Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Are we talking about fashion or art (as in art museums, etc.)? If we're talking about art museums, then Houston is WAY ahead of Austin and I'd put it ahead of Miami. Look up the Houston Museum District. The Houston Theater District is separate and in Downtown (second to NYC in theater seats in a DT area).

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. San Francisco
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Cleveland
10. Minneapolis
We're not talking about Fashion or Art we are talking about all Fine Art which includes Print Making which is largely associated with Fashion Design and Graphic Design. Houston has great museums as does Washington but neither one has really paved any art movements or led the way in any of the main categories. Nor do either have any major schools for Fine Art.

As for Austin one of the biggest reasons is because of the Texas Rangers. That is the only real important thing in fine arts to come out of Texas. A lot of the other art that has come out of Texas are from rural areas like Marfa, TX. I'm not saying these places should be on the list just responding to why I said if Austin were in the Houston Metro I would put it much higher. There very could be movements in Houston but I am not familiar with any.

If you are not familiar the Texas Rangers redeveloped modern schools of architecture and as a result played an integral role in the architecture we all have. One of the key members John Hedjuk went on to also be in the New York Five and Dean of Cooper Union School of Architecture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Rangers_(architects)

I do agree San Francisco is great and at this point we are also nitpicking. But lots of lists don't even have Miami on it and that is simply amazing to me.

"This is the time for drawing angels" - John Hedjuk from the book Sanctuaries

Last edited by EndersDrift; 05-27-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 AM

902 posts, read 2,787,526 times
I don't know what the order should be, but the Top 4 is pretty clear imo with NYC, D.C., Boston, and Philadelphia. CHI, LA, and SF should all closely follow.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Fine Art is most commonly defined as: painting, sculpture, installation, Calligraphy, music, dance, theatre, architecture, photography and printmaking.

To not include Miami above most of those listed is nonsense. The location of the art deco movement, home of arguably the best school of Jazz in the country (#2 according to rankings), best Latin music in the country, both major universities have modern dance and the Cesar Pelli theater hosts some of the nation's top rated dance and opera and is the second largest performing arts center in the Nation after the Lincoln Center, Florida film festival started in Orlando but has a strong presence now in Miami, Latin American Film festival takes place, graphic design and print making is huge in Miami especially when you consider the fashion industry, the Miami Art Museum is a great museum and is currently getting a new building by Herzog and DeMeuron one of the world's top architects (they've already done one building in Miami), Wolfsonian Museum, Wynwood Art District, Fashion Week, Winter Music Festival, Design and Architecture Senior High aka DASH (an art magnet high school rated the 15th best high school in the nation)

I'm not saying Miami should be top of the list but there's no way it can be ignored on this list. I don't know where exactly I'd put it but probably in the #6 spot bumping everything down and Cleveland off. While there are some better museums Miami is arguably one of the most influential cities for fine art and I think that makes it a tad higher than those others.

Oh I was referring to the list right above this one so:
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Miami
7. San Francisco
8. Minneapolis
9. Houston
10. Philadelphia
I agree, Miami should be up there, it gets slept on a lot. Don't forget about Art Basel Miami Beach, Holocaust Memorial Miami Beach, Miami Beach Botanical Garden etc.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Oh wow I can't believe I forgot Art Basel. Good call.

I didn't think the others were necessary especially the Botanical Gardens or Fairchild which isn't really Fine Art. Holocaust Memorial is nice but again I didn't think it was significant enough to mention.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:31 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Oh wow I can't believe I forgot Art Basel. Good call.

I didn't think the others were necessary especially the Botanical Gardens or Fairchild which isn't really Fine Art. Holocaust Memorial is nice but again I didn't think it was significant enough to mention.
I see what you mean lol but yeah Art Basel is definitely up there.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM

192 posts, read 504,858 times
Quote:
As for Austin one of the biggest reasons is because of the Texas Rangers. That is the only real important thing in fine arts to come out of Texas. A lot of the other art that has come out of Texas are from rural areas like Marfa, TX. I'm not saying these places should be on the list just responding to why I said if Austin were in the Houston Metro I would put it much higher. There very could be movements in Houston but I am not familiar with any.
Houston, as urban as it is, has a bit of an underground, industrial, minimalist art subculture. But I would say the style is limited to independent non-profit art organizations like DiverseWorks, Barnevelder, Aurora Picture Show, FotoFest, and the like. Regarding established theater & museum institutions, Houston has a pretty thorough selection with a ballet, symphony, theater co, and opera. The museums are good, with the MFAH having acquired a rather large endowment.

I would say the most notable museum, however, is one of our smallest - The Menil Collection. It's probably a testament to Houston's eclectic/urban style, but it houses some of the more famous modern European works of art (which probably should be kept in MoMA if it weren't kept here). Rothko chapel is nearby, again highlighting the "abstract expressionist" style often found around the city. Coming from the same modernist ideals, Philip Johnson designed a number of the city's prominent buildings. I like it, to say the least.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
Houston, as urban as it is, has a bit of an underground, industrial, minimalist art subculture. But I would say the style is limited to independent non-profit art organizations like DiverseWorks, Barnevelder, Aurora Picture Show, FotoFest, and the like. Regarding established theater & museum institutions, Houston has a pretty thorough selection with a ballet, symphony, theater co, and opera. The museums are good, with the MFAH having acquired a rather large endowment.

I would say the most notable museum, however, is one of our smallest - The Menil Collection. It's probably a testament to Houston's eclectic/urban style, but it houses some of the more famous modern European works of art (which probably should be kept in MoMA if it weren't kept here). Rothko chapel is nearby, again highlighting the "abstract expressionist" style often found around the city. Coming from the same modernist ideals, Philip Johnson designed a number of the city's prominent buildings. I like it, to say the least.
I completely agree. Houston as a very modern, minimalist art scene. I LOVE the Menil and Rothko Chapel. I just like walking around the outside of The Menil...so soothing. Houston's art scene is indeed a mixture of abstract, industrial and modern.

As far as dancing, the Houston ballet is currently building a new practice space. It's supposed to be pretty nice and the practice studios will have at least one wall of windows so at night, you can see people practicing...pretty neat!

Houston Ballet breaks ground on new downtown home | Lifestyle/Features | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 05-28-2010, 12:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
I got to say overall I agree with most of the list out there.But No way Seattle should be in a top 10 over San Fran.Maybe Houston or Miami.But not to mention Atlanta.According to Art Schools (By Monster) the top U.S. cities for the art schools are ranked:
New York City
1)Los Angeles
2)Chicago
3)Atlanta
4)Boston
5)Houston
6)Miami
7)Philadelphia
All of the schools in these cities have their own acting troops,dancers,choral ,bands,etc.....

I know that Atlanta has the best Natural History museum south of D.C.(The FernbankFernbank Museum of Natural History - Atlanta, GA
The Michael C.Carlos Museum is one of the best antiquties museum in the U.S.Definately in the Southeast:Michael C. Carlos Museum
The building was designed by Michael Graves.

That brings me to my next point.Atlanta definitely ranks up there architecturally.Not just in its skyscrapers but also the homes and public buildings

Atlanta classical arts are currently adequate at best overall.Houston has that advantage.But Atlanta is not the worse by far either.

Atlanta definitely should not be over looked with over a hundred galleries

Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 AM

I considered adding Atlanta as well but I don't know enough about its art scene to speak on it.

I do completely question Atlanta being in #3 in Art Schools though, you say its from Monster? What criteria and do you have a link for it?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
1. New York City
2. Washington, D.C.
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. Cleveland
7. Los Angeles
8. San Francisco
9. Houston
10. Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City