Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:47 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I think Detroiters sound more GA, Miss, AL mix while Chicago sound more Miss,Arkansas, AL mix because most of the people here come from those places. Well most ppl I know in Detroit parents and grandparents come from GA,Miss, and AL and most Chicago ppl Ive come across grandparents and parents came from Arkansas or Miss being the majority and the rest from AL. But yea we def have a little "southern twang" lol
Lol yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland (along with Milwaukee and Buffalo) all have a northern cities vowel shift accent that is typical of the Great Lakes region.

Northern cities vowel shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inland Northern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Having lived in Cleveland and now Chicago I can tell you the accents are similar, but there are some differences and I can tell them appart. I'm not even sure that I can explain how I can tell them apart, but I know it when I hear it. I think people from Cleveland talk faster and a bit sharper than people from Chicago for one thing.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
White people in Cleveland have the worst accents. I used to listen to Rover's Morning Glory which is based in Cleveland

YouTube - Rover's Morning Glory: Funny 911 Calls Part Two

It's just not pleasant to my ears.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
White people in Cleveland have the worst accents. I used to listen to Rover's Morning Glory which is based in Cleveland

It's just not pleasant to my ears.
Rover is actually from Chicago. But yeah, a lot of people around the Great Lakes have a nasal tone to their accent. I think it's actually the worst in Wisconsin and Michigan.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Rover is actually from Chicago. But yeah, a lot of people around the Great Lakes have a nasal tone to their accent. I think it's actually the worst in Wisconsin and Michigan.
Rover has the most tolerable accent of all the people on the show

Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Rover has the most tolerable accent of all the people on the show
It's not just Rover who is from Chicago, but I think half the other people are also from there. The woman sidekick on the show is definately from Chicago. I believe the meathead guy sidekick is from Cleveland though. Ironically that show was moved to Chicago for a while and failed, so back to Cleveland it went.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:27 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,635 times
I grew up about 50 miles west of downtown Cleveland....I can definitely notice a nasal component to my family's speech. Actually, the further north (closer to Lake Erie) you go, the more pronounced the nasal component becomes. There is a small but noticeable difference (to me, anyway) between Sandusky, Ohio and Willard, Ohio (the two cities are in neighboring counties, Sandusky being about 25 miles due north of Willard). As for that Northern Cities Shift thing, I think I am well wrapped up in that! LOL. For CANDY, I say "Key-andy" and whenever I say the name "Ann" it closely resembles the name "Ian."

----------

Living in 2 locations in northern Illinois for the past few years, I have noticed a few differences between my northern Ohio speech habits and those of the Chicago-to-Rockford area.

My best friend was born and raised in an inner-ring Chicago suburb (Summit, near Midway Airport) and pronounces Chicago as "Chi-caw-go," compared to my "Chi-cah-go." He pronounced sausage as "sahh-sij" compared to my "saw-sij;" pronounced strawberry as "straw-bee-ery" compared to my "straw-bear-ee." Whenever he is going to visit our friend Mary at her house, he is "going BY Mary's" compared to me "going OVER to Mary's."

----------

My mother was originally from Indiana (between Indy and Fort Wayne). Whenever I'm visitng relatives I can definitely tell the difference between their accents and my accent. Whereas I am in the Inland North speech region, they are in the Midland speech region. For example, the word ROCK for them is "Rawk" but I say "Rahhhk." MOM is "Mawm" but for me is "Mahhhm."

An interesting one for me is that my grandma (born in Chicago, but raised and lived her whole life in Indiana) calls a green bell pepper a "mango." I like that!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Here are some famous people from Cleveland and Chicago. Can you tell any difference in the way they talk? They all have their native accent.

Cleveland

YouTube - 02/19/10 - Tammy Pescatelli - THE BONNIE HUNT SHOW

YouTube - Monica Potter "The Last House on the Left" Video Interview

YouTube - Chef Michael Symon interviewed by CoolCleveland.com

Chicago

YouTube - Joan Cusack for Amazon

YouTube - Real World Hollywood - Joey

YouTube - Dennis Franz - Archive Interview Part 3 of 5

Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
I'm from Minneapolis and have been to Chicago and Detroit many-a-time and have not even noticed a difference.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
I moved from western Michigan to Minnesota and I definitely notice the difference between Michigan and MinnesOOOOdaaa speech. I never thought I had an accent, but after being up here for a while I can hear the Michigan accent - it's weird. Sounds almost Eastern/Southern to me, with wide "o's" and the "cot/caught" difference.

What I'm probably hearing is just the LACK of an MN accent, though. My friends from back home say I've picked up a thick MN accent - I can't hear it, but they give me grief for it all the time. For what it's worth, I took one of those accent quizzes a few days ago, and got 100% North Central or "Minnesota," so maybe I do have the MN accent now . . . . don'cha knooooooooow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City