Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better sports?
Chicago,IL 48 45.28%
Boston,MA 58 54.72%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM

42 posts, read 34,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah I can actually agree with that. But watching them is pretty cool nonetheless. I'd still take the Red Sox and Astros before Cubs and White Sox anyday, IMHO.
You realize though that "coolness" is hardly an objective factor? Nobody gets medals in the Olympics for "coolness" but for results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra02 View Post
You realize though that "coolness" is hardly an objective factor?
Everybody considers watching his hometeam play "cool" and arguing "coolness" of one team versu another is pointless.
Nobody gets medals in the Olympics for "coolness" but for results.
No, but it just adds to the excitement of watching.

I'm for the Lakers, if they lose, I'm fine with that, because they'll actually deliver a good round to watch.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM

42 posts, read 34,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
No, but it just adds to the excitement of watching.
What adds to the excitement of watching?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
What adds to the excitement of watching?
The better question for you to have asked would have been, "what adds to your excitement in watching these teams knowing the possibility that your team might lose?"

The answer is: The thrill you get to see a good game, and knowing what's to expect. I expect no less from Los Angeles this year, they're going to give it a good run, and might possibly win.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
As a city I like Chicago far and away more than I do Boston, as an AA male I was actually bored out of my mind in Boston. But with that said this poll shouldnt even be close, Boston is hands down the best sports city in the country. Aside from the Blackhawks being in the NHL Finals right now, Chicago teams haven't really done anything of note recently. Boston teams on the other hand pretty much dominated the 2000's- Pats, C's, Red Sox, I even think the Bruins won a title one of those years in there. Much respect to Boston with their sports teams....

Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Fortunately in professional sports we have scores and statistics so it's very easy to prove which team has a better record. All hoopla about history and fans and experience aside (any city can claim it) track record describes the quality of the team.

You maybe a devout Cubs fan but even you have to admit that their track record is pathetic. Not a WS in over 100 years? Bears w/o superbowl title in 25 years? The Bulls that are just a shadow of their former glory? White Sox with measely three WS titles? Red Sox alone won more WS titles than both Chicago teams combined. Even as a Yankee fan I HAVE to admit they are a great and capable team... Besides all the hoopla there is no Chicago sport teams can match Boston sport teams and both cities have devoted fans...

PS. One thing I can't understand is how can Chicago have such a terrible sport teams and then claim being a great sports city?
It sounds like a dellusion.
dementor, go away.

Quote:
You realize though that "coolness" is hardly an objective factor? Nobody gets medals in the Olympics for "coolness" but for results.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:17 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Umm...I guess. Well then I guess we mop the floor because even though Milwaukee is closer, we've got New York City & Philadelphia down the road...sliiiggggghhhtttllyyyy better sports cities than Milwaukee.
Boston is a little more than 200 miles from New York and about 300 miles from Philadelphia. (I'm not sure how far Boston is from Montreal without looking it up.) Chicago is less than 100 miles from Milwaukee, a little less than 200 miles from Indianapolis, and about 300 miles from Detroit, St. Louis, and Cincinnati.

If you want to talk about close East Coast cities, throw Boston out of the mix and just talk about New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington.

P.S. I grew up about 70 miles from Philadelphia and 85 miles from New York and had access to TV stations from both places. Now THAT is living close to multiple sports cities.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The United Center is not particularly convenient to get to from any of the CTA lines (specifically the Green, Blue, or Pink Lines).
uhhh green line ashland or pink line? yeh it isn't like the cubs red line but it isn't that bad, best route is the madison 20.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:07 PM

116 posts, read 364,756 times
Red Sox Nation: Established 2004 (just sayin)

Chicago sports > Boston sports

Greatest team in NFL history (85 bears)
Greatest team in NBA history (96/97 Bulls)
Bears have more history/are a more storied team than the Pats
Cubs>RedSox
Blackhawks own the Bruins

I'm bias though but then again this is an opinionated question like 90% of the topics on this forum

In any case Chicago and Boston are the greatest sports cities in the U.S

Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
Red Sox Nation: Established 2004 (just sayin)

Chicago sports > Boston sports

Greatest team in NFL history (85 bears)
The 1972 Dolphins may have something to say about that. But the Bears are definitely right there.

Quote:
Greatest team in NBA history (96/97 Bulls)
The greatest season in NBA history...but overall the Celtics wollop the Bulls on all counts. More championships? Boston by far. Better players? Boston by far. One team and one player don't make the Bulls anywhere near the Celtics.

Quote:
Bears have more history/are a more storied team than the Pats
I'll give you that. The Pats have more Super Bowls than the Bears, but I'm not going to nitpick and not count Championships before the AFL/NFL merger. Though recently the Pats are obviously much better than the Bears.

Quote:
Cubs>RedSox
In what way? At sucking? Don't get me wrong, I like the Cubs...but in what way are they a better team than the Red Sox?

Quote:
Blackhawks own the Bruins
Do they?

Stanley Cups:
Chicago: 3
Boston: 5

Conference Championships:
Chicago: 2
Boston: 2

Division Championships:
Chicago: 14
Boston: 21

Quote:
I'm bias though
No kidding!

Quote:
In any case Chicago and Boston are the greatest sports cities in the U.S
I'll agree with that, along with Philadelphia and New York...and probably Pittsburgh too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City