Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more diverse?
San Francisco Bay Area 52 40.31%
Tri-State Area 77 59.69%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
barking up the wrong tree..

Not really...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Segregation isn't always negative, sometimes it's cool to drive through a neighborhood thats specifically Chinese or Italian etc.

This is true... however, the fact still remains that enclaves are holdovers from the days when people separated themselves from each other because they didn't have a choice... the moment people were able to move away from what essentially amounted to ethnic ghettos, they did. Thus why all of the chinatowns in the US are a fraction of the size they used to be in terms of population...

Old 05-19-2010, 09:36 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is true... however, the fact still remains that enclaves are holdovers from the days when people separated themselves from each other because they didn't have a choice... the moment people were able to move away from what essentially amounted to ethnic ghettos, they did. Thus why all of the chinatowns in the US are a fraction of the size they used to be in terms of population...
I see what your saying.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
nyc...
as another poster, ethnicity is not race.
Ethnicity can be a poor barometer as well. Its fun to look at but to say that The Bay Area has 700,000 Germans is totally misleading wouldnt you say?

I think the best barometer is looking at the foreign born populations personally.

Quote:
plus they don't have the enclaves on even close of a level as even nyc by itself
But that's just it. This thread is not only about NYC.

NYC by itself has the majority of all minority and immigrant groups in the whole Tri State Area.

Meanwhile in the Bay Area, the overwhelming majority of all immigrant and minority groups live outside of SF, SJ and Oakland.

(NYC and a combined SF-O-SJ are about a third of the total population)

No one is denying NYCs diversity, but the Bay Area goes toe to toe with the Tri State Area and the stats totally confirm that.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 PM

On a side note, for all of y'all who haven't been to the bay but are interested in seeing what its like... Here's a decent thread to start.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...al-thread.html

I'm posting up a whole lot of Oakland pics on p. 3... I'm about to post some more lol

Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM

43 posts, read 81,850 times
all the nations that have major hubs in new york city.

puerto ricao , dominican republic , mexico , senegal(africa) , africa(western portion) , liberian , brazil , greek , columbia , equador , korea , china , polish , italian , irish , albanian , jamaican , polish , bengledash , pakistan , indian , guyana , african american , haitian , trinidadian , albanian , russian , ukranian , west indian(greneda, antigua , barbados , st lucia etc), jewish , phillipines , arabs(mainly egyptian/lebonese) , Yugoslavia , romanian

^^^quoted

yugoslavia? lol.... that doesnt exist anymore...

NYC A hub for filipinos? where they do that at?

referencing Poland twice?

west indian nations with a combined population of an L.A suburb?

NYC a hub for mexicans? once again where they do that at?

and you wonder why people think ny'ers are uncultured...

Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM

43 posts, read 81,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Segregation isn't always negative, sometimes it's cool to drive through a neighborhood thats specifically Chinese or Italian etc.
see thats the thing with you ny'ers...you look at stuff like that and think its "cool" ...to Californians diversity is a way of life...its just there. Same way you wouldnt care if SF has some small subway system...its nothing to you because NYC has such great public transport, youve grown up with that and would expect nothing less and dont make a big deal.

theres neighborhoods in the Bay where you can go blocks without seeing anything but Viets... or Mexicans...or filipinos...or chinese...or indian and guess what...no one cares, you wont see tourist pulling out cameras and saying "by gee golly a whole street filled with foreigners never seen that before"

Old 05-20-2010, 11:36 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaNightmare View Post
see thats the thing with you ny'ers...you look at stuff like that and think its "cool" ...to Californians diversity is a way of life...its just there. Same way you wouldnt care if SF has some small subway system...its nothing to you because NYC has such great public transport, youve grown up with that and would expect nothing less and dont make a big deal.

theres neighborhoods in the Bay where you can go blocks without seeing anything but Viets... or Mexicans...or filipinos...or chinese...or indian and guess what...no one cares, you wont see tourist pulling out cameras and saying "by gee golly a whole street filled with foreigners never seen that before"
Attitude notwithstanding(LOL),this is a very good point actually.

I was in Fremont a few months ago and for those of you who don't know, Fremont is about 40 miles SE of San Francisco-a typical upscale suburb (Pop 200,000)with beautiful homes, excellent schools(and I mean excellent), tree lined streets, perfectly maintained parks and public areas and very low crime.

I thought to myself, if this were anywhere else in America(except maybe Los Angeles), 40 miles from the city in perfect suburbia would be 90% WASP.

But instead, Fremont has no racial or ethnic majority, has a huge population of immigrants and is very diverse overall.

And most people don't even bat an eye at the fact that this is so atypical for America, even in 2010.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Attitude notwithstanding(LOL),this is a very good point actually.

I was in Fremont a few months ago and for those of you who don't know, Fremont is about 40 miles SE of San Francisco-a typical upscale suburb (Pop 200,000)with beautiful homes, excellent schools(and I mean excellent), tree lined streets, perfectly maintained parks and public areas and very low crime.

I thought to myself, if this were anywhere else in America(except maybe Los Angeles), 40 miles from the city in perfect suburbia would be 90% WASP.

But instead, Fremont has no racial or ethnic majority, has a huge population of immigrants and is very diverse overall.

And most people don't even bat an eye at the fact that this is so atypical for America, even in 2010.
The difference is, over here, places that are 40 miles away with such large populations are considered different cities/metros altogether.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaNightmare View Post
yugoslavia? lol.... that doesnt exist anymore...
the former yugoslavia. there are plenty of ppl here from the former yugoslavia; and you know what the guy meant.

Quote:
NYC A hub for filipinos? where they do that at?

referencing Poland twice?
this i don't know but i wouldn't doubt it. i already linked to a video of filipinos in nyc. look in the thread.

Quote:
west indian nations with a combined population of an L.A suburb?
i don't get your point here. please explain a little more..?

Quote:
NYC a hub for mexicans? once again where they do that at?
in ny. mexicans are a growing population here, as are central americans. let me tell you, you can't even go to a bodega where i live thats not owned by a mexican or central american. a few years ago and that would be unheard of.

ride the f train from 179th to about queensbridge. its full of central americans, mexicans, maybe some pakistani's/guyanese indians...and a handful of black ppl. the point is that most of the train cars are full of ppl that you doubt exist in nyc.

Quote:
and you wonder why people think ny'ers are uncultured...
don't comment on a place that you aren't familiar with.
its baffling and laughable when ppl say that nyers aren't cultured when we live in the most diverse city in the country and said ppl live in areas mostly black and white (without the ethnicities represented like we have here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City