Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post
I would assume:

1. New York - because that's where many Europeans start their American experience
2. California - If illegal visits counted, this would probably be #1, but it does have a huge population and a lot to see
3. Florida - Beaches and Disney... 'nuf said
4. Texas - Similar to California but a few less people
5. Nevada - The strip is visited by so freaking many people!
6. Illinois - Chicago is pretty huge after all
7. Colorado - Maybe it's just me, but I know a lot of people who have been there
8. Massachusetts - Honestly, I'm surprised it's not in everyone's top 10
9. Hawaii - I wouldn't be surprised if you've seen more movies about going there than you even know people who have gone.
10. Pennsylvania - Philadelphia is huge and historic after all
I'd switch FLA and NY, FL always seems to switch between number 1 and number 2, but hardly ever number 3(every now and then). But I MIGHT put Cali at number 1.

1.Cali
2.Fla
3.NY
4.TX
5.NV
6.IL
7.HI
8.Mass
9.Penn
10.????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 12:46 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Florida, New York, and California is the triangle, either way you put em they should always be the top 3.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Most Visited US States by Foreign Travelers - Travelers Digest

^^ By Airport traffic, not overall tourists, just the airport arrivals.

LOL @ what the link has to say about Nevada.

And those of you who are underestimating North Carolina:
http://news.mync.com/site/news/story...isited-states/

Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 AM

^ Good to see New Jersey make the top 10 on that site . Ofcourse like I just said, Florida, New York, and California are always the top 3 no matter how you put em.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ Good to see New Jersey make the top 10 on that site . Ofcourse like I just said, Florida, New York, and California are always the top 3 no matter how you put em.
Yeah, that site is just airport traffic of foreign visitors. It doesn't mean jack when we're talking about regional tourists that these states get.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah, that site is just airport traffic of foreign visitors. It doesn't mean jack when we're talking about regional tourists that these states get.
Ah I see, you think regional tourists were differ much though?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Ah I see, you think regional tourists were differ much though?
Not really, if those are the ten states that get the most foreign visitors, then they'll also be the 10 states that appeal most to regional travelers too. I mean I do realize that if you live in like Washington, the drive to Oregon is hella better to visit than something like Wisconsin, those can be exceptions to the rule, but I think it'll stay pretty constant on those 10.

Now with regional visitors I do think some of those states will either move up the list or down. I know Texas, New Jersey, and Massachusetts will move up the list, and I know Illinois will either state constant or move up too (Chicago being the largest city in the Midwest).

But the first 3 states are a given, they can alternate in order but none of those 3 are dropping to 4th or anything.

And North Carolina would enter the list, and Guam isn't a state so it would be out of the list.

Hawaii would be going lower on the list for regional visitors.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Wow, NC is doing it big. I currently live here.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 AM

Look at the first link I posted three posts ago;

10. New Jersey (721,000 Arrivals)
New Jersey's ranking on this list is in most part due to the Newark International Airport, therefore not many stay long, however it's entirely possible that a few foreign tourists have mispronounced the word New York to a taxi driver & been taken to Newark.

^^^ ROFLMAO!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Not really, if those are the ten states that get the most foreign visitors, then they'll also be the 10 states that appeal most to regional travelers too. I mean I do realize that if you live in like Washington, the drive to Oregon is hella better to visit than something like Wisconsin, those can be exceptions to the rule, but I think it'll stay pretty constant on those 10.

Now with regional visitors I do think some of those states will either move up the list or down. I know Texas, New Jersey, and Massachusetts will move up the list, and I know Illinois will either state constant or move up too (Chicago being the largest city in the Midwest).

But the first 3 states are a given, they can alternate in order but none of those 3 are dropping to 4th or anything.

And North Carolina would enter the list, and Guam isn't a state so it would be out of the list.

Hawaii would be going lower on the list for regional visitors.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City