Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:21 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Based on that list, I don't think you get to make these shots either.

Los Angeles with the nation's third-best public transit system? On what planet?
Yea, I don't see how anyone could consider Los Angeles to have better public transit than Boston, San Francisco, Washington DC, or Philadelphia haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Isn't that why NYC is excluded from the topic?

I am the OP.
~
Well I guess you should have been clearer. You never asked "Which city has the greatest percentage of commuters using public transportation after NYC?" (DC), and you never asked "Which system carried the greatest number of passengers after NYC?" (Chicago). You asked the very generic, totally subjective "What city has the best public transportation system besides NYC?"

I could say Seattle has the best public transportation system because I think their purple streetcars are pretty. And who's to say I'm wrong when no criterion of any kind were specified in the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I say DC has this hands down with Chicago or Boston trailing behind. Chicago is more than 4 times the size of DC so as far ad being more "well-rounded" goes, DC can say the same. Metro rail is probably the busiest transit system in the US (behind NYC)
FYI, there's a lot more to a mass transit system than just a subway system. DC lacks decent commuter rail, an area Chicago excels in. DC Metro doesn't operate 24/7, Chicago does.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea, I don't see how anyone could consider Los Angeles to have better public transit than Boston, San Francisco, Washington DC, or Philadelphia haha.
Keep in mind the source. It's the same guy who spent several pages arguing Portland was the best, yet it doesn't even show up in the top five he is now spouting on about. I think it's pretty clear now that he either doesn't have a clue, is trying to use some form of dialectic to bring us to a different understanding of transit, or is just a clever troll. I'm guessing the first, with a smidgen of the second (in his own mind that is), all of which results in the third.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I really couldn't care less what you decide to hold me to. I'm saying that you are misguided if you think it makes sense to include Baltimore in a discussion about DC's transit usage. To claim otherwise simply shows an ignorance to how distinct the two cities are.
Hmm, who's riding the Camden and Penn MARC lines between Baltimore and DC everyday?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Keep in mind the source. It's the same guy who spent several pages arguing Portland was the best, yet it doesn't even show up in the top five he is now spouting on about. I think it's pretty clear now that he either doesn't have a clue, is trying to use some form of dialectic to bring us to a different understanding of transit, or is just a clever troll. I'm guessing the first, with a smidgen of the second (in his own mind that is), all of which results in the third.
Very true...he also attempted to discredit PARIS' subway system earlier in the thread...ya the city where you're never further than 500 meters from a metro station regardless of your location in the city. I don't know why I even bothered to respond haha.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Please excuse EndersDrift, he has been smoking a little too much bud making him delusional.

jjacob, what is #'s with bus routes?
bt he is actually making sense, and pulling out some sources, i think yall are just clowning on him to much and of coarse are sleeping on portland.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM

I don't think anyone is sleeping on Portland...it's just that no one agrees that it's better or on the same level as Chicago, DC, Boston, San Francisco, or Philly.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
You don't get to make these shots. This is the answer until someone shows any sort of report saying otherwise.

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Washington D.C.
Did you really put Los Angeles at #3. Why are you telling people what to do when you obviously are clueless?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Well I guess you should have been clearer. You never asked "Which city has the greatest percentage of commuters using public transportation after NYC?" (DC), and you never asked "Which system carried the greatest number of passengers after NYC?" (Chicago). You asked the very generic, totally subjective "What city has the best public transportation system besides NYC?"

I could say Seattle has the best public transportation system because I think their purple streetcars are pretty. And who's to say I'm wrong when no criterion of any kind were specified in the OP?

FYI, there's a lot more to a mass transit system than just a subway system. DC lacks decent commuter rail, an area Chicago excels in. DC Metro doesn't operate 24/7, Chicago does.
It was never meant to be a specific question. It's how convenient the public transportation is that determines what city has the best Public Trans (how much coverage and how reliable the systems are for commuters). That's what I was assuming people would understand.

Questions like "Which city has the greatest percentage of commuters using public transportation after NYC?" and "Which system carried the greatest number of passengers after NYC?" can be answered by a quick search on google and doesn't prove much, especially the number of passengers..

Percentage does seem to be a strong factor in determining the best public trans system, but like you mentioned- DC isn't always reliable, and less reliable than Chicago but which city has the better coverage? DC has better coverage IMO.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
DC's public transport ranks high compared to most other cities in the U.S. But it is still largely inadequate, especially for commuters in suburban Maryland and NoVa. The traffic congestion in the area has been intolerable for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City