Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Sure LA may be better in terms of congestion times and stuff.. but how does that make put it in the top 3 OVERALL for public transportation. There is a lot more that goes into then just what you posted.

Heck, the American Public Transportation Association named the RTA (Cleveland) as the best North American public transportation system in 2007... what does that mean to you? And it's only getting better with the Euclid Corridor project. Regional Transit Authority's 'North America's Best' award sure sticks around: Michael K. McIntyre's Tipoff | Michael K. McIntyre's Tipoff - cleveland.com - - cleveland.com

Or is your "congestion" debate all you are basing your rankings off of?
Interesting I looked into the award not some newspaper mentioning it. APTA Honors 'Best of the Best' at Awards Luncheon Celebrating Excellence Within Public Transportation

And then went on to look at their statistics
http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf

And near as I can tell unlike the data by the Transportation Institute that is based only on members. Not all public transportation authorities seem to be members that particular organization. It is still interesting though and better than the people who are just speculating that its DC or Chicago based on their own experiences and few wikipedia pages.

In addition to them not being a research institute encompassing all transit that award was not on overall best. It was awarded on "Safety and Security Excellence"
Bus Safety & Security Excellence Awards

If you review this thread I was the first person to state that there are many ways to consider the best. But maps and riders isn't it and yet that seems to be what every person is going for. As near as I can tell the best way would be to look at which public transportation association either saved the most money, most miles, most innovation, or reduced the cities carbon footprint by the highest percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 03:41 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
I realize you are a brick wall, but none of that matters if people don't use it. Utilization is the first consideration, and the fact that others get this obvious point doesn't mean we lack the ability to read. Go find a bridge to hide under, Enders.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:43 PM

People obviously do use Los Angeles' public transportation if it saves more money than Washington D.C.'s.... think about that one, Henry.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:44 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
If you review this thread I was the first person to state that there are many ways to consider the best. But maps and riders isn't it and yet that seems to be what every person is going for. As near as I can tell the best way would be to look at which public transportation association either saved the most money, most miles, most innovation, or reduced the cities carbon footprint by the highest percentage.
Those considerations might shed some light after factors such as ridership, percentage of area public transport users, coverage and effectiveness of public transport network, etc.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Those considerations might shed some light after factors such as ridership, percentage of area public transport users, coverage and effectiveness of public transport network, etc.
You measure effectiveness on one of the ways I just listed. Coverage and riders are both integral components in calculating miles saved or dollars saved or carbon footprint lowered. There really are no other ways to measure the "effectiveness of public transport network."

When you come up with one and can show a document to verify it I'd love to see it.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
The title states

"What city has the best Public Transportation System" not which one saves the dollars due to effectiveness.

I posted a link that showed that RTA in Cleveland was rated the "Best Public Transportation System"... so how does that not verify what the thread title is asking? You are completely delusional LOL

You are simply looking at ONE factor for good public transportation... You DO realize that don't you?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Public transportation in LA is like almost everything else in LA: You may not find it, but that doesn't mean you should stop looking for it.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

I think a combination of ridership, money saved, coverage, innovation, and reduction of the cities carbon footprint are the best ways to gauge a PT system's effectiveness. Unfortunately for that last criteria, all cities do a universally crappy job.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
read my lips "best transit system". what does transit system mean: getting people from point A to point B. It also means number of options: trains, buses, taxi, bikes, roads, sidewalks, trams, cars etc... Big cities move huge numbers of people on trains because they have to or the city will shut down. Portland wins hands down because overall they have the most options to move people. It's the best system. I've rode the NYC subway. It works because it has to. If it were to shutdown tomorrow have fun getting to work. Lots of people calling in sick. Take whatever city you want and then take away the mode of transportation that you use the most. Then what????? Portland can handle it. If Portland were bigger then the system would be bigger dahhhhh!!!!! I'm impressed by how the subways move so many people around (NYC) just dont think about the numbers so much.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:41 AM

593 posts, read 1,762,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightin one four View Post
read my lips "best transit system". what does transit system mean: getting people from point A to point B. It also means number of options: trains, buses, taxi, bikes, roads, sidewalks, trams, cars etc... Big cities move huge numbers of people on trains because they have to or the city will shut down. Portland wins hands down because overall they have the most options to move people. It's the best system. I've rode the NYC subway. It works because it has to. If it were to shutdown tomorrow have fun getting to work. Lots of people calling in sick. Take whatever city you want and then take away the mode of transportation that you use the most. Then what????? Portland can handle it. If Portland were bigger then the system would be bigger dahhhhh!!!!! I'm impressed by how the subways move so many people around (NYC) just dont think about the numbers so much.
public transit, by definition, is not cars, sidewalks, bikes, or taxis. this whole post is completely nonsensical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City