Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Fun?
Little Rock 19 40.43%
Baton Rouge 24 51.06%
Jackson,Ms 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:55 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,374,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Little Rock is not southeastern. Neither is Jackson. The southeast ends somewhere west of Nashville and Brmingham, probably midway to Memphis in Tennessee and closer to the Mississippi-Alabama border...

Little Rock is Southern, part of the American South. It isn't South-"eastern"...
I can see the argument made for Little Rock....but Jackson?? If it's not Southeastern, what is it? There's arguably more difference between Birmingham and Nashville than there is between Birmingham and Jackson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 AM

37,924 posts, read 42,168,320 times
Quote:
Little Rock is not southeastern. Neither is Jackson. The southeast ends somewhere west of Nashville and Brmingham, probably midway to Memphis in Tennessee and closer to the Mississippi-Alabama border...

Little Rock is Southern, part of the American South. It isn't South-"eastern"...
Jackson is in the Southeast. Genereally speaking, the Southeast is the part of the South that's east of the Mississippi River.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:35 AM

5,905 posts, read 5,698,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I can see the argument made for Little Rock....but Jackson?? If it's not Southeastern, what is it? There's arguably more difference between Birmingham and Nashville than there is between Birmingham and Jackson.
Mid-South/South Central.....

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,374,928 times
Quote:
Mid-South/South Central.....
Would both of those definitions not include Nashville and Birmingham? I feel like you're trying to split hairs and make a new definition. Most people would agree the Southeast extends from the Atlantic Coast to the Mississippi River. It's more of an umbrella term than Mid South or Deep South.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:42 AM

650 posts, read 871,948 times
I've been to all three.

I prefer Baton Rouge. It's a nice place.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 AM

544 posts, read 831,354 times
I have never been to Baton Rouge, but I could imagine that having lsu there could make a difference. I like college towns, so if Baton Rouge has a neighborhood that's sort of like Berkeley and if the city is fairly liberal and diverse I could see myself going for it. The university in Little Rock is small and doesn't have a campus atmosphere or a neighborhood around it that has a college town vibe.

But overall I don't find the thought of Louisiana very appealing.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 PM

16,514 posts, read 26,422,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Would both of those definitions not include Nashville and Birmingham? I feel like you're trying to split hairs and make a new definition. Most people would agree the Southeast extends from the Atlantic Coast to the Mississippi River. It's more of an umbrella term than Mid South or Deep South.
This is exactly how I feel.
"South Central" is splitting hairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
I have never been to Baton Rouge, but I could imagine that having lsu there could make a difference. I like college towns, so if Baton Rouge has a neighborhood that's sort of like Berkeley and if the city is fairly liberal and diverse I could see myself going for it. The university in Little Rock is small and doesn't have a campus atmosphere or a neighborhood around it that has a college town vibe.

But overall I don't find the thought of Louisiana very appealing.
LSU does make a difference. Large part of the economy and social life. I've never been to the Bay but I'm sure there's not a neighborhood that can compete with one of the better urban neighborhoods/cities in the country. There are really nice urban neighborhoods around though. The Garden District, The Overpass, Northgates, Southgates, Spanish Towne, Beauregard Town, and Capital Heights would work, although you can't really live a car free lifestyle unless you live downtown or work within biking distance from work. There are many other urban neighborhoods, but they are in the hood. Old South Baton Rouge and a couple others are gentrifying.
The city of Baton Rouge is blue but not liberal. LSU campus and the surrounding areas will be fairly liberal compared to the metro. But that's a given, it's our flagship campus at 31k students. Some of the people in these neighborhoods are socially liberal and vote Republican. Many will push for bike lanes and cafe's and they just rallied together to approve a beer garden in Mid-City. But don't expect Berkeley, Austin, or New Orleans as far as politics.

You probably wouldn't like it right now, but in 10 years, it will be a whole different city.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:41 AM

875 posts, read 1,665,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
High rural black populations generally mean former slave, southern state. That makes sense to me.

But this is why the MS river as a border makes no sense to me: I understand the SE as the American South. In my mind, there's the southeast, northeast, west, and midwest; every other designation is secondary.

I don't notice any significant change of culture, topography, accents, etc between say, Jackson and Tyler.
Nah im not buying it, because LA, TX, OK, AK are not SE geographically. Furthermore, I have never herd this terminology before.

Slavery in another "given" of the South. 15 minutes from where I grew up was a civil war battle..
Also, I lived in East Texas for a while (undergrad) and it is not similar to Jackson in regards to culture, topography, accents, etc..I didn't get that living in East Texas.

And if you want to use "race", if you look at it Tyler is barely 22% black, hell they may have a higher Hispanic population now. (last I checked)...

Is Tyler similar Birmingham, Knoxville or Columbus, GA? Maybe it is…but IMO its not...

Quote:
Again, the gulf coast (secondary) is part of the SE to me.

The South Central designation is very weird to me. In my previous post I said that the SE is a geographical region, but it has similar cultural, political, or demographic make up throughout. There are extremes like Miami and New Orleans but for the most part, Meridian is similar in culture, politics, and demographics as Knoxville, same with Shreveport and Tallahassee, or Texarkana and Augusta.
The south central includes west and north Texas and Oklahoma which have very little in common with Louisiana or southern or eastern Arkansas. West Texas belongs to the west in my opinion.
Its not weird to me, it makes perfect sense. Everything West of the Mississippi is not the SE, even geographically its not SE..they may have "similarities" just like all southern cities, but they are not the same.

Quote:
That's the extreme. Go to Lakeland and it matches up better.
Yes but the Tampa Bay area is considered Central Florida, not South Florida.

Quote:
I'd call the Gulf Coast a subregion of the south.

I have to explain myself again right here, when I think of the gulf coast, or gulf south, I tend to only think about the area from Houston to the panhandle. I don't know why I do that.

But from this area I mentioned, it's similar in culture, industry, politics, and demographics. Cajun culture influences Beaumont/Port Arthur, fishing and oil and gas is a large part of the economy in the area. East of New Orleans has a more creole influence, which is similar to Cajun culture in some aspects, especially if you're not from Louisiana. Catholics are prevalent in Mobile, fishing is still huge, and there's a creole population still there. The panhandle are mostly Saints fans so there's that. Most white, and I don't think Catholics are as big of the population as the Mobile area.
I mentioned Mobile and Gulport in my previous post. Also as a Cajun, the culture is more prevalent going West of the Mississippi compared to going East of the Mississippi. So now you are going to tell me Gulfport & Mobile has more Cajun influence than Lake Charles or Lafayette. OK...

The areas have similarities but they are not the same...

Quote:
What change?
Little Rock reminds me more of Mississippi than say, any part of Oklahoma.
I never said that Little Rock was similar to Oklahoma, now I did say that the state of Arkansas may have more in common to Oklahoma than Mississippi..

Quote:
French history floated up the river to Minneapolis too. I know that natives were all over this continent. I just thought I'd throw it out there.
LOL I'm well aware the French influence goes way up there too (Louisiana Purchase), but the reason i mentioned this was because the heavy French influence in this region is not as prevalent as it is across the Mississippi that's what I was getting at.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:29 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,852,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post

I never said that Little Rock was similar to Oklahoma, now I did say that the state of Arkansas may have more in common to Oklahoma than Mississippi..
The Fort Smith area of Arkansas is the only part of the state that is very culturally tied with Oklahoma. Northwest Arkansas is more like southern Missouri. Central and eastern Arkansas is part of the Mississippi Delta region which has closer ties to the deep South.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:19 PM

875 posts, read 1,665,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Fort Smith area of Arkansas is the only part of the state that is very culturally tied with Oklahoma. Northwest Arkansas is more like southern Missouri. Central and eastern Arkansas is part of the Mississippi Delta region which has closer ties to the deep South.
Okay. I can see this, but I didn't get that when I was there. Ive spent time in the Delta and its not similar to that region but to each is own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City