Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:50 PM

26 posts, read 69,532 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna say that Orville and Wilbur Wright are more famous than they city where they were born and raised, Dayton, Ohio.

If you don't know who they are your stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
ELVIS (memphis)
SINATRA (hoboken)
MICHAEL (gary)
That's a darn good list. ESPECIALLY Sinatra and Hoboken, and Michael and Gary.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:01 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Yeah, a lot of people not from the Tri-State area never even heard of Hoboken, NJ. Let alone knowing that thats Frank Sinatra's hometown.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:02 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
In your world maybe.
In fairness I was trying to get into the spirit of what they were saying and I actually somewhat agree with you. I think many of these cities are well-known for many things, or many people, not just one celebrity. For example Malcolm X I believe was from Omaha, but most have agreed Omaha is only known for Warren Buffet. There's a focus on living people in "cities", not towns, and to a degree I tried to satisfy that.

On my own I might be tempted to limit more to small towns or micropolitan areas that produced someone very famous. In the post above that one I listed Sissy Spacek and Quitman, Texas and Dick Armey with Cando, North Dakota. Now I think/trust you will agree Sissy Spacek is better known to America than Quitman, Texas even if it turns out you live in Quitman, Texas.

However of the ones in the post you responded to I do think Toni Morrison is more famous than Lorain, Ohio. I'm not badmouthing Lorain in saying that, I'm just saying it's not big in the public consciousness. Toni Morrison might be unknown to you, but as she was popular with Oprah and won a Nobel she is/was a big figure. So that one I'll defend. Also I'd defend Steinbeck being better known than Salinas. I'm not saying people have never heard of Salinas, but Steinbeck is a really big name whose books are in college and even high school courses.

Still as I said I personally would agree toward limiting this to small cities and micropolitan areas. (Areas where the core city is under 50,000) In that spirit....

General Omar Bradley was born in Clark, Missouri (around 300 people) and raised in the micropolis of Moberly, Missouri. Both of these are in Randolph County, Missouri which is county that has a population of about 26,000.

Glen Campbell came from what's jokingly called a "suburb" of Delight, Arkansas. Delight has around 300 people and the county it's in has around 11,000.

John Glenn was raised in New Concord, Ohio which has around 2,000 people.

B. B. King is from a town near Indianola, Mississippi. He left the Indianola area at 18, but I think being a Mississippi blues man is part of his image. Indianola has about 12,000 people. (Actress Mary Alice is also from Indianola, but it less known than B. B. King)

Cheryl Ladd is from Huron, South Dakota which has around eleven or twelve thousand people.

Loretta Lynn came from a coal town in Kentucky of around 2,000.

Reba McEntire is from Kiowa, Oklahoma which has a population of less than 700. She went to college in Durant, which has around 16,000.

Joseph Smith Jr., founder of Mormonism, came from Sharon, Vermont and apparently spent the rest of his childhood in Palmyra, New York. Neither town has over 4,000.

Hopefully I have the facts right on these. I'm going by Wikipedia and usually I double-check with elsewhere as I don't trust it. (I'm a Wikipedian)

Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Emeril is MUCH more famous than his hometown of Fall River, MA (a city of nearly 100,000).

I'd say Dr. Suess is more famous than his hometown (Springfield, MA)

I think the Kennedy family is more well known than their place of residence, Hyannisport MA.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM

15 posts, read 32,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
When I think of Obama, I think of DC. Lol.

When I think of Chicago, the first four things that come to mind are;

- Pizza
- O'Hare International
- Downtown
- And this; http://i.eimg.com.tw/d/alb/47/66847.300.jpg?ver=0
^^ The picture is not mine, so I can't post it like that.

I'll post one for you that IS mine. Mods don't freak out, I took this with my own hands.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs102.snc1/4555_619032936431_56000713_36355114_6130519_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Many US Presidents hailed from relatively small towns.

Chester A. Arthur was raised in towns of under 10,000. (Fairfield, Vermont and Perry, New York)

Calvin Coolidge was from Plymouth, Vermont which has a population of around 555.

As mentioned Eisenhower grew up in Abilene, Kansas.

LBJ came from Stonewall, Texas which has a population under 500 by the looks of it.

Ronald Reagan largely grew up in Dixon, Illinois which has a population around 16,000.

Clinton and Hope or Hot Springs, although Hot Springs isn't that small by Arkansas standards.

Obama is generally seen as one of the more "big city" Presidents, who therefore doesn't overshadow his town even if we mean Honolulu, although he's certainly not the only one. (Teddy Roosevelt, Taft, etc came from political dynasties significant to some cities)

Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Eminem - St. Joseph, MO & Warren, MI (suburb of Detroit)

Old 12-20-2021, 03:54 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Eminem - St. Joseph, MO & Warren, MI (suburb of Detroit)
Oh wow, Eminem briefly lived in Saint Joseph, MO for a brief while? I never knew that, that's news to me if true. I knew he grew up in Detroit, but had no idea he also briefly lived in St. Joseph.

The author of many various thriller books(a lot that were later turned into movies, i.e. Thinner, and so many others), Stephen King, was born and grew up in Portland, ME. I have no doubt Stephen King is more famous, than that easterly Portland is to most people.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
My little town of Lebanon Ohio has quite a few famous people. Neil Armstrong had a dairy farm just outside of town for 25 years and I went to school with Woody Harrelson and Marty Roe of Diamond Rio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City