. What we also need is solid data on the US born children of immigrants because I believe(from personal experience as the son of immigrants) that they are the generation that transitions from their ancestral homeland and all generations after them are basically Americanized(as they should be).

My neices and nephews cannot understand Tongan to save their life, but their parents(my siblings) and I, do speak Tongan very well...however in keeping with being in a new country, we can't expect future generations to be as integrated with our past because they simply have no functional use for their old language etc. Its kinda sad but its such a blessing to be in the US that I think the tradeoff is more than fair.

My 2 cents.

I think my next thread might be on the Ethnicities of the Largest CSAs...hmmm(thinking).

Old 05-18-2010, 04:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This isn't a very smart argument either... do you really think that out of all the black/white/asian/hispanic people in the bay area, there's no italians/germans/irish/carribean/puerto ricans/haitians/etc? If we win in racial diversity there's a VERY good chance we also win in ethnic diversity. Just because we don't have a neighborhood for every ethnicity doesn't mean they're not there.

Being the OP, the first 2 pages were nice and pleasant conversations. And both Bay Area and Tri-State Area supporters were placing facts against facts to prove their points.

The last page I have seen nothing but constant argument with the Bay Area folks being the only ones displaying information for their claims, and then getting shot down everytime they tried proving what they say.

I would hate for my thread to get closed down for bickering as there are still probably many things that haven't been covered yet, but I am sure with the bickering going on it will be closed if it continues. And I am VERY impressed with Bay Area residents providing sources. I learned a lot of new things because of them.
I know Tri-State is possibly the more diverse, but in the last page, all I've seen is "wth... you're delusional to say any place is more diverse than NYC... etc..." there's just no substance with posts like that, no proof. I like to see stats.

Also, eek has done a great job with pictures, looks good!

Anyways.... carry on.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM

254 posts, read 693,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Soooo NYC>SF, NYC Tri-State<Bay Area? That makes sense.
I can definitly agree with that consensus too

Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
I don't know man, I mean like I said earlier New York City is the most diverse city in the country, New Jersey is arguably the most diverse state in the country. Those 2 together should be owning the Bay Area, Lol I guess Connecticut is our downfall.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Suspect highest-paid workers at Goldman in NYC are not dissimilar from highest-paid workers at Apple or Google in SiliconValley: lots of Jews, Indians and random white dudes

Competitive, lucrative industries anywhere self-select most talented workers of any persuasion who can generate profits

Rest of "diversity" tends to be a bunch of parasites who feed off other taxpayers...

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
^ Lmao jesus christ..

Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't know man, I mean like I said earlier New York City is the most diverse city in the country, New Jersey is arguably the most diverse state in the country. Those 2 together should be owning the Bay Area, Lol I guess Connecticut is our downfall.

Have you been to the bay? This is an honest question...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City