Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more diverse?
San Francisco Bay Area 52 40.31%
Tri-State Area 77 59.69%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:39 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times

Advertisements

i don't know lifeshadower nor do i care to know that person so i don't know if the person is male or female.

and you'll take anything against nyc regardless of who's saying it. regardless if post after post of research supporting what we're saying exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i don't know lifeshadower nor do i care to know that person so i don't know if the person is male or female.

and you'll take anything against nyc regardless of who's saying it. regardless if post after post of research supporting what we're saying exists.
Absolutely not true, at all.

I just can't stand braggarts, of any stripe. You guys have way more than your fair share - and it absolutely begs a response.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 440,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think people are confused because the Bay Area is so wealthy and highly educated and so known for its yuppies and Silicon Valley and what not, that they automatically assume that the region is lily white...perhaps they do it subconsciously. I don't know.

But the reality is, the region is one of the most diverse in the world.
No. Not really.
We think the same of the socioeconomic traits when we think NY metro, so we're not assuming anything.

The point is - ethnic diversity is just as important as racial diversity. When it comes to racial diversity, NYC and Bay Area are tied. Its been widely assumed that NY is far more ethnically diverse than the Bay Area, and unless we have some numbers that dispute that i'm still going with the Tri State when it comes to diversity.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Absolutely not true, at all.

I just can't stand braggarts, of any stripe. You guys have way more than your fair share - and it absolutely begs a response.
we aren't bothering you tho.
we (at least i don't) go in atl (or insert your city here) related threads that have nothing to do with nyc just to talk about how atl (or insert city here) is not going to win the poll, topic, whatever.

we don't derail topics that aren't related to nyc at all...yet there are always ppl in here from neither city that want to talk about how great *insert city is* in relation to nyc.

why is that???

unless its ______ vs nyc, me and the majority of ppl that post in this area from nyc aren't even in the thread at all.

when the topic is ____ vs nyc then yes, we are going to talk about how our city is. we should be able to.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM
TT1

Quote:
You 2 are new here...just noticed that. Yes Ive been living in NYC for a few months now...moved to NYC from Brazil by way of The Bay Area.(Most of the more seasoned forumers here know that Im a huge Bay Area homer-no harm intended tho)

I love living in New York-its amazing. This is the 3rd time Ive lived in NYC and it has never failed to impress me over and over again. Although I've been thinking of moving to a house over to a house in Alpine, NJ that I looked at a few days ago-been staying at my Mother-in-Law's townhouse and its cool(Mainly cause she's at home in Brazil-hahaha) but I've been feeling claustrophobic...sometimes I like grass and trees and a pool.
Yep you are extravagant. LOL. Nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Alpine is an affluent borough in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the borough population was 2,183. According to Forbes, Alpine ranks first in "America's Most Expensive ZIP Codes" for 2009, with a median home price of $4.14 million.
Alpine, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Suspect highest-paid workers at Goldman in NYC are not dissimilar from highest-paid workers at Apple or Google in SiliconValley: lots of Jews, Indians and random white dudes

Competitive, lucrative industries anywhere self-select most talented workers of any persuasion who can generate profits

Rest of "diversity" tends to be a bunch of parasites who feed off other taxpayers...
How did I already predict the content of this guys post, word for word?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM

254 posts, read 693,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I sit on the board of a Tongan community group in the Bay Area and we are trying our darndest to make the 2010 Census reflect what all past Census years have missed in our community.

We estimate between 15,000-25,000 Tongans in the Bay Area, but the Census last time around reported less than half that.

That is due to people in our community not understanding what the Census is, primarily due to the language barrier.

So we've been holding several open houses at various Tongan churches around the Bay(including EPA). Our campaign has hopefully worked and this will be reflected in the results of the Census.

Oh, and Im from Oakland.
Hey I was born and raised in San Mateo myself. I grew up in the Shoreview district east of the 101. I remember the sizeable Tongan presence in my neighborhood. I remember as a kid, I was always fascinated how my next door neighbors would cook whole pigs on a spit type set up and in their backyard. I loved it though. That was the best tasting pork. I miss those days in the Bay Area.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:34 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,414,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
So I took you up on your offer and created newer variables and plugged in your diversity index, and will concede, SF still beats out NY metro - but barely: 0.755 vs. 0.736.

I broke up the White non-Hispanic into three groups:

White non-Hispanic US born
White foreign born (in Europe and Canada)
and Arab.

I broke the Black category into:
Black non-Hispanic US born
Black West Indian Ancestry
Black Sub-Saharan African Ancestry

Hispanic I broke into:

Mexican
Puerto Rican
Cuban
Other

And finally Asian into:
East Asian
South Asian

I used the 2006-2008 ACS Census estimates to come up with these numbers.

I think it paints a slightly more accurate picture.

breaking down these races/ethnicites into these groups proves that nyc is more ethnically diverse. the puerto ricans/cuban population is way lower then nyc , and the main majority of blacks are afro american. and san Fransisco does not have more white groups then nyc. the only race in sf with more ethnic diversity then nyc are asians.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:44 PM

254 posts, read 693,790 times
It will be interesting to see the figures from the 2010 census. I remember reading a few years ago that Santa Clara County had the nation's fastest growth in Asian population in raw numbers. It was growing even faster than humungous LA county.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
The point is - ethnic diversity is just as important as racial diversity.
No one is denying that, but you don't win both categories. Not at all.

Furthermore, it has been demonstrated here that regionally speaking, the Bay Area's racial diversity and disapora of foreign born residents is more far reaching than in the NY CSA.

Quote:
When it comes to racial diversity, NYC and Bay Area are tied.
As far as CSA vs CSA, they are not tied. We've already gone over this several times and now its getting redundant to rehash the same thing over and over and over and over again.

New York CSA
54.0% White Non-Hispanic
15.7% Black Non-Hispanic
20.1% Hispanic
8.4% Asian
1.0% Two or More Races

San Francisco CSA
46.2% White Non-Hispanic
6.4% Black Non-Hispanic
22.4% Hispanic
21.1% Asian
2.6% Two or more races

The Bay Area has no racial majority group and 3 groups have more than 20%.

NY actually has a majority group and only one other group has more than 20%.

Quote:
Its been widely assumed that NY is far more ethnically diverse than the Bay Area, and unless we have some numbers that dispute that i'm still going with the Tri State when it comes to diversity.
We've posted several stats already proving our points. No one is saying that Bay Area is more ethnically diverse, but there are many signs here based on the data that would indicate that perhaps this is also the case in a region vs region comparison.

The huge amount of data shown in this thread has been quite compelling and very informative for people who have actually taken a look.

I will repeat yet again a statement that Ive already made twice in this thread but obviously bears repeating:

We know the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than NY, we know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than NY, we know that the Bay Area has greater racial diversity than NY and we know that the Bay Area's diversity is also more spread out throughout the entire region than NY.

That is all substantiated by the US Census Bureau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City