Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times

Advertisements

So the obvious is Chicago is much bigger but since seeing photos of Kansas City on here I've been reading a bit about it. Finding they're quite similar in history, economies, and the architectural stylings. I went to find why Kansas City has developed to be as large a downtown area as it is to find that Kansas City has its own exchange which is the third largest after the NASDAQ and NYSE.

I'm wondering from people who have actually been there how it compares? Are these the only similarities or are there more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
I can't draw any similarities, but I can tell what's going to happen in this thread. Be prepared my friend. Very prepared.

Anyways, I did not know they had their own exchange either, but in most aspects, Kansas City is a boom town, and it deserves more recognition.

Good work with the thread.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Other than their railroad history (Chicago is still the number one freight rail hub, followed by KC), the KC Board of Trade (also second to Chicago) and the historic stockyards of both cities (both long gone now), they really have pretty much nothing in common today other than being in the midwest.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:52 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
Kansas City really has the 3rd largest stock exchange after NASDAQ and NYSE??? I REALLY have trouble finding that possible.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times
Yep those are the only similarities..

Old 05-19-2010, 03:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Kansas City really has the 3rd largest stock exchange after NASDAQ and NYSE??? I REALLY have trouble finding that possible.
I read the Economy part of the Kansas City wiki to try and figure out how a city that large existed where it did to find this:
bats exchange - Google Search

Had never even heard of it. Got me wondering what other similarities in had. Bats is obviously a much newer exchange, for those of you in Kansas City - do you think it will ever grow to become a global exchange and bring more Fortune 500's to KC?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:10 AM

404 posts, read 595,184 times
I didn't we we had the third largest stock exchange. Hoohah

Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 AM

867 posts, read 2,138,890 times
I say they are somewhat simaler i woulnd't say there is anything else that makes them THAT simaler you pretty much hit the nail on the head

Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Yeah you can't really compare the two.. I love KC... but Chicago is worlds apart really.

The only few things I can say are similiar, and they probably don't apply now in some aspects..

Similar archtecture, both have art deco buildings, though chicago has a lot more.

Mob history, with the KC Mafia having ties to Chicago as well as NY back in the days...

Both cities have top Art Institutes in the US...

Really though, I'm sure you could pull out 2 random cities from a hat and find similiarities, but it doesn't really make the cities similar... Chicago is an Alpha city... KC is awesome, but it's not on that level.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
I love KC. For a city of its population, KC has some very cool urban areas, like Wesport and CC Plaza. I like how KC isn't a flat city. It has some beautiful terrain. Chicago has the big city feel and more going on. KC is a big city, but Chicago is a world class top city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City