Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah, i actually do think the same for Chicago.
If Houston and Miami are known city wise around the world, I don't see why Chicago is not.

I'm South Asian, and Chicago, along with San Francisco, Boston, NYC, and LA is probably one of the most known cities there, and has been before Obama. The people there, they don't even know what city Obama came from, they just know who he is and where he resides now; DC.
Yes, that proves my point perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:26 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Obama more famous than Chicago?

Even the Daleys don't fit that category.

Sure as heck Obama doesn't either.

If his popularity continues to drop, " infamous" ,might be a more appropriate adjective.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Oak Park -vs- Frank Lloyd Wright is the only one that really comes to my mind. And thats only because its a suburb of Chicago so most people think Chicago not Oak Park.

It would go something like:
Chicago -> Frank Lloyd Wright -> Oak Park

Old 05-22-2010, 05:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Yes, that proves my point perfectly.
Lol, I don't follow how that makes him more famous than Chicago?

Maybe it's because I'm not understanding what you're trying to say exactly.

Like say hypothetically he was from Rockford, then all of a sudden people acorss the world would probably hear of Rockford for the first time in their lives as being the home of Obama.

But like what I mean is that, Chicago has been a famous city since before Obama, and I wouldn't say either the city nor Obama are more famous than each other.

The same thing about Bill Gates and Seattle.

The man is famous world wide, but very few can relate to where he actually lives, but many of those would know Seattle as a beautiful city itself without ever having thought about Bill Gates living there.

I don't think we're on the same page, neither of us are wrong or right, we're just not understanding one another.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Oak Park -vs- Frank Lloyd Wright is the only one that really comes to my mind. And thats only because its a suburb of Chicago so most people think Chicago not Oak Park.

It would go something like:
Chicago -> Frank Lloyd Wright -> Oak Park
Yeah, I didn't even think about FLW. I guess Antoine Predock in Albuquerque or Frank Gehry in Santa Monica might be two other good examples.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Although both of these artist are deceased:

Donald Judd- Marfa, Texas
Jackson Pollack- Cody Wyoming

I dont know who these are?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
A vast majority of the world's population probably knows who Barack Obama is. Do you think its the same for Chicago? I highly doubt it.

Good examples, but like the other poster said I want to limit it to bigger cities to make the comparison more interesting.

So would that be the same for any president?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So would that be the same for any president?
Probably unless they are from New York, Los Angeles, or Washington DC. Those cities, I think, are as or more famous than whoever the president is at any given time.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Probably unless they are from New York, Los Angeles, or Washington DC. Those cities, I think, are as or more famous than whoever the president is at any given time.

I am not sure - Jimmy Carter isn't more famous than Atlanta - even with all his national and international work

The Bush's more famous than Houston or Dallas - not sure really i would agree

Clinton maybe moreso than Little Rock but it isn't a large city plus he lives in NY now

Old 05-22-2010, 06:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am not sure - Jimmy Carter isn't more famous than Atlanta - even with all his national and international work

The Bush's more famous than Houston or Dallas - not sure really i would agree
Yeah I agree with Kidphilly, Barack is famous, but not more than the city he came from or where he was born (Hawaii).

You might not see that now (I still don't see it right now), but you'll see that after he's out of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City