Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I stand corrected, although DC was the first U.S. city to introduce such a system--I've had a membership now for two years.
Denver started theirs during the 2008 Democratic National Convention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Denver started theirs during the 2008 Democratic National Convention.
DC started their's in August 2008. DCist: SmartBike DC Open for Business

Denver started their's in April 2010. Denver Launches First Large-scale Citywide Bicycle Sharing Program in the U.S.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Good for Cleveland. But not really relevant to this discussion, since Cleveland's public transit doesn't compete with any of the cities being discussed here.
Somebody thought Portland belonged in this discussion, so why not Cleveland? They both have circulators.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Done.
It makes no sense to compare DC's CSA to Chicago's in terms of comparing transit ridership. Baltimore is its own distinct metropolitan area, and the number of transit riders from Baltimore to DC is comparatively miniscule (you'd have to factor in Amtrak ridership as well if you were going to proceed down this path).

For a more appropriate comparison, you'd need to include Milwaukee's numbers with Chicago's--but that wouldn't make sense either. In this case, the MSA-to-MSA comparison is most appropriate.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Somebody thought Portland belonged in this discussion, so why not Cleveland? They both have circulators.
My comment wasn't related to Portland. Philly, San Fran, Boston, Chicago and DC all have at least 25% of commuters taking public transit every day. Cleveland is at 12%--it's not in the same league, with or without its Circulators.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Who cares.

Public transportation is for peasants.

Its only cool to people who see it as a novelty: country people, exurbanites, and filthy rich liberals(who don't actually need it).
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic, but I think that is a terribly outdated view that is unfortunately still held by some people.

IMO, It's just ludicrous to associate public transportation with people of lesser means, especially when it often saves comfortably middle-class people lots of time and money.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
portland is also at 12% if the wiki chart I posted is accurate.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
jjacobclark... why do you keep ignoring my posts when I've put up data. You go straight to 14thandyou every time.

If you include Baltimore then include Milwaukee. Milwaukee's public transit is a joke. It's stupid either way. Milwaukee is just as different from Chicago as Baltimore is from DC. No one else has backed you up if you haven't noticed. This is because you are wrong and posting facts of unrelated things.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
jjacobclark... why do you keep ignoring my posts when I've put up data. You go straight to 14thandyou every time.

If you include Baltimore then include Milwaukee. Milwaukee's public transit is a joke. It's stupid either way. Milwaukee is just as different from Chicago as Baltimore is from DC. No one else has backed you up if you haven't noticed. This is because you are wrong and posting facts of unrelated things.
lol what? That would be totally fine by me, but people on this board do not want to include Milwaukee as part of Chicagoland..even though in reality there are trains going there from the loop all day long...

DC and SF always get the nod to boost up their metros with jobs and pops from Baltimore and SJ though

so sure u can knock Chicago area for its public trans while keeping DC B in the same league... just give Chicago 12.5 million metro next time in the threads too and realize Chi and LA is in a 2nd tier all by themselves as far as U.S. cities go, they are after all, the only two other alpha cities in the U.S. after NYC. adn this is not from some city data poll

I think chicago system is great, i voted dc #2 in my post though already.

ps the area just got over an 800 million dollar fed money for high speed rail

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...es-chicago.PDF

Last edited by grapico; 05-27-2010 at 05:09 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Last I checked Chicago wasn't really a subway either with only a couple of underground stations, hence the name the 'L' (for Elevated)
The Subway is much smaller than the Elevated system - but I wouldn't really say it's "not really a subway with only a couple underground stations".

There are 21 subway stations - most of them very highly used in the central areas. Lots of people don't even realize there's a subway at all - and it actually has more stations than the totals of some entire systems.

This thread is really turning into a pissing match though!

I would say it's a tossup between DC and Chicago. DC has awesome rail usage/coverage in the main urban area, and Chicago has very extensive coverage over quite a very large area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City