Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times

Advertisements

Someone asked how the list would change with MSA's, and someone else suggested using MSA's of at least 100,000. Well, as it happens, there are 342 MSA's with populations over 100,000. I'd be interested to see the list that utilized all that too, but it's a bit much at the moment. So, I took just the first 100, with the lowest population turning out to be roughly 500,000.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I did was count up each MSA by state and, remember some MSA's cover multiple states, and tallied up how many of the first 100 fall into each state. This is what I came up with.

California: 10
Florida: 8
Pennsylvania: 7
Ohio: 7
New York: 6
Texas: 6
South Carolina: 5
Massachusetts: 4
Indiana: 4
Wisconsin: 4
North Carolina: 4
Tennessee: 4
Georgia: 3
Virginia: 3
Maryland: 3
New Jersey: 3
Connecticut: 3
Utah: 3
Illinois: 2
Michigan: 2
Arizona: 2
Washington: 2
Missouri: 2
Colorado: 2
Kentucky: 2
Kansas: 2
Oklahoma: 2
Mississippi: 2
Arkansas: 2
Louisiana: 2
(D.C.): 1
New Hampshire: 1
West Virginia: 1
Delaware: 1
Minnesota: 1
Oregon: 1
Nevada: 1
Rhode Island: 1
Alabama: 1
Hawaii: 1
New Mexico: 1
Nebraska: 1
Maine: 1
Iowa: 1
Idaho: 1
Vermont: 0
Alaska: 0

As you can see, out of the first 100, every state has at least one MSA with a population of over 500,000 besides Alaska and Vermont. California still tops the list, but it's not exactly blowing everyone out of the water so much on this list.

Ok, time for my two cents.
Like some posters pointed out, Texas and California both had the most, most populous cities and beat everyone else out by alot. Then another poster pointed out that many counties and cities are alot smaller in area in some parts of the country than others. In my opinion, this is list is a much better reflection of the true situation cause MSA's more cover the "true extent" of a city, not it's "actual" limits.

On this list, California came out with 10 MSA's in the top 100, while Texas came out with 6. This time, Texas is beaten by 3 states and matched by 1. Ok, so, 10 and 6 is alot regardless, but you also need to take into account the size of the states.

California and Texas are the 3rd and 2nd largest states in the country, with populations' of 37 million and 25 million respectively. Their count on this list came out to 10 and 6.

While some are near the top, (NY MA PA) others of the Northeast states clearly can't stand on their own, but when taken as whole, the integrated Northeast Region (ME+NH+MA+CT+RI+NY+NJ+PA), an area still smaller than Cali and Texas, the Northeast boasts a population of roughly 55 million and it's MSA count comes out to 26.

If you add the states/city of (DE+MD+DC) which many count as Northeastern due to their heavy integration into Boswash, the MSA count comes out to a total of 31.

One thing to note is that because some of the MSA's like D.C. and Providence fall into multiple states, the number is actually a lil smaller, though this was a per state list. And even so, that still leaves the Northeast's per state count in the mid to high 20's against Cali's 10, and Texas' 6. Someone said "Damn I never realized how many states don't have any large cities." I think this puts things into perspective.

Ok, lastly, someone brought these up so I thought I'd point em out. These are MSA populations, and what positions they landed in on the list.

Providence: 1,600,642 ...37/366
Hartford: 1,195,998 ...45/366
Salt Lake City: 1,130,293 ...48/366
Little Rock: 685,488 ...76/366
Des Moines: 562,906 ...90/366
Jackson: 540,866 ...94/366
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:36 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Like some posters pointed out, Texas and California both had the most, most populous cities and beat everyone else out by alot. Then another poster pointed out that many counties and cities are alot smaller in area in some parts of the country than others. In my opinion, this is list is a much better reflection of the true situation cause MSA's more cover the "true extent" of a city, not it's "actual" limits.

On this list, California came out with 10 MSA's in the top 100, while Texas came out with 6. This time, Texas is beaten by 3 states and matched by 1. Ok, so, 10 and 6 is alot regardless, but you also need to take into account the size of the states.
I don't think even MSA's show the real deal. To be honest nothing does, for some states City Proper works out better, some MSA's, and some CSA's. But take this example, Minneapolis-St. Paul. Two large cities and different cities unfortunately binded together by the same MSA.

Dallas Fort Worth as well.
Check it:
List of Texas metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They even have a metropolitan division for it, that serve basis as two distinct metros if they were ever separated.

None of these lists show the real deal... actually, I have no idea what I'm even getting at, I'll explain tomorrow after rest... night!

Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I don't think even MSA's show the real deal. To be honest nothing does, for some states City Proper works out better, some MSA's, and some CSA's. But take this example, Minneapolis-St. Paul. Two large cities and different cities unfortunately binded together by the same MSA.

Dallas Fort Worth as well.
Check it:
List of Texas metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They even have a metropolitan division for it, that serve basis as two distinct metros if they were ever separated.

None of these lists show the real deal... actually, I have no idea what I'm even getting at, I'll explain tomorrow after rest... night!
Well, I think I know what you're getting at, I think lol. I know this list isn't the real thing at all, but I think it's alot closer to it than that other one was. I was just trying to put a different perspective on things. I mean, see how differently it comes out by set by different parameters? That was my whole point in making this...

...ok, and also I had some fun putting this list together lol.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Well, I think I know what you're getting at, I think lol. I know this list isn't the real thing at all, but I think it's alot closer to it than that other one was. I was just trying to put a different perspective on things. I mean, see how differently it comes out by set by different parameters? That was my whole point in making this...

...ok, and also I had some fun putting this list together lol.
A bit more sobered up after having water, (attended a reception), yeah I can tell you work hard on your post. I do that with a lot of mine too (earlier course in the day though lol).

I think these things tend to differ with every region. Remember you have to take all of New England (a sub-region) to compare it to Texas. You have to take the Mid Atlantic to compare it too California.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but a lot of the states in our country are just designed so differently, that I don't think there would be any way to measure or precisely say which way is more effective.

It's like comparing CSA populations, Boston has like 4,675 square miles, while Los Angeles CSA (which officially includes Inland Empire) is roughly 32,000 square miles.

The counties in Southern California are so massive in land size. The counties in the East coast are very petite in land size.

I think we can agree to disagree here. I find no way to be effective on an overall basis. I'll wait till tomorrow to see if I have the same opinion, as I am currently a bit over exhausted from thinking with a clear mind.

Basically to summarize- I think every region develops this stuff in a different way. Some states only need one city to do it all (example: Arkansas) and some states need more than one city to do it all (example: Ohio).

The metropolitan areas are affected greatly by a cities vicinity to another, a lot of potential "metro areas" can get overshadowed by the one metro policy.

Look at Boston CSA, it includes all of Rhode Island in it's CSA, Providence doesn't even get it's own CSA.

Okay, so I totally know I made some errors in this post, but if you're reading this, try to visualize what I'm trying to say, lol.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:08 AM

I just realized I forgot to list North and South Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming as having zero my list. Too late to edit, so just saying.
No offense to those states missing em, in my defense I did all that at like 4-4:30 am lol. And I'm just about ready to fall asleep soon. -_-

Old 06-13-2010, 06:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Yeah, I would've NEVER expected NY, PA, or Ohio to be that high on the list above TX. I think the Texas Triangle is holding it's own though. So is SoCal.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, I would've NEVER expected NY, PA, or Ohio to be that high on the list above TX. I think the Texas Triangle is holding it's own though. So is SoCal.

It is also interesting that this is the top 100. 101 was another PA region, then 3 more in the next (101 to 125) 25. I was surprised that the Lancaster PA MSA is actually bigger than the Durham/Chapel Hill MSA.

Also to Om's point the area covers even at MSA or CSA does vary widely, even said the NE areas still come out very high on this list.

It was mentioned the 32,000 sq mile area of the LA CSA - that would include 42 million people in the Mid-Atlantic. NY and Philly combined alone are smaller than the Houston CSA.

Also I know these are census deignations but all these MSA are on top of one another and dont get added into CSA metros in the NE. For example Trenton, Allentown, Lancaster (not to mention, AC, Harrisburg, York, Dover etc) all close mile wise (closer than Anaheim to LA) would put the Philly area over 9 million (the later would put it over 11 million in less space than the Houston CSA) but again I digress. One thing this list by MSA does is show the population center more pronounced than the simple city counts. And the distance is what it is - all the people do actually live there.

Ohio also has a large number of MSAs. Ohio has many many midsized cities throughout the state.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Besides Tucson all the other cities are suburban. I think the list is quite interesting.

I expected a few more from New York though.
This is the second time this week I've seen this perception on C-D (that New York state is heavily populated) and it surprises me that people think that. About 40% of the population of New York lives in New York city, which is a pretty small place, area-wise.

Drive sometime from the NY metro area to, say, Syracuse. You'll be traveling for hours through endless farmland.

And then there are the Adirondacks, which claims to be the largest state park in the United States, but when I did a search to confirm that, I get about six other parks in the US claiming to be the same thing, lol. But it's big--about 6 million acres.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is the second time this week I've seen this perception on C-D (that New York state is heavily populated) and it surprises me that people think that. About 40% of the population of New York lives in New York city, which is a pretty small place, area-wise.

Drive sometime from the NY metro area to, say, Syracuse. You'll be traveling for hours through endless farmland.

And then there are the Adirondacks, which claims to be the largest state park in the United States, but when I did a search to confirm that, I get about six other parks in the US claiming to be the same thing, lol. But it's big--about 6 million acres.
I was aware of this. Most of NY is still VERY much rural.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times
Dallas-Fort Worth has 13 cities over 100,000 in population.

Dallas 1,316,350
Fort Worth 720,250
Arlington 374,417
Garland 218,577
Irving 201,927
Plano 267,480
Carrollton 123,799
Denton 119,454
Frisco 101,393
Grand Prairie 153,812
McKinney 121,211
Mesquite 136,750
Richardson 101,400
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City