Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Washington Metro (801,400) + MARC Train (32,000) + Virginia Railway Express (16,000) + WMATA Washington, D.C.—407,800 = 1,257,200

Chicago 'L' (640,000) + Metra (322,100) + South Shore Line (NICTD) (12,500) + CTA Chicago—1,007,400 = 1,982,000

lets not even get into i go...

CTA & I-GO smart card : I-GO Car Sharing (http://www.igocars.org/how/chicago-card-plus-i-go-card/ - broken link)

you can walk up to a car with your bus pass, scan the card on the windshield and reserve it on an iphone.

i.e. if you come into downtown, do some unexpected shopping, just walkover to a parked igo car and go home in that.
you can also track the buses live on gps as they come down the street, so if it is snowing and u don't want to come out of your house yet, just wait a few more minutes, then walk outside, bus will be there.

or secure indoor bike parking right downtown

or the underground pedway
DC has the nation's only bike sharing system in place, and plans to expand it to 10x its current capacity by the end of the year. washingtonpost.com

Plus, the Union Station bike kiosk offers things like secure bike parking, tune-ups and repairs, and bike sharing. Union Station Bike Transit Center Grand Opening Date Set - DCist

DC also has five "Circulator" bus lines, which act like a hybrid between a standard bus line and a streetcar line.

The SmartTrip cards are good on DC's subway and metrobuses, Circulator, Georgetown Metro Connection lines, and most suburban bus lines.

As well, both the Metrobus NextBus and Circulator Mobile systems offer real-time GPS tracking of buses and their locations.

...and let's not forget the soon-to-come streetcar lines. DC Streetcar

Pretty much the only area of transit where DC lags behind comparable cities is in commuter rail--MARC and VRE are awful services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
huh?

dude, look at the maps. portland doesn't even have a subway, is this a joke? have you actually been to and used these other cities systems?

as for international...
nyc/paris/moscow/tokyo/madrid/london

no order, i personally prefer paris, have not used moscow or toyko but i know they are good also.
Those are not the best at all. By your own reasoning the best is solely the place with the most numbers and highest percentages. NYC? Paris? Are you kidding me?

And so what if portland doesn't have a subway? Last I checked Chicago wasn't really a subway either with only a couple of underground stations, hence the name the 'L' (for Elevated)

Old 05-27-2010, 12:55 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Okay so the best Public Transportation in the world than you would say is what? There is only one answer by your definition, and I know what it is - somehow I don't think anyone on here would agree its the best though.
I couldn't tell you, but I suspect you are trying to force me to renounce an apples to orange comparison, which I won't do. It's quite possible that the best public transit system is a bunch of rickshaws in a village in India. That said, obviously there are different urban categories, and while we can't really compare London to this theoretical village, we can compare London to L.A., or Chicago to Portland. You are trying to use an expansive definition of public transportation along with relativistic ratings. Not many are buying it.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I couldn't tell you, but I suspect you are trying to force me to renounce an apples to orange comparison, which I won't do. It's quite possible that the best public transit system is a bunch of rickshaws in a village in India. That said, obviously there are different urban categories, and while we can't really compare London to this theoretical village, we can compare London to L.A., or Chicago to Portland. You are trying to use an expansive definition of public transportation along with relativistic ratings. Not many are buying it.
No its not a theoretical village. Its a major world city. But nobody would ever try to say its the best public transportation even though it has more daily riders than anywhere else in the world.

You gave the definition:
"I've told you already that it is best measured by percentage of population that uses it."

So this city would clearly win. It is Mumbai. The subway gets over 6 million riders a day and over 80% of the population uses some form of public transportation. And yet I don't think a single person here would say the filthy overcrowded double decker buses, ferries, and subways of Mumbai are as good as the modern rails of Tokyo or the sleek and clean subways of Moscow.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Who cares.

Public transportation is for peasants.

Its only cool to people who see it as a novelty: country people, exurbanites, and filthy rich liberals(who don't actually need it).

Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Those are not the best at all. By your own reasoning the best is solely the place with the most numbers and highest percentages. NYC? Paris? Are you kidding me?

And so what if portland doesn't have a subway? Last I checked Chicago wasn't really a subway either with only a couple of underground stations, hence the name the 'L' (for Elevated)
its heavy rail last time i checked, nyc also had elevated trains

by ANY LOGICAL REASONING portland is out... layoff whatever you are smoking.

and yes those are the best in the world.
paris has a subway stop under 1/3 mile of EVERY address in the entire city!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 PM

470 posts, read 1,155,346 times
San Francisco....

Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
DC has the nation's only bike sharing system in place, and plans to expand it to 10x its current capacity by the end of the year. washingtonpost.com

Plus, the Union Station bike kiosk offers things like secure bike parking, tune-ups and repairs, and bike sharing. Union Station Bike Transit Center Grand Opening Date Set - DCist

DC also has five "Circulator" bus lines, which act like a hybrid between a standard bus line and a streetcar line.

The SmartTrip cards are good on DC's subway and metrobuses, Circulator, Georgetown Metro Connection lines, and most suburban bus lines.

As well, both the Metrobus NextBus and Circulator Mobile systems offer real-time GPS tracking of buses and their locations.

...and let's not forget the soon-to-come streetcar lines. DC Streetcar

Pretty much the only area of transit where DC lags behind comparable cities is in commuter rail--MARC and VRE are awful services.
Cleveland also has those Circulator buses. And DC is not the only city with the bike kiosks.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Whether a system is elevated, underground, or both, it is still a heavy rail/rapid transit system which most people when they seem them either call them "train" or "subway" lol.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
It may not beat Tokyo, but Mumbai is clearly ahead of Portland. And just so you understand that you are wrong, I said it was "best measured." That doesn't mean "only measured." Other important measures include safety, cleanliness, comfort. But if it only serves a small minority of the overall population, the rest of those considerations don't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City