Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:19 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times

Advertisements

What big cities can you think of are less well-known throughout the world than some of their residents?

For example, Muhammad Ali is probably a lot more famous than the city he lived in, Louisville, KY.

Do you think Bill Gates is more famous than Seattle? What about Barack Obama and Chicago/Honolulu?

Give some more examples!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
ELVIS (memphis)
SINATRA (hoboken)
MICHAEL (gary)

Old 05-22-2010, 04:24 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
What big cities can you think of are less well-known throughout the world than some of their residents?

For example, Muhammad Ali is probably a lot more famous than the city he lived in, Louisville, KY.

Do you think Bill Gates is more famous than Seattle? What about Barack Obama and Chicago/Honolulu?

Give some more examples!
HECK NO!! It's been America's 2nd city a century and a half before Barack was even born. That's the most ridiculous thing I have read all day, LOL!.

That's like saying Jay-Z or Guliani are more famous than NYC... which is not true.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:

Give some more examples!

I also think there are some people that have association with an area not necesarily more famous

to me
Gates/Seattle
Trump/NYC
Ben Franklin/Philadelphia

etc.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Although both of these artist are deceased:

Donald Judd- Marfa, Texas
Jackson Pollack- Cody Wyoming

there's also Clint Eastwood who lives in Carmel, CA. He was actually the mayor of the town for a while.

Also, a lot of writers live/lived in small towns. Steven King and William Faulkner are the first two that come to mind. There are A LOT of famous writers and artist that chose to live in small towns as apposed to moving to New York or some other big city. So just dealing with those two categories, come up with quite a few names.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Well, yeah it's easy to throw out all famous people who were born in small cities...

I could be like this guy ^ and say Bob Dylan and Duluth.

For ever Prince was > than MPLS, but I'd say with Prince dying out and MPLS getting better, that's gone away.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:02 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Warren Buffett - Omaha

Old 05-22-2010, 05:02 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Well, yeah it's easy to throw out all famous people who were born in small cities...

I could be like this guy ^ and say Bob Dylan and Duluth.

For ever Prince was > than MPLS, but I'd say with Prince dying out and MPLS getting better, that's gone away.
Yeah but Bob Dylan didn't live in Duluth after he got famous. Jackson Pollack, Donald Judd, Clint Eastwood, Seven King, and William Faulkner all live/lived in these small towns at some point during the height of their careers.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
HECK NO!! It's been America's 2nd city a century and a half before Barack was even born. That's the most ridiculous thing I have read all day, LOL!.

That's like saying Jay-Z or Guliani are more famous than NYC... which is not true.
A vast majority of the world's population probably knows who Barack Obama is. Do you think its the same for Chicago? I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Although both of these artist are deceased:

Donald Judd- Marfa, Texas
Jackson Pollack- Cody Wyoming

there's also Clint Eastwood who lives in Carmel, CA. He was actually the mayor of the town for a while.

Also, a lot of writers live/lived in small towns. Steven King and William Faulkner are the first two that come to mind. There are A LOT of famous writers and artist that chose to live in small towns as apposed to moving to New York or some other big city. So just dealing with those two categories, come up with quite a few names.
Good examples, but like the other poster said I want to limit it to bigger cities to make the comparison more interesting.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
A vast majority of the world's population probably knows who Barack Obama is. Do you think its the same for Chicago? I highly doubt it.
Yeah, i actually do think the same for Chicago.
If Houston and Miami are known city wise around the world, I don't see why Chicago is not.

I'm South Asian, and Chicago, along with San Francisco, Boston, NYC, and LA is probably one of the most known cities there, and has been before Obama. The people there, they don't even know what city Obama came from, they just know who he is and where he resides now; DC.

A city that's hosted the World Fair decades before Obama was even known, a city that gave the world the skyscraper, and is known as being one of the tallest, a city that's got so many large companies, a city known for it's airport, a city known for it's cosmopolitan atmosphere. And you're saying Barack Obama is more famous than it? That's ridiculous, O'Hare Airport I can understand, but Obama??!?!?! The guy who gained almost all his media attention in his life some 2-3 years ago?!!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City