Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland or Houston?
Portland 15 45.45%
Houston 18 54.55%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaAndOranges View Post
I'm not hurt about the results, at all. It's just not even close to realistic regarding real world opinions. Sorry. Houston has never ranked as a more desirable place to live than Portland -- ever. Other cities have, yes, but not Houston.
I would say since nearly 3 times as many people choose to call the Houston area home, then it obviously must be the more desirable city to live in. Personally, I would choose Portland, but Houston has a lot going for it, especially in the area of job creation and economic opportunities.

I know a lot of people from Miami, Atlanta, and Dallas aren't going to like to hear this, but Houston has nearly succeeded in becoming the South's premier city. Largest GDP, most diverse, fastest growing, most Fortune 500 companies, etc.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Texans are unrealistic about their state and their cities. In these threads it is constantly Texans talking about how amazing their cities are at everything, and that is just not the case. I mean really, look at the Chinatown thread. Houston's Chinatown is pathetic, and yet Texans cannot admit it. They are in there saying it is one of their favorite Chinatowns.
The video was incorrect, but Houston still has a very substantial Asian population. More than Portland, that's for sure.

Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008
Asian—112,967 or 5.2% of metro

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008
Asian—319,945 or 5.7% of metro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:44 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,824 times
I voted for Houston.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
WARNING: Stick to the topic please, folks. And don't post trolling posts that are meant to purposely start a fight on here about either city.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Precipitation in inches
Houston—53.96
Portland—37.07

Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
I've been to Houston, and maybe it's green in comparison with Phoenix, or Baghdad, but having grown up in Portland I find it laughable that anyone would ever consider Houston green.
Nobody is comparing the greenery between Houston and Portland. The post was to inform that person that Houston was indeed green and it indeed has trees. Many trees. Houston lies in a Forest in the Northern part of the city and metro. One of it's suburbs is called the Woodlands for a reason. Whether you'd like to admit it or not, Houston is a green city.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
I'm South Asian, one would think that I'm crazy to say this, Hillcroft (South Asian enclave) is pretty nice, better than most that I've seen across the country. It can give Devon Avenue a hard time in certain things.

First I'm a Chicagoan and South Asian, if I can find Houston to my liking (which I do) then I don't see why locals would have a problem.

Just my $.02 on this.

I've always had a saying, there really is no inferior city or superior city, some cities have more to one thing than the other, but every city is a winner, it just depends who you ask.

To you, Portland is a great city, and you call it home. To me Chicago and Houston are great cities, and I call it home.

By the way, the Chinese people in our city love the two Chinatowns that we have just fine. And that's whats important, not the looks, but the quality.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM

145 posts, read 687,518 times
been to both and i must say Portland was way funner. always something to entertain you and very weird you could say but in a good way. when i was in Houston i feel like im in more of a city like businessy and stuff. both are great cities though :]. the Houston video was too long for me to keep interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City